Quantcast

Have there been any TRF setting changes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

ONAWHIM

Reaction score
As of yesterday I have found that I no longer automatically login when I go to TRF.

I first thought that this is possibly on the user side but I notice that when logged in and a TRF link opens a new window or tab I am not logged on in that new window.

Logging in this morning I find that posts that I made yesterday have a time stamp of today.

My computer settings have not changed.
My system clock is correct.

Mac OS X 10.6.2, Safari

Wm.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Strange, one of the other mods was just talking about the same problem. I applied a security patch to the forum software yesterday. I'll look into it either today or tomorrow when I get a chance.

Standard troubleshooting things to try anyway - are you ticking the Remember Me? box when logging in? Have you tried clearing out your browser cookies/cache?

EDIT: Definitely something up with the timestamps, this post is showing as 11pm today, when it's only 5pm here!

Anyone else having these problems?

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:

gpoehlein

Reaction score
I had to re-log in Thursday, but the auto login is working for me after that. I have the same problem with time stamp - although it is only 11:06 here it says 5:06 PM at the bottom of the page. So I'd say that the forum software jumped a gear timewise when you did the update.

tbzep

Reaction score
I had to login twice yesterday on my main computer and again today on my laptop. It kept my login after surfing away and coming back a few minutes ago. I always set the forum to remember me.

A week or two ago a thread suddenly started having double posts, separated from each other and with a couple hours between the first and second posting. It disappeared later, but I don't know if a mod fixed it or it reset itself on its own.

ONAWHIM

Reaction score
Re-checking Remember Me took care of the auto logon and multiple tab/window issue. Not sure what happened there.

Timestamp is definitely an issue my OP for this thread reads 3:09PM today, a bit off.

For reference, the time at this post is 12:32pm eastern (GMT-5)

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Hmm, looks like the clock on the server is off by about 6 hours. Fun stuff. :rolleyes:

ONAWHIM

Reaction score
I believe there was a brief time yesterday when I could not reach the server. all other sites were ok.

Was there a re-boot of the server, or a hiccup?

The time of this post is 12:41pm, GMT-5

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
I think there might have been a hiccup at the data centre, troj was saying he couldn't reach this site for a while yesterday as well. Still, could be a lot worse than the clock being slightly off. ;)

Gillard

Reaction score
i could not get the site yesterday and my time stamp is out.

tbzep

Reaction score
I think the warp drive on Santa's sleigh affected the server. He must have flown too close to it.

ONAWHIM

Reaction score
It looks like the brain trust is hot on the trail.

Time for me to eat more of the holiday feast.

Best wishes to all.

Wm.

davel

Reaction score
Both TRF and RP were out for me a bit. Same server?

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Both TRF and RP were out for me a bit. Same server?
Different servers, but the same hosting provider.

I'm bumped the clock back to where it belongs, but I suspect that since it's receiving time from a network server, the time will jump back to being off by six hours.

I'll contact the hosting company.

-Kevin

Bravo52

Reaction score
I've got an interesting thing happening. Might be related to the issue of the time on the server being wacked.....

When I post, it isn't falling at the end of the stream. Sometimes in the middle, sometimes one from the end.....weird.....

troj

Reaction score
vBulletin obviously sorts posts by date/time, not message ID, so my reply ended up in the middle of the thread.

The hosting company had some issues yesterday and it caused things to be a bit...special.

-Kevin

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
My last post to the Secret Santa thread posted a half a page EARLIER than the posts I was reading. Huh?:confused::confused:

troj

Reaction score
My last post to the Secret Santa thread posted a half a page EARLIER than the posts I was reading. Huh?:confused::confused:
Yeah, if you posted a reply to a message that was posted during the clock screwup, your message may appear in the wrong order.

-Kevin

MarkII

Reaction score
Whenever I get ready to leave TRF for the day (usually in the wee hours of the morning) I click the "Log Out" button on the bar at the top of the page. And then when I come back, I log on again, providing my login name and password. Isn't this the normal practice? If I didn't log out at the end of a session, wouldn't the site show me being on it 24/7? (I'm on it long enough as it is. :eek: ) I follow this practice with every forum that I belong to.

MarkII

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW - One recent bug I noticed was that when I would come to the site and press the “New Posts” link, this part of it no longer worked in the result, which usually appears BELOW the new posts but above older unread posts:

“The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.”

I took note that by last night (Saturday) it was working correctly again.

There are so many threads and so many areas of the forum that I rarely manually go looking thru the forums anymore. I use the “New Posts” link, so it is useful to see that is working right again. Well, in general the new posts link was "working" all along, but without the indicator to show where the new ones ended and older ones began so the lack of that was an annoyance.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:

troj

Reaction score
Whenever I get ready to leave TRF for the day (usually in the wee hours of the morning) I click the "Log Out" button on the bar at the top of the page. And then when I come back, I log on again, providing my login name and password. Isn't this the normal practice? If I didn't log out at the end of a session, wouldn't the site show me being on it 24/7? (I'm on it long enough as it is. :eek: ) I follow this practice with every forum that I belong to.
Nope, it wouldn't.

Web servers use a "session" to maintain information about each active user. Each session contains a reference to there was last a connection; every time your browser connects to the server, that timestamp gets updated.

Any session older than a certain number of minutes gets tossed. Part of that process marks you as no longer being online.

If the server maintained the session until you logged out, it would quickly run out of resources, as a session consumes resources to be maintained.

As for not having to log in, that's done via cookies.

-Kevin