has anyone cloned an Estes mirv here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirNomad

Reaction score
I always thought that Estes Mirv was a cool design, but unfortunately it seems to be out of production. I'd be interested in ideas on how to clone this bird. Anyone have any?

I just checked eRockets and they have 3 in stock. And they are discounted 50% to $14.99

I have one and it is a cool Rocket. Relatively expensive to shoot and takes special paint to not melt the foam

With the plastic funneling it would need some high end 3 D printing to clone. Just build a stacked stager from a number of plans out there. Yes, the whole idea of the kit is to burn lots of motors. Motors are where the money is at! I melted the foam a bit with Krylon for the heck of it and it still turned out cool with a rough surface.

Here is another MIRV-type option, the Seattle Rocket Works MIRV Gryphon.
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/srw/srwMG/srwMG.htm

I made a variation of this where the booster is a single 18mm engine that gap-stages/vents up to the 4 13mm sustainers. (I guess it could fly with only 2 sustainers as well.) I have not finished painting yet, and not flown it yet. I extended the booster body tube with a boat-tail and added some length to the chord of the booster fins, from the original design. I also borrowed from the Estes MIRV design the central dowel that holds the sustainers together on individual lugs.

IMG_0535.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg

I'm mentally adding this to my build pile. 😜

Here is another MIRV-type option, the Seattle Rocket Works MIRV Gryphon.
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/srw/srwMG/srwMG.htm

I made a variation of this where the booster is a single 18mm engine that gap-stages/vents up to the 4 13mm sustainers. (I guess it could fly with only 2 sustainers as well.) I have not finished painting yet, and not flown it yet. I extended the booster body tube with a boat-tail and added some length to the chord of the booster fins, from the original design. I also borrowed from the Estes MIRV design the central dowel that holds the sustainers together on individual lugs.

View attachment 326870
View attachment 326871
View attachment 326872

Love it. Hope you do well with a C booster, I found the Estes MIRV extremely underpowered. An 18 mm D Might work.

done

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...aunch-and-Staging-Cerberus-III&highlight=mirv

also built and flew the real MIRV. YMMV, but for me worst rocket ever.

Extraordinarily underpowered booster.

I currently have a MIRV in my fleet. I'll second the power issue. If you buy one, don't use a B6-0 for the booster like the package says as an option. Go with the second option of a C6-0. Even that is a bit iffy. Not to be flown in anything but calm winds.

Oh, and don't paint as per the picture. Paint the darts something bright like silver or white. They're super hard to find in grass.

Love it. Hope you do well with a C booster, I found the Estes MIRV extremely underpowered. An 18 mm D Might work.

Good point. I think I built this one lighter weight than the stock plans from SRW, and four A-engines in their booster should roughly be equivalent to the impulse of 2 B's or 1 C in this version. The cardstock tubes are probably lighter than the plastic/foam Estes MIRV, and within the 4 oz weight limit of a C6-0 when fully loaded for launch. I just have a base primer coat on there now, and may end up sanding most of that off before final color coat painting.

Back