Heavily Armed 29mm Applewhite Saucer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
A while back I converted a 13mm Applewhite saucer to an "Aerodyne" from the G. Harry Stine novel Warbots.
Here's the thread- https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=13126&highlight=Aerodyne

It was a lotta fun, and it came out pretty cool. Art Applewhite liked it, and he gave me a 29mm version to work with! Art is very cool. Anyhow, it has taken me forever, but I have finnally started make a more detailed Aerodyne from the 29mm kit. The following pics are of the detailing phases. The kit has been reinforced with epoxy as the instructions suggest. I have flown this model just primed a few times. I highly reccomend it to everyone. It's an awesome kit!

These first two show styrene details on the top and bottom.

The little black things on the bottom are autocannons I scratch built fot the 13mm version that didn't get used. I mounted two forward, and two facing to the rear. Here's a bigger pic of one of them.

This is another cannon view. They are made of balsa blocks with styrene barrells and parts.

I wanted to really detail this larger saucer, so I bought a set of Hasagawa 1/72 Aircract weapons to cut up and play with. I made two custom mounts to hold four aim missles. Each has a forward facing, and a rear facing missle. I also added a nub to two 30mm cannon pylons to attach my missles. Then I grabbed a couple bomb despensors to stick on it for good measure..:D This saucer is armed to the teeth..

That's all I have for now. It has to be done before the 4th for a contest, so I'll get finished pics up around then hopefully. Wish me luck..

Parts? pictures of parts is ok but finish the d*** model, i want to see this baby!

/end long distance abuse

i just posted so i'd be notified when you post more pics. :D

when do you head to MD? oburg is 8/12-13

Easey Chuck..Your blood pressure...Did you take your meds?...

I think we are open here on the 12th and 13th..I may be wrong. I'll check.

I am still detailing. I got some parts I needed about an hour ago. I got paint yesterday. At least I don't need to test this one, I know it works!

This is top view of the details I added. Styrene, and plastic screening.

Now to the paint. I did the top like my own sort of desert camo. It's a future vehical, so ifigured why not make some thing up..

The bottom is shades of blue, like on a WWII plane. I don't have any bottom pics yet, as the ship is still on display at the Hobby Shop for the contest.

The decals are Microscale Carrier aircraft, NAVY logo from Quest Tomahawk, windshield from Estes Space shuttle, and one Warhammer 40 symbol that I don't remember it's source (a tank most likely).

When I get it back from the hobby shop I'll post pics of the bottom.

Than stand is actually a stand in...I am working on landing gear feet attached to a used 29mm motor that fit in it for display. They work really well with the saucer theme. But....Not enough time to finish them before the contest. So I made the one you see. The top thingy visable in the hole in the saucer in the first pic is made from a spent d motor, and a motor plug to fill the hole in the motor. A little paint, and it came out okay. I'll post pics of the finished feet (if I ever finish them:rolleyes: )

Back