Header Pins On Avionics, How Reliable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
In your experience, how reliable were header pins on your rocket avionics? How did they perform compared to other types of connectors in the long term?

The weak[er] point of most designs.
I often remove the headers and solder leads directly to the PCB.
Some vendors will sell boards without the headers -- love those accommodating types ;-)

Headers for use on the bench to do things like code/firmware updates are perfectly fine. Headers for flight controls that must be connected during flight, I much prefer some kind of connector (i.e. Molex, JST, etc.) with positive retention. Headers for jumpers to making config selections are ok but not ideal.

Most header sockets only have two points of contact, so a movement in the other plane can make them come loose. I wouldn't use one in flight. Soldering to the board is best; screw terminals with solid pins soldered to the wires are good too, just make sure the screws are tightened before every flight. And regardless, your wires should be zip-tied or otherwise immobilized.

Back