Hazmat fee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmlkid

Reaction score
I have seen that these Hazmat fees are going up and up man it was $20.00 then 22.50 now its 25.00 :jaw: :bang:

Yeah, paper costs keep going up, and then the pay for people to shuffle said paperwork is going up too..Why I try to buy all my reloads from on site vendors..I will shuffle my own paperwork, thank you very much..

All tongue in cheek..But, yeah, kinda makes ya wonder....

I have seen that these Hazmat fees are going up and up man it was $20.00 then 22.50 now its 25.00 :jaw: :bang:

Last I heard FedEx was charging $22.50, I didn't know it went up to $25.00. A side note, UPS was always higher than FedEx. It really doesn't matter, there is no choice in the matter. The consumer winds up paying one way or another.

Buy on line or buy on the field, the reality is you are helping the vendor pay these fees. The vendor is able to spread the fees over several re-loads, saving you money.

PS
LOKI has a lot of 38mm reloads that can be legally shipped USPS Surface Only. This includes all of the H motors and about half of the I's.

Buy LOKI

Buy on line or buy on the field, the reality is you are helping the vendor pay these fees. The vendor is able to spread the fees over several re-loads, saving you money.

Yep, or put together a group buy -- it's cheaper for the consumers, and also easier for the vendor, because they're making one shipment, and doing one set of paperwork, rather than multiple.

I do encourage buying from your on-field vendors.

-Kevin

Remembers when it was $5. The RC guys can get their plane fuel w/o hazmat when bought in quart bottles.

Probably ORM-D in quarts. Gallons are haz-mat.

So order lots of motors to minimize the cost or pick on ones that don't ship haz-mat.

The $5 fee stated way back in the 80's.

Al

PS
LOKI has a lot of 38mm reloads that can be legally shipped USPS Surface Only. This includes all of the H motors and about half of the I's.

Buy LOKI

:headbang:

That includes spitfire propellent! H100 :w:

Unfortunately, our on site vendor retired when the lawsuit was won, and my hobbytown stopped carrying AT SUs and reloads :rolleyes:

Last edited:
PS

Buy LOKI

How come Loki motors don't require a hazmat fee? Can they be used in Aerotech cases?

Loki does charge Hazmat. Most any motor that is not in the hobby line class that falls under the USPS ground shipping guidelines does.

This is true. As long as the individual grains are less than 30 grams. This allows shipment by UPS (Parcel Post Surface Only) under an exemption. This applies to all manufacturers that have the proper DOT documentation and a letter of authority from the Post Master Generals Office.

As I said .... all of the LOKI H motors and about half of the I's can be shipped USPS Surface Only ..... no hazmat.

Aerotech did have certain loads that also ship this way. This was the concept of easy access. I usually buy my stuff on site or during a sale and make the order worth the hazmat fee. At the field I usually end up paying list price, but this also keeps a local vender. Spread out over a 300.00 dollar order the hazmat is not that bad. I look at like fuel going to a launch.

Back