Has anyone used SpaceCAD??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsNorth

Reaction score
I've been testing evaluation versions of SpaceCAD and RocketSIM. Both programs have pluses and minuses and I find the discussions on RocketSIM very valuable. About a year ago I got back into Model Rockets, with my son, after a long absence (30 years) and we're having a great time. However as a relative noobie to Rocket Design the cost of SpaceCAD is extremely attractive, I'm just concerned that we will "outgrow" this application and end up having to reinvest in RocketSIM anyway.
I'd like to hear advice from anyone who has had or is having this experience.

Thanks

I've had Rocksim for a while now, and I love it. I got it when Rocksim v8 came out. It's really easy to use and it's really accurate. There's so many different things you can do with Rocksim that you can't do with SpaceCAD, and now with v9, there's even more. The simulations are also very accurate when done right.

You get what you pay for... In this case, RockSim should be $500. Its great, you wont regret getting it. Ive tried SpaceCad trial (after I had Rocksim) and I have to say I was completely satisfied with my purchase. SpaceCad has some simplicity to it which is nice, but once you get used to RockSim, theres no going back

i'm a spacecad user and i really like it, its very simple to use, and i especially like the fin template tool where you can put the fin on the computer screen and move the points around to get the exact fin for the program.
rocksim does do more and has alot more functions, but it cost more.

I myself have rocksim 7 Have not found a reasion to go for the newer ones yet. and love it though I do own have vcp and spacecad but rocksim is my love though it can be tricky at times for me I still love it.

Folks thanks very much for your replies, I would have to agree that you definitely get what you pay for.
There were a couple things I did notice about SpaceCAD that I found lacking in RocketSim, in particular as Gillard points out the fin design seems to be more powerful and interactive.
As I said I downloaded both eval versions and created a design using SpaceCAD. A cool little 2 stage "C" motor design that my boy and I will start working on after school lets out. It took me about 3 hours to put the basics together and get it to a launchable state. When I tried to recreate the design in RocketSim it took me 2 nights and I was using the SpaceCAD design as a template. Much of that time was spent playing with the fins.
At this point, I think we're still probably too new to get deep into our own designs, so we'll play with our test#1 over the summer and then look at RocketSim in the fall.
Again thanks for everyone's input.

You get what you pay for... In this case, RockSim should be $500. Its great, you wont regret getting it. Ive tried SpaceCad trial (after I had Rocksim) and I have to say I was completely satisfied with my purchase. SpaceCad has some simplicity to it which is nice, but once you get used to RockSim, theres no going back

uhhh not. Its $100 and I am not sure i would pay more tha $150 for it.

Ben

Rocksim is waaaaaaaaaay better than spacecad, but they are both $$$$ (well, they are cheap as for features, but not everyone can afford them)

So I'm stuck with vcp

I use both. I like both for different reasons. However until Rocsim-9, it really wasn't worth the price.
Spacecad has some very nice features and limitations but it worth the money being ask of it.

As someone already mentioned there are also several freeware programs that are extreamly helpful before you start throwing around $$$.

Latest posts

Back