Have motor, need rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_Power004

Reaction score
I had a sweet AT Mustang that I painted bright yellow. Took it to NSL in Hearne and bought 2 Ellis Mountain G35-10 motors and a 10-pack of Twiggy igniters. When I launched it, it flew at about a 30-degree angle until I just could not see it anymore, never found it. :( :mad: :kill: It was the first flight too! Anyway, I have a G35-10 motor and Twiggy igniters that I want to use. Any suggestions on what I should put it in?

maybe with the motor...
i think you should send the remaining one to me for testing purposes!
:D

har har har!

Snce oyu don't have an expensive reload casing to lose, I say modify a Fat Boy or Big Daddy for one. maybe even a Big Bertha.

as for the igniters, use em for static tests in your backyard.

Well, as Blue Ninja said there is no risk of losing anything except the rocket. Therefore I might recommend the Apogee Aspire. You'll get some serious altitude on an Ellis G35.

Originally posted by RocketboyG80
Well, as Blue Ninja said there is no risk of losing anything except thr rocket. Therefore I might recommend the Apogee Aspire. You'll get some serious altitude on an Ellis G35.

Oooooh I like that rocket, better prepare myslef to lose another one:rolleyes: :D

Notice that on the Aspire, the motor that sends it to over a mile is the F10-8. Your Ellis G35 will likely make it break 6500, if I had to guess! :) :)

Jason

Mabey use "nose blow" recovery (yuk)
might brake a fin or 2 but atleast you have a chance of re-using the cone,,If you find it

Heck, might as well use "Core Sample" recovery :D :D :D

J/K!

The G80-10 sends it to just over 2900' is there that much difference between the G80 and the G35? I love the idea of sending this thing supersonic!! According to the website, the G80-10 will do that.:D :cool:

The reason that is is because the G80 burns for only 1.5 seconds compared to the G35's 4-ish.

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
The reason that is is because the G80 burns for only 1.5 seconds compared to the G35's 4-ish.

Jason

Now, I'm just trying to get my facts straight here, but don't you trade thrust for longer burn, like the G80 has short burn but very high thrust and the G35 has lower thrust but much longer burn? I could very well be totally wrong.:eek:

Originally posted by Max_Power004
Now, I'm just trying to get my facts straight here, but don't you trade thrust for longer burn, like the G80 has short burn but very high thrust and the G35 has lower thrust but much longer burn? I could very well be totally wrong.:eek:

Took me a while to figure this one out, myself. Though, I still may not have it quite right, so someone more learned should feel free to correct me.

As I understand it, all engines with the same letter will deliver (about) the same amount of total thrust over the course of the burn. The higher the number after the letter, the higher the average thrust is.

Imagine two identical cars, each with a gallon of gas in the tank. Mario Andretti floors it in Car A; grandpa tools along at 20mph (with the turn-signal on) in Car B. Car A goes a lot faster, but uses up that gallon of gas a lot quicker.

The G80 delivers all of its thrust in only about 1/3 of the burn time of a G35; thus, it's going to give a bigger kick (and that's what makes it capable of getting a rocket to supersonic velocity).

In addition, the letters represent a RANGE of total impulse. One G engine could have up to twice the total impulse of another G engine. You really need to see the thrust curves to know for sure.

im not familar with the aspire. but with a very light rocket you can get way higher with a slow burn. if you have a light rocket and a fast burn you will go no whare because you will have no mass for the coast fase. do some more simulations with RockSim. you can actually get your rocket higher by adding weight in some situations. and you will never know if you rocket gose supersonic or not because it is to small to create sonic boom. I would use up those EM motors!

Good G80T-G35E explination ClusterWiz. G80T= speed and a lot of coast, but that rocket doesn't have the weight to coast as far as a G35E or F10T will take it during their burns. This is because those motors use their burn for altitude rather than speed. That's why you don't really need an excessively long delay on the G35...a 10 is plenty for an altitute bird. This is because it's a long burn motor, and it doesn't have the power to let it coast for too long after the burn- it already has most of it's altitude from during the burn. With a G80T, though, you would need the longest delay possible (which happens to be a 10) because the rocket gains altitude from a G80T during the coast phase...it feeds off of the power provided in 1.5 secs of burn. And as I said before, you get the bulk of the altitude during the long burn of the G35. You still have a bit of coast with these, but the motor doesn't have the thrust behind it to make it coast near as long as a G80 (over two times the average thrust) would. The G80 is actually reverse of this... a bit of altitude during the burn, and a lot during the coast. Yeah, yeah...I know...I use too many ...'s and I end up writing so much because I repeat myself.

Anyways...a rocket to fly the motor in. As someone mentioned before, a mod'ed Estes Big Bertha works great. I flew mine on a G60-12, and then lost it on an Ellis G35-10. AWESOME high, neck popping flights. And it hit the top and traveled down a bit before ejecting, btw. So your delay is fine.

Whew.

Back