Head-End Dual Deployment Details & Explanations Requested

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this. What's the best way to secure the eye bolt in the inside tip of a plastic NC in this configuration? I've considered trying it but without a stepped aluminium tip I was concerned that embedding the eye bolt in rocket caviar and cross wires wouldn't be enough (..?)
Most people will poo-poo this, but on my Formula 75, I epoxied the harness to the inside of the NC. It has held up for 5 or 6 flights so far and shows no sign of wear.

Most people will poo-poo this, but on my Formula 75, I epoxied the harness to the inside of the NC. It has held up for 5 or 6 flights so far and shows no sign of wear.
Thanks - good to know. If it works on a F75, it'll work on the project I have in mind.. [emoji1]

Think outside the box...we don't need no stink'n E-bolt..lol just a loop!
When building rockets you must come up with all types of strange solutions...lol:cool:

On lightweight plastic cones..[all of them lol] I make a loop of 1/4 kevlar [or anything] tie it together with your favorite knot, I just use an overhand.
Slip a washer and 1/4 inch nut over kevlar and slide down to the knot.
Scuff up inside tip with screwdriver or end of file.
Drop it in NC and foam the tip 3-4 inches . 2 part urethane foam [wildman sells it.PML sell it etc.]
NC being plastic and foam can create heat, put it in water to keep from deforming.
This one was in the instructions for wildman Sport, which was single deploy so I didn't care how much was used.Obviously you need less and need room for chute in HED.

Size glass to cone and I fill with ice/water. Trust me foam STICKS to anything and stays put!

DSCN3371.jpg DSCN3372.jpg DSCN3378.jpg DSCN3395.jpg DSCN3396.jpg

Wow, Jim, that's one I would not have thought of. I guess the only catch is to make sure you still have enough room for the chute after the foam is in.

Finally got round to flying a (sorta) DIY HED arrangement over the weekend. I picked up an old second hand gelcoat 4" NC a while ago. The interior was too rough and uneven to allow a smooth fit of the Av coupler, so rather than saw the NC shoulder off I made a short 'collar' from a length of aiframe, so the shoulder of the NC butted up to the forward bulkplate of the Av bay. I used an existing Av bay and a 4" booster from two different earlier projects. So slight adjustments but the basic principle was the same - main chute packed in NC. Cloud base was pretty low so I flew it on an I345 - Dual deploy wasn't really necessary given the altitude (SLCF said 1983') but it was a nice little low 'n' slow try out..
Flight picture courtesy H.A.R.T. Rockets

First HED Flight.jpg
First HED recovery 3_11_19.jpg

Last edited:
You can't do Head End Deployment unless main is in NC, you must do some type of hybrid unless you do this, which i designed for plastic cones....
Now you have standard dual deploy with altimeter. Apogee blows off coupler/av-bay and main blows off NC.

You can convert any plastic NC to HED by cutting bottom off leaving just 2inches of shoulder to glue a 3-4 in section of airframe on. Then av-bay will slide right in.

What you are talking about is dual deploy from single "break" in airframe. Done by many by the way.

View attachment 387555

The more l look at this approach, the more I like it. Is there any reason why this isn't the default/preferred DD approach? The complication of mounting the shock chord to the NC?

It works fantastic for shorter scale rockets where no room or high performance where every inch counts.
But also needs good packing skills.
Most just prefer a large bay for chutes and sport flying...there are as many reasons as there are fliers...lol
You find several kits now with HED [head end reply] out there, Wildman Jarts...Punishers..and several more.
Fiberglass spiral wound cones are easy conversion, since couple/shoulder can be converted to av-bay by just adding a vent band....easy peasy .

The issue I was addressing was converting plastic cones with built in shoulder, which has it's own complications,but you are right it saves weight...higher flights...better performance.:cool:

Back