Has anyone tried this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the past, whenever I see a plan that calls for an embossed metallic wrap, that usually is a dealbreaker in my attempts to clone that rocket. But tonight on eBay I saw a listing for a vintage MRC Iron Man kit, and that got my wheels turning. (Plans are here):

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrc/mrcLS-100/mrcLS-100.htm

I was thinking what if you scored lines on gold or silver monokote tape? Would that simulate an embossed wrap? So I ran lines with the back of my hobby knife on some gold monokote tape and applied it to some scrap tubing. Results were so-so:
IMG_20181109_195440.jpg
I removed the wrap and was about to throw it away when I noticed that the back (sticky side) had the look I was going for:

IMG_20181109_195309.jpg
So all I would have to do is remove the adhesive with a solvent and spray on some adhesive on the other side and reapply. My question is, am I reinventing the wheel? Has anyone done this before, or do you have alternative solutions? This would also be great for the Estes Space Transporter America. Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

In the past, whenever I see a plan that calls for an embossed metallic wrap, that usually is a dealbreaker in my attempts to clone that rocket. But tonight on eBay I saw a listing for a vintage MRC Iron Man kit, and that got my wheels turning. (Plans are here):

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrc/mrcLS-100/mrcLS-100.htm

I was thinking what if you scored lines on gold or silver monokote tape? Would that simulate an embossed wrap? So I ran lines with the back of my hobby knife on some gold monokote tape and applied it to some scrap tubing. Results were so-so:
View attachment 366404
I removed the wrap and was about to throw it away when I noticed that the back (sticky side) had the look I was going for:

View attachment 366405
So all I would have to do is remove the adhesive with a solvent and spray on some adhesive on the other side and reapply. My question is, am I reinventing the wheel? Has anyone done this before, or do you have alternative solutions? This would also be great for the Estes Space Transporter America. Your inputs are greatly appreciated.
I'm not familiar with using monocote, but couldn't you score the adhesive side before you remove the backing and then apply sticky side down?

I'm not familiar with using monocote, but couldn't you score the adhesive side before you remove the backing and then apply sticky side down?
The problem is, scoring the backing doesn't score the tape enough. And if you score deeper you cut the backing. Then you'd have umpteen strips of backing paper to remove. (I just tried it).

Thought? How about making the section longer than you need. Then score the backing, leaving a section at the top un-scored. After scoring grab the un-scored section and it will remove all the thin scored pieces of backing?
Monokote Wrap.jpg

Thought? How about making the section longer than you need. Then score the backing, leaving a section at the top un-scored. After scoring grab the un-scored section and it will remove all the thin scored pieces of backing?
View attachment 366431
Give the man a cigar! That's some smart thinking. But I still would have the problem of scoring it enough to emboss it without cutting through the tape. We'll see.

Give the man a cigar! That's some smart thinking. But I still would have the problem of scoring it enough to emboss it without cutting through the tape. We'll see.

Not really sure from the photo, or the scanned of the embossed paper in the plans, what it is supposed to look like -- but it you want ridges that stand proud of the paper surface; there are embossing tools for paper -- wheels and ball ended styli.

Check Dick Blick's or Utrecht or whatever art-supply store is nearest to you... (or google)

Not really sure from the photo, or the scanned of the embossed paper in the plans, what it is supposed to look like -- but it you want ridges that stand proud of the paper surface; there are embossing tools for paper -- wheels and ball ended styli.

Check Dick Blick's or Utrecht or whatever art-supply store is nearest to you... (or google)

Yeah, I've read the threads where people have embossed paper to simulate the corrugated wraps for the Sat. V and 1B. But then the embossing plate would have to be the exact width of what you're looking for. And painted paper doesn't have the same look as metal foil.

Back