Has anyone used the new Estes Star Tech Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When clustering, it seems to me it would be unsafe to use inconsistent igniters/starters, what ever name you want to use.
If engines lit on only one side of 7 engine cluster, it could loop into a crowd. Correct?
Whoever the idiots are that took reliability out of the igniters and changed the name needs to hung up by the bowling balls by starters.

When clustering, it seems to me it would be unsafe to use inconsistent igniters/starters, what ever name you want to use.
If engines lit on only one side of 7 engine cluster, it could loop into a crowd. Correct?
Whoever the idiots are that took reliability out of the igniters and changed the name needs to hung up by the bowling balls by starters.
I fly 7 motor clusters regularly. If 1, 2, 3 motors don’t light, still flies straight. Of course, with Q2G2s, it was rare for even 1 motor not to light. I haven’t given up on clusters with StarTech, but more testing is required.

This may be a stupid question, but does it take actual burning material (tip of the igniter) or will a high voltage arc (sparkplug) work?
It doesn't take a burning material, just heat, at least for BP motors. Someone has asked about sparkplugs before, but I don't remember if anyone had actually tried it. Certainly it would be far more difficult to arrange such a setup vs. our usual 12V systems.

That would be great... but the F26 and F50 being sold now are specifically rebadged Aerotech motors. If Estes comes out with it's own composites (which would be a mighty interesting development) then I would expect the motors to be at least slightly different (that is, not exactly F26 and F50).

These are leftover stock.

At NARAM-60 BMS was acting as a agent for Estes and was selling F26 motors for $10/each and E30 motors for $7/each.

AeroTech has not made any motors for Estes to relabel since the original production run years ago.

I spotted Startech starters "in the wild" for the first time yesterday- in packs of C6-5s in the new Hobby Lobby dedicated packages (which have images of the HL price stickers right on the insert card). Interestingly enough there were B6-4s and A10-3Ts in the new packaging but with old starters in them, even though the A10s were made a month more recently, per the date codes on the motors.

It doesn't take a burning material, just heat, at least for BP motors. Someone has asked about sparkplugs before, but I don't remember if anyone had actually tried it. Certainly it would be far more difficult to arrange such a setup vs. our usual 12V systems.

I was thinking along the lines of something that will insert into any size black powder engine that can be reused over and over. A heavier gauge wire that will arc, separated by some non-conductive, heat resistant material.
It's just a thought, but if something that would be available for at least 100 uses or more should have a market over the common type igniters. (I refuse to call them starters) I know I would be interested.
Perhaps someone like Mr. Beans from Jolly Logic could look into it.
I don't have the resources or knowledge, and anything I would make up I wouldn't have the funding to bring to market.
It would be great for myself but it would be awesome to be available to everyone.

I did a two motor cluster using Startechs at our club launch - worked fine, though the bitsa rocket was sacrificed to the Evil Corn, it did launch and fly perfectly. It’s only a single data point and with the juice the club’s system puts out maybe not all that relevant. But they did work.

I was thinking along the lines of something that will insert into any size black powder engine that can be reused over and over.
I have been known to get two launches out of a Solar igniter. That required a launch controller with limited output current.

The problem is that you are inserting a metal object into a very tough environment. Not only the heat but the corrosive combustion products. Nothing will last very long in that.

I have been known to get two launches out of a Solar igniter. That required a launch controller with limited output current.

The problem is that you are inserting a metal object into a very tough environment. Not only the heat but the corrosive combustion products. Nothing will last very long in that.

That's true. Well, it was a thought. Good idea, but not feasible I guess.

Back