Heat resistant streamer material

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crepe streamer sold in Party Stores is fire resistant.

However, I don't use it, as it tears too easily.

But crepe paper is so cheap!

After the fourth of July holiday my local store had red, white and blue crepe paper on sale fore $0.10 a roll!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
But crepe paper is so cheap!

After the fourth of July holiday my local store had red, white and blue crepe paper on sale fore $0.10 a roll!

sandman

Could you use it as wadding?:cool:

I never thought of using it for wadding...:confused:

If I ever use up that bale of dog barf I'll have to try it.

Yea...right...!:D I'm gonna be a very very old man when I use that all up.

sandman

P.S....Don't say it!:kill:

for wadding,

probably depends on how biodegradable the paper is

I've used the crepe paper sheets as wadding.
I think the sheet goods is a little heavier than the rolls.
But I could be mistaken.
Just make sure the package says 'flame resistant' or what ever it says...;)

I use the roll crepe paper as a supplement to Estes wadding frequently. It is a bit stiffer than the Estes stuff but seems to work well with model rockets.

I have not bought a bail -o- barf yet. That's an awfull lot of material for my needs.

for ejection wadding...it gives off extremely toxic fumes when heated.

https://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/education/articles-detail.asp?Main_ID=600

Birds sometimes drop dead when they remain in a room where a nonstick pan is heated. Fumes and particles released by heated nonstick coatings cause birds' lungs to hemorrhage and fill with fluid. Teflon fumes can also sicken humans with "polymer fume fever". The symptoms are easily confused with those from the flu. DuPont warns of the risks to birds and humans on the company's website, attributing the problem to accidentally overheating cookware. DuPont also maintains that the fumes cause no lasting health effects.

elapid:

By the time the rocket hit the ground from altitude, any fumes that may have been generated from ejection charge heat and the teflon streamer will have been dissipated........

I got some 2 mil mylar from the plastics store. it's a bit too stiff for parachutes but makes great streamers.

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
elapid:

By the time the rocket hit the ground from altitude, any fumes that may have been generated from ejection charge heat and the teflon streamer will have been dissipated........

i'd bet we get a lot more exposure from eating dinner, but i'd bet 10 bucks that you won't go sniffing the body tube to find out!
:D

hehehee

so, what about mylar nomex, or kevlar fabric for streamer material?

elapid:

sure you cna use mylar(plastic) or nomex(paper) or kevlar(cloth) as streamers with the kevlar cloth probably being the most heat resistant of the three with mylar last.....

the original question was for a heat resistant stremer material....

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
colored Teflon Tape at www.mcmaster.com

I just tested some. It didn't burn, but it did warp and curl. I gave it two seconds directly in a butane flame, which probably was more total heat than it'd get from an ejection charge. I could pull most of the curling back out, but it didn't go back to flat.

I just use mylar since it's so reflective. It also warps and curls, but it's so cheap, it's disposable. If it gets too curled, I just trash it, just like cheap Estes/Quest/etc. plastic chutes.

Back