Has Anyone Successfully Downloaded AeroCFD or AeroFinSim Recently (2015-2016)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRoll

Reaction score
I understand that you can still get AeroCFD and AeroFinSim by emailing John Cipolla, requesting which programs you would like to purchase or download, and state that you will not pirate the software. I've tried this a few times over the past couple months but have not gotten a response. Is there something I'm forgetting to do?

I'm working on a project about shock formation on a supersonic model rocket, and I've heard from everywhere I read that these programs are second to none. The problem is... I don't know how to get them! Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://www.aerorocket.com/products/products.html

Yes.

At one time, AeroFinSim was freely downloadable on the site but now its not.

(edit)

Regarding AeroCFD, I emailed him months ago and got nothing.

Last edited:
Hey RocketRoll, John Cipolla here. I have provided dozens of downloads for AeroFinSim, HyperCFD, AeroCFD and my other programs in the past few months to individuals and U.S. based companies. My free software is intended for model and high power rocketeers who simply use the "Request for free FinSim download" email link on the Software List download page. If you provide valid information and are from the United States the chances of getting my free software download form is nearly 100%. Finally, AeroFinSim as indicated by Cabernut is not available for download anywhere in the world but on the AeroRocket.com web site otherwise the download is a pirated version. If you have any questions please let me know here or by email.

Thank you,
John Cipolla/AeroRocket

Last edited:
I suppose you are the person to ask!

I've sent a few emails, the most recent one last week, where I thought I captured the information you need to determine whether to provide the download or not. I've sent you a private message here with the text of the email and more information, in case my email did not go through, and in case I missed providing something you need.

Thank you

Rocketroll, I could not download your private message, something about the message being blocked by a popup blocker. Please send me an email to [email protected] and include the information required. Please remember not to mix requests for AeroCFD with the free downloads because those requests are automatically ignored by my assistant (my wife).

John

Rocketroll, I just emailed you the free download link for AeroFinSim and the other programs in the free download list. However, my email records do not include any previous requests for AeroFinSim. However, I did receive an email request for AeroCFD or VisualCFD on October 29, 2016. Not to say you never sent the request for AeroFinSim but I have been overwhelmed by requests lately. In that email request for AeroCFD you did not include your address and your description of use did not help. Just give me a little more information and I will probably give you a free download for either AeroCFD or VisualCFD. Also, thank you for being polite.

Thank you,
John

Cabernut, you referenced a WayBackMachine link for an AeroFinSim download in the section called (edit) in your posting. I do not approve of anyone who uses this link and I cannot guarantee its validity or exposure to viruses. I consider this a pirated software link and can only say good luck because this download will not be supported. But, I might as well post this link because there is nothing I can do about it but say, this was a mistake that will not be repeated.

FinSim
(3.3 MB) a free download (This link is not authorized to distribute AeroFinSim)

John Cipolla

Last edited:
Yup, I removed the link after you stated that any source other than the website is not OK. It's a gray area since an archived older version of a website is technically an external source.

Yup, I removed the link after you stated that any source other than the website is not OK. It's a gray area since an archived older version of a website is technically an external source.

Cabernut, you stated in your deleted message, "The WayBackMachine is your friend" and then provided a link for the pirated version of my AeroFinSim software. Its not a gray area, you provided a link to a pirate source for my program. I put the link back up to bring attention to the issue that the only legal source for AeroFiinSim is the AeroRocket web site and notified everyone that using this link violates my copyright. You are probably using the pirate version which means you are violating my software license for the program and need to delete AeroFinSim from your system immediately. Therefore, you will not be allowed to request any of my free software in the future.

John Cipolla/AeroRocket

Last edited:
John, first my apologies. It was not my intention to pirate anything. I use the Wayback Machine for finding things like old kit plans or fin patterns that once existed on sites that aren't around any longer. I view it as more of a method for finding lost things. That is all. As requested, I will delete it from my system. That's fine. I understand and respect that.

After your response in post #3, I realized that using the Internet Archive of your website may not be OK with you and therefore deleted the link from my post. If you feel the the Internet Archive has pirated anything, please contact them. To show you that I'm not a bad guy, I've looked up the process for requesting your site to be excluded and I'll send you a PM with the info.

Cabernut, thank you for the information. I sent the WayBackMachine a request to remove AeroFinSim from their archive. Lets see what happens to my request.
John Cipolla

Cabernut, thank you for the information. I sent the WayBackMachine a request to remove AeroFinSim from their archive. Lets see what happens to my request.
John Cipolla

UPDATE: AeroFinSim is no longer archived on the WayBackMachine.

John Cipolla/AeroRocket

This link to FinSim has been removed. Thank you for downloading FinSim.

Thank you.
John Cipolla
John, I had a look at your site and sure understand your feelings. Funny, I was just working with another engineer who was doing a natural frequency analysis on some hydrogenerator fan blades and told him to have a look at your site to understand something about flutter, vs. structural modes of vibration. Very impressive stuff you have going on there. I've only done introductory-level CFD in my career, and aeroelasticity is a bit beyond that!

Best to you.

I need a good simulation to research on how the fin cant angle affects the maximum height reached by the rocket. Do you know any simulations where i can do this?

Latest posts

Back