Have you seen the Green Comet( tm)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct, this one is visually near Polaris the north 🌟. Probably need binoculars to see it.

Tom Hanks Snot GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I might be able to view it before dawn. The North sky is darker at work than home, but I'm not sure if my binoculars are strong enough for this one.

I saw it 2 nights ago. I needed binoculars. It was very dim, comparable to the Andromeda galaxy. And I didn’t notice any green to it.

It is getting further away and the moon is nearing full…

I saw it last weekend through someone else's binoculars which were on a tripod. I had failed to locate it with my own binoculars before that. Was a pale smudge at that time. Cloudy skies have kept me from seeking it out again since.

Here in the Northeast, it's been consistently cloudy, and now it's about to get so bone chillingly cold that I'm not venturing out after sunset. That said, I have a friend who sent me an image from a Florida Observatory... Good enough for me. I remember Hale-Bopp though, and saw that very clearly through binoculars.

Attachments

• IMG_6240.jpg
    IMG_6240.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Probably both the most spectacular and disappointing things I've ever seen were both comets. Halleys being the disappointment and McNaught being the most spectacular for me in the location I was when they swung by.
Ever since McNaught I venture out to take a peek whenever there's one whizzing by, but no luck with our green friend yet for me... Maybe we can call it Yoda's comet.

TP

Nothing like the great comets of the '90s, yet cool just to spot it yesterday in binos, tho moon interfered some. A little better in my 300mm dob, but still no visible tail.

Probably both the most spectacular and disappointing things I've ever seen were both comets. Halleys being the disappointment and McNaught being the most spectacular for me in the location I was when they swung by.
Ever since McNaught I venture out to take a peek whenever there's one whizzing by, but no luck with our green friend yet for me... Maybe we can call it Yoda's comet.

TP
When I was a kid Comet Kohoutek made its appearance in fall 1973 to Jan 1974. I watched it approach with my binoculars and I was about to setup a watch party with my HS friends when 'poof' it faded and went dark. The comet of the century as a fiss. As a 14 yr old, I was mightily disappointed as I had hundreds of newspaper and magazine clippings and was so looking forward to a daytime viewing.

Latest posts

Back