Quantcast

Header Pins On Avionics, How Reliable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Just a teen who likes building rockets
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In your experience, how reliable were header pins on your rocket avionics? How did they perform compared to other types of connectors in the long term?

FredA

Reaction score
The weak[er] point of most designs.
I often remove the headers and solder leads directly to the PCB.
Some vendors will sell boards without the headers -- love those accommodating types ;-)

heada

Reaction score
Headers for use on the bench to do things like code/firmware updates are perfectly fine. Headers for flight controls that must be connected during flight, I much prefer some kind of connector (i.e. Molex, JST, etc.) with positive retention. Headers for jumpers to making config selections are ok but not ideal.

Voyager1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would only use latching header connectors for onboard wiring with cable ties to secure wiring to the boards, and the wiring between connected boards.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Most header sockets only have two points of contact, so a movement in the other plane can make them come loose. I wouldn't use one in flight. Soldering to the board is best; screw terminals with solid pins soldered to the wires are good too, just make sure the screws are tightened before every flight. And regardless, your wires should be zip-tied or otherwise immobilized.