Has anyone launched a new iPod nano with video?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveCombs

Carnivore, Interrupted
Reaction score
Just curious. I don't have one yet but I may "treat" myself to one this year. A big-enough payload compartment would be easy enough to come across.

Might just add this to the project queue...

Just curious. I don't have one yet but I may "treat" myself to one this year. A big-enough payload compartment would be easy enough to come across.

For much less than the price of the Nano you can get a smaller video camera that records decent video. Check out the "Gum cam" thread over at YORK.

Another alternative, that records better video, is Boostervision's GearCam DVR.

Both are less expensive (and less expensive to replace!) than a Nano and probably will work better in a rocket.

Having said that, I've flown (and destroyed) cameras that cost much more than a Nano. :)

-- Roger

Might just add this to the project queue...

Hi Dave
Check out this thread from earlier in the year. I have one, but have not had the oppertunity to launch with it yet. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than a nano.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=6119

Dean

Nanos are expensive, fragile and somewhat tricky to use (i find the circle menu button thingy annoying lol). It might be difficult activating the video feature in the rocket.

You should look at the videos in the thread that RocketsNorth's posted a link to. For $15-$25 you can get a cheap HD video camera that will record an hour of video on a microSD card. That's about the price of the motor you'd use to launch it. Even if the rocket crashes, the camera will probably still work (I've seen these units survive chuteless recoveries), and if not, the microSD card will.

The IPOD Nano is a nice unit, but the LCD screen and the controls are weak links. I'd use the $150 Nano for launch video, and to display videos taken by the $20 camera. Much less risky.

Bob

They make keyless entry styled spy cams now, & that have been used for rocketry. Just duct tape it to the side of your rocket & you're good to go.

JD

Back