Hawaii?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visit a black sand beach
Eat some fancy Spam delicacy. Served everywhere.
Any Tourist trap at Hilo, for fancy Hawaiian shirts. Just to see them..LOL Think Wal-Mart Super Store with nothing else but wall to wall shirts.
Visit Volcano....just don't fall in. If your sister mis-behaves...sacrifice her to the Godz by throwing her in.
Sunset beach....at sunset of course!
Out driving around site seeing ? Stop at one of the many stands serving fried shrimp, near the "shrimp farms."
Rent a convertible & go for a drive, with the top down around the Island.

Oh yeah, while driving around in your convertible with the top down,turn the radio up while listening to Don Ho's Tiny Bubbles & Yell loudly every time you see other tourists.....

"Book'em Dano!"

I enjoyed the black sand beach I went to. Burnt my feet and froze to death in a span of 20 seconds. Very beautiful and a must do. I enjoyed Hawaii and Maui. I really go into the fish. If I were to go back, spear fishing would be on the top list of must do's.

Took a bike tour and was taken to a grotto where Mitzi Gaynor did a song "Gonna wash that man right out of my hair". Tour guide said, "Kurt, why don't you swing out on the rope into that pool." Ok. Turned out it was mountain ice water runoff and I never
felt such a cold jolt in my life. Everyone of course was laughing. Kurt

Anyone here ever been to Hawaii? The fam is planning on visiting next year. What are places to go/avoid? We're outdoor enthusiasts, so hiking/swimming/snorkeling/scuba diving is all a plus. :)

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Matt

My wife and I have been a total of three times - once for our honeymoon, once on a "conference" trip, and once for a big vacation. We've been to Oahu, Hawaii (the Big Island) and Kauai. Of the three, we'd go back to the Big Island in a heartbeat, and Kauai would be a close second. Kauai is beautiful and undeveloped. If you want awesome waves and want to go on a multi-day primitive hike, Kauai may be for you. But it is small and undeveloped, so getting from A to B can be time-consuming.

Oahu, as others have mentioned, is very busy. If you're a "see the nightlife" type, it could be fun, I guess, but your "swimming and snorkeling" comment makes me think no.

The Big Island, for us, was perfect. It's big enough that you can spend hours driving around and exploring. It's home to something like 11 of the 13 ecosystems on earth, including alpine tundra (this is what happens when you have a massive volcano on a tropical island). Some of the things we did:
-Snorkeling: As many others have said, the "Revealed" guides are top-notch. Buy one and go where they say to go. Really, it's hard to find "bad" snorkeling. We dipped in to the beach where the Ironman starts and within 10 minutes were gawking at schools of beautiful fish; we even saw a few eels.
-Waipio Valley: RENT A JEEP. YOU WILL NEED IT. Because you want the top off and you want 4wd. The road down to Waipio is something like a 25% grade and it's somewhere between disconcerting and terrifying, (it's a paved road but you must have 4wd because of the grade) I was more freaked out by going up than coming down. When you get down to the bottom, just bask in the majesty. It's where the Kings of Hawaii were crowned and it's a majestic place.
-Volcanoes National Park: Must-see. Definitely hike across the volcano, explore some caves.
-Pololu: Black sand beach on the northern shore of the island. Swimming is inadvisable - the breakers were rough when we were there and it's usually pretty deserted, probably because it's a good half-hour scramble to get down there.
-Kona Coffee Trail: This is kind of fun - getting to see how coffee is grown and harvested. And oh goodness, such good coffee.
-I don't remember the name, but there's a macadamia nut pie place that is insanely good.
-If you do nothing else, go see a sunset at the top of Mauna Kea. You will need either to go with an expedition or to have 4wd. The road is TOTALLY navigable for someone with little to no experience off-roading (heck, we saw some very much FWD rental cars doing it) but I'd recommend 4wd. The expedition was cool but a bit pricey - they come and pick you up at the hotel, take you halfway up, feed you supper to let you acclimate, then take you to the top and give you parkas (it can get really cold up there). Then - if you do the tour - you have hot chocolate and get to stargaze in one of the best places in the world to do that.

I probably can think of more stuff, but that's at the top of my head. Enjoy it, wherever you end up.

Most people who go to Hawaii the first time go to Oahu, but we prefer Maui since we are more the outdoorsy type and it is better suited to our personality. At one time Wayne and I held the second fastest bike descent down Haleakala, back when you could do it from the top (now you have to start from the Park boundary). We booked a private Sunrise ride and our guide (who held the fastest time) actually spent a good portion of our descent sitting backwards on his bike talking to us :surprised:. https://mauimountaincruisers.com/

When we were there, coming down from Haleakala we saw a bike pileup with what looked like some serious injuries. No way would I consider biking down that winding road at anything other than a very controlled rate.

Sorry Mike...

The International Market Place was torn out. It was supposed to be replaced by a luxury retailer. I'm not sure, but those plans may have changed, and a new International Market Place apparently is supposed to open this August. No matter what, the International Marketplace you remember is gone.

Wow, even the huge mango tree that covered it?

Next you'll be telling me that the Shore Bird doesn't have Bikini contests anymore.....

Mike

Last edited:
When our family last went to Kauai and I almost got a tour of the Barking Sands missile base.. Unfortunately cancelled for secret locked down testing.. The place was teaming with numerous Large Marines in their blue camo.. The east end of the base in impossible swamp for several miles. Reminded me of the impassable swamp land around NASA in Florida.

.... Xx

On top of all that, there's this annoying fact. Where they dive, it's a sandy bottom, with nothing natural to attract fish and other wildlife. The subs on Maui and the Big Island have natural features which (though I haven't done it personally) would be far more interesting to look at (provided you're on the correct side of the sub to see it). I'd be far more interested in checking out the subs on Maui or the Big Island than the one on Oahu.

The other Oahu sub experience (USS Bowfin) is something I haven't had the opportunity to try. I did get a guided tour of the USS Missouri, which was very good indeed (though the cost of lunch and drinks was a tad (read: REALLY) expensive).

Well, a toilet failure would make the sub ride a lot less fun, but I bet that is a pretty rare occurrence.

I completely enjoyed the sub ride as a rare opportunity to travel underwater in great comfort in something unique to most of us average folks. I had no trouble seeing everything on the ride, even though some passes were made on the side opposite me.

My only mild complaint was the overall barren nature of the bottom off Wakiki Beach there. The artificial stuff did attract a lot of wildlife and in my book, made that part of the experience pretty good, if not exceptional.

The Oahu sub trip ride does get 4 stars on Trip Advisor and that would my rating as well.

I am looking forward to another sub ride with a better bottom destination, one of these days.

https://atlantisadventures.com/submarines/

Last edited:
Was stationed there back in '79 thru '81. Lots to do on Oahu. Snorkling is best at hanauma bay, fish persevere, can see lots of morey eels and beautiful fish. Like swimming in an aquarium. Glider flights at Dillingham. Learned how to hang glide on the east shore. Body surfing was a blast but you need November thru March to really have fun doing that. International Market place in Honolulu is the best for fresh fruit, and beach supplies.

Mike

Let me say that my wife and I have visited the three island tour twice and will return a third time within the next 2 years.
Flying into Oahu, I agree to see the Arizona Memorial first thing and beat the crowds. Get it out of the way.
Second, the earlier in the morning you start the climb up to Diamond Head, the better....read that, less heat, though up top, theres a great view and steady wind flow.
A little farther around the east side you come to the collapsed crater that forms a state park: Snorkling is best at hanauma bay If you don't bring your own flippers and mask, rent them, and try to stay much of the day. WARNING: Coral will rip your knees and toes.

Nice place to pick up your clothing suveniers (Hawaiian shirt, tie, scarf, etc) is the International Street Fair. Dress for tropical conditions...shorts, tenis shoes, polo shirt, jacket, swim suit. It's all you'll need, really, for most days.
DON"T invest in a $45 surfing lession for an hour unless you are actively in shape, and it's on your bucket list. It takes hours of practice and a great sense of balance is critical.

You'll need transportation to get to anything that is not along Wikiki Beach and downtown Honolulu. So consider taking a cab out to diamond head, or hanauma bay ... But taking a circle island tour by bus or van will show you the sights and the guide will point out significant features. Later, if you want to return, that's the time for a rental car.

Our second island was the Big Island...a much slower pace. Very worth visiting the Orchad Farm, Mona Laua factory, and the Volcanos National Park, Thurston Lava tube, and such. We stayed overnight in Shereton Kona complex and rode out an earthquake there once. Walkable to turtle bay for snokeling, KLM Resturant in the shoping plaza for good views and shopping.

We rent a car on the second day on the big Island and then drive around to the north tip, along the spine of the island and marvel at the difference between the wet and dry sides of the island. Haven't biked down the mountain yet, but I would do that also. Note: Rental cars are forbidden from driving over the saddle road. It's in the contract. Respect that.

Maui is upscale, but we had some of the best snorkling at the breakwater pool near Kawaaipani Beach on the west side. We rented a car and foind Iola Park, and then did half the road to Hana circuit before turning back. The big surf along the north side of the island is inspiring, but on a group tour, you can't stay and wander for long. So maybe do both...take an all day circle tour van and then the next day get a rental car to poke about on your own. Lots of shops in Lahani and whale watching tour excursion from there in March/Spring is worth every penny. Not sure the whales are still there by mid summer or Fall though.

We haven't gotten to Kaqui yet, but will be doing that as our second of three island tour next trip. The tour group is now skipping the Big Island because of the frequency of Volcano Natl Park being socked in with Vog (Volcanic Fog) which annoys some people with breathing troubles and obscures the view of the crater on some days. Be we LOVED the slower, agricultural pace of the big island and recommend including it.)

Can't advise on Kaqui yet, but understand it has lush views, Jurassic Park reminents and some special valleys and clefts in the rocks to view and enjoy. Haven't done any helicopter rides yet either.

Hope this helps.

If you go to the big island, there is a green sand beach near the southern most tip. It's a little hike to it, but it is pretty cool. Just be careful of the treacherous rip currents. If you get washed out to sea, there isn't any land between you and Antartica.

FWIW....I highly recommend the big island. Black sand beaches, a tropical rain forest, a snow capped mountain with a world class observatory....and ACTIVE VOLCANOES. It doesn't get much better than that.

I have lived in Hawaii for over 20 years and just moved back to the mainland one year ago. I lived in Honolulu next to Ala Moana. For those of you who have not visited in the past few years, Honolulu has changed (including Waikiki) to where you might not recognize the place. There is an incredible amount of construction going on right now. Someone mentioned International Marketplace; it was demo'd about a year and a half ago and they are close to finishing the new mall which will be mainly luxury shopping.

My perspective as a long time resident is a bit different so if you are going to be staying on Oahu for sure let me know and I can suggest some hikes that I really like. For myself the best places are Oahu and the Big Island. I love the volcano and Mauna Kea.

The best part is that you are on vacation...enjoy the weather, water, sun and be a tourist. My tips for a fun trip are to respect the ocean, land people don't know how powerful it is and it shows no mercy. Leave nothing in your car when you go somewhere. Not even for 10 seconds.

Maui:
Road to Hana (take a tour, don't try to drive it yourself (less stress, more info (thanks to the guide)).

I liked all the Maui ideas.. The volcano bike ride was one of my favorites.

For the road to Hana I bought a used tent on the Maui Craigslist and we camped at the campground in Hana for a couple of days. Made for a much less stressful driving trip because we didnt have to make it there and back in one day. For $10 a night camping we where able to easily and inexpensively extend our Hawaii trip and do more sight seeing the Hana side of the island. Besides where else can a person fight with a real live Mongoose over the BBQed hamburgers!!!!

IMG_0315.jpg

Latest posts

Back