Has any one attempted a clustered 2 stage Titan II?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
I recently got a 1:55 scale Gemini capsule from JonRockets. I just started noodling around ideas based on Rockets of the World and some other data, and had the idea of a clustered first stage (18 mm) to a pop out fin second stage (likely 13 mm). I haven't even dropped it in RockSim yet. I didn't see any threads on the forum in inital searches. Does anyone know if this has been attempted? Thanks

I sure don't know, but I like the idea. Then move on to the ultimate: A 5-5-1 3-stage Saturn V! I think someone down in Alabama was able to pull it off, but can't find the site any more.

I'm still just getting my feet wet in low power (again), a slowly advancing BAR, but I like to dream. And I like that dream. I hope you can pull it off.

Flip-out fins I get. Radio controlled staging? i.e. when you see the fire quit on Stage 1, you hit a button to fire stage 2? Wow! I thought electronic staging was all done with on-board controls, i.e. once it launches everything happens aitomatically with no further input from "mission control". Nice looking rocket, though. I like authentic.

Flip-out fins I get. Radio controlled staging? i.e. when you see the fire quit on Stage 1, you hit a button to fire stage 2? Wow! I thought electronic staging was all done with on-board controls, i.e. once it launches everything happens aitomatically with no further input from "mission control". Nice looking rocket, though. I like authentic.

It can be done with RC or with onboard control. Onboard control is actually more common, I believe. I was surprised to see RC staging.

Wow. That seems to add an interesting (and a but scary) level of uncertainty, but it would be a cool thing to do. Thanks!

It's not that bad. We back up the stage 2 deployment with a deployment altimeter (apogee only, though DD would work fine, of course). Basically, it allows a human-in-the-loop failsafe. If the trajectory is off-nominal, I have the option of not igniting the stage 2 motor and just allowing the deployment electronics to do their job. As far as uncertainty goes, every rocket I've done this to has some good margin on when the staging happens. I never felt rushed or flustered, per se, when using this system.

Back