Has anyone built the new North Coast Rocket Lance Delta??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewsaccounting

Reaction score
I have only built a few "mid" power rockets. This kit looked interesting to I thought I would take shot at it. But I hit an oddity that is either instruction error, picture error, or operator error that can't be explained. Since I don't think I can post the instructions, I will try to describe the issue. The rocket has a motor mount that has a metal shock cord that loops inside it. All is good there. You connect the elastic and kevlar cords to the other loop in the metal cord and string that along to reach the nose cose where you are supposed to attached it to the nose cone loop. All would be fine except the instruction specifically has a bulkhead glued into a coupler that connects the top and bottom sections of the rocket together. How is this possible? The instructions call it a payload section. Is the nose cone supposed to be glued in and the shock cords attached to the screw eye that supposed to be screwed into the bulkhead. There is solid wood between the bottom of the rocket and the nose cone that is supposed to be connected. Chute is supposed to connect to the nose cone.
Hope that isn't too long winded. I tried to get help from Apogee but heard nothing about it and North Coast website didn't seem to have a "contact me" section.

Andrew

If I understand you correctly, then I'd connect the shock cord to the bulkhead. The chute would go on the shock cord under the bulkhead. The nose cone, I'd tape and friction fit to the top of the payload section. It's a fairly common setup, with the benefit of less volume for the ejection charge to fill

Diz pretty much said what i was going to... my last scratch build and my current MPR scratch build are set up like this minus i have the nose cone tethered to the bulk head as well as friction fitted... tethering is only there to ensure that i don't loose my nosecones... it is also possible and i have seen some rockets set up like this at apogee that the shock cord runs up through a hole in the bulkhead and then hooks up to the nose cone...

The kevlar and the elastic are tied to the metal screw eye, not to the nose cone loop. The parachute also gets attached to the screw eye (or near it on the kevlar line). Nothing gets tied to the nose cone.

I will go back and check what the instructions say to make sure there is no confusion. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sorry the website contact info is not clear - a new version is in the works, but it is a lower priority than getting a few new things out before the holidays.

Matt Steele
North Coast Rocketry

Did you really just say sales are more important then customer service?

Did you really just say sales are more important then customer service?

I don't think that is what he is saying at all... with retail they are about to get a very large you know what stuck in a not so pleasant place... orders are going to be coming in left and right... so for them to be preparing for the holiday season with sales is understanding... and at least he came in here and responded to the thread about his product and how it is supposed to work... and not to mention it was fairly quick as well... kudos to them...

I appreciate the clarrification. There is no CG measurement, I am assuming that its stable with either an F engine or G engine as recommended on the instructions??
Andrew

Back