Has anyone ever tried to find their rocket with a Bluetooth tracking device

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...0.7724857.normal_offer.d_image.45b5484e5gWASZIt was something similar to this one, and about $20 - $30 a piece. They make them in all shapes and sizes, also the bare electronics that you can mount on an internal board, or just take one apart if you wish. Comes with a lipo battery which you charge via a USB cable.
My biggest challenge was "programming" it by sending SMS codes to keep it from going in to sleep mode after two minutes of inactivity (no movement, like standing on the pad waiting to launch).

Thanks! ...Ah! they all require to buy in bulk!

Often 3 minimum, if that's what you consider bulk. Alibaba is often buying directly from a manufacturer.
Try AliExpress or Deal Extreme, or any other of a number of commercial sites that front the big Chinese sellers. There you can buy single units, but at a higher price, and are often stocked in a warehouse in the west, meaning shorter shipping times. Just not as much selection.
Good luck

Is there a link to the One you have? It sounds like a good deal to have a gps for 5 bucks more than an airtag.

I do not have a link, but I believe it's called Gps tracker TK102B. I don't think you have to take the same one, but something like this model would be good I believe.

Regarding the tiles- at one of our local launch sites on city owned land there can be 5' tall weeds in the recovery area. I once walked by my rocket twice when I was walking back and forth. When I found the rocket on the third pass I realized that I was within a few feet of it the first few passes and didn't see it. With a tile I could have activated it on my phone and heard it. Of course a normal siren tracker would have worked just as well but I'm afraid to use those due to the possibility of it being obnoxious.

I just used an AirTag this weekend. I already had one in my wallet and some bubble wrap in my range bag, so I put it in the nose cone.

It works great, if you can get within 50 ft. Phone points the way, and you can even make the AirTag make a noise. It's probably useless beyond that though.

I just used an AirTag this weekend. I already had one in my wallet and some bubble wrap in my range bag, so I put it in the nose cone.

It works great, if you can get within 50 ft. Phone points the way, and you can even make the AirTag make a noise. It's probably useless beyond that though.
That is all that is needed for a rocket in the tall corn or other crop, tall weeds, etc.

Back