Hawker P1216

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoVictor

Reaction score
Weather (and new house) not being condusive to painting, I found myself itching to do a scratch build this evening. Every so often, I like to meander around the internet and look at concept aircraft to get some ideas for rocket design. Here's one I've had my eye on for the past year or so;

1216-2a.jpg

It's called the Hawker P1216, and it was a proposal for a replacement for the BAe Harrier. I did a little bit of messing around, and here's what I came up with....

100_1975.jpg

100_1981.jpg

100_1977.jpg

100_1980.jpg

100_1982.jpg

Nose cone is the PNC-55IR cockpit-style from the Interceptor II. Main body is a section of BT-55 I had laying around that's just long enough to fit the 'chute right in front of the 18mm engine mount. Side pods are a 18" long BT-20 cut in half with PNC-20Y nose cones on the end.

Very interested to see how she'll swing-test......

Later,
EV

Woohoo! Taped her up to the kite string tonight, and did a little swingin'. Attached to both the side and the top, she swung-tested perfectly in both orientations, no nose weight required. I think having the engine mounted amidships is what really helps it out.

Well, on to sealing/sanding/painting....

Later,
EV

That looks neat. Might have to end up making an upscaled glider version of this sometimes. Where did you end for a boost CG that tested correctly? (assuming you had a loaded motor installed, of course)

Sort of a cross between the F14 and F16, isnt it?

Adding no nose weight whatsoever, the CG wound up about 1.5~2" forward of the rear edge of the body tube with a C6-5 installed.

If you do a search on the actual aircraft proposal, the front end looks very much like an F-16. When I first thought of turning this into a rocket, I just knew I had to use that PNC-55IR.

Later,
EV

Had a little time and some nicer weather yesterday, so I started painting this sucker. First, I needed to figure out a color scheme. A little bit of internet research led me to an artist who did some concept renderings of what this plane would have looked like if it had gone into service in the UK. Here's the one that's close to what I'm going to do;

P1216A_UKRAF87_2.jpg

I started by laying down a nice shade of grey Kilz (the camera flash makes it look lighter than it really is);
100_1993.jpg

Next up is the camo pattern. I'm going to use a dark green instead for a little more contrast. As luck would have it, I went through my old pile of decals and I found some old plastic model Harrier decals. I did that kit in USMC markings, so I still have all the British markings. Since this aircraft was originally intended to be the Harrier's replacement, I figure using old Harrier decals is quite fitting!

Later,
EV

Here's the camo, done with a spray can and curved piece of cardstock as a mask;

100_1995.jpg

Later,
EV

Ay caramba! 25-year old decals are officially a pain in the rear to deal with. Either it was fragile and tearing, or the backing paper leaving a light blue mess underneath the decal. Glad that's over! Results;

100_1997.jpg

100_1996.jpg

100_1999.jpg

Later,
EV

SUCCESS!!!

Flew this past weekend with my old club in WI (https://www.wooshrocketry.org/) for the "Decertified Launch of Death".

Got the Hawker up in the air twice; once on a B6-4 and again on a C6-7. Both flights were wayyyyy straighter than I thought they would be.

Gratuitous launch shot;
100_2002.jpg

Now all I need are some 1/32 plastic model Sidewinders for the side rails. Anyone have any extra lying around they're willing to part with?

Later,
EV

Looks great. During launch, did the rocket have a relatively slow take-off?

John

It really reminds me of spaceship one, with the motor in the central body and two tail booms.

EV,

Outstanding!

I give up! I quit!

I just wanted to post a few simple designs.... but NOooooo...

You have to post this outstanding design and em-bear-ass the rest of US!
Thanks Buddy! See if I reply to your inquiry's!

'Enuff ranting... You are Master! Thank you for your post!

Your servant,:eek:

Daniel

Dude,

don't sell yourself short. That A-7 Corsair II of yours is flippin' sweet! :D I hope you realize that after seeing how well yours looks, I'm going to have to try to build one sometime with an Estes Crusader Swing-Wing nose cone from Moldin' Oldies.

I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next!

Later,
EV

Hmm...

you have given me inspiration for the "EMRR Design this Spaceship" contest...

which has this as a challenge subject:

2010_camaro.jpg

Methinks there are similarities.

Back