Harry's White Whale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
Hey out there.Been thinking about building a version of Harry's Honest Ivan some time in the near future, but since none of the original specs were documented I've been trying find as much information on it as possible as to replicating the design as close as I can.So can anyone tell me where I might be able to find to parts for this monster?

Hey out there.Been thinking about building a version of Harry's Honest Ivan some time in the near future, but since none of the original specs were documented I've been trying find as much information on it as possible as to replicating the design as close as I can.So can anyone tell me where I might be able to find to parts for this monster?
Apparently information doesn't exist because it was built in 1958 and last flown in 1959.
What I would do is find the best photo I can then enlarge it and take measurements off of the photo. You might not get an exact recreation but if you create something that looks like the photograph then that should be close enough. I've actually done this kind of thing in autocad for some clone projects.

Apparently information doesn't exist because it was built in 1958 and last flown in 1959.
What I would do is find the best photo I can then enlarge it and take measurements off of the photo. You might not get an exact recreation but if you create something that looks like the photograph then that should be close enough. I've actually done this kind of thing in autocad for some clone projects.

The only photo I've seen of it was the one in the Handbook, if I can guesstimate I would say it was around 36 to 40 in. long.Getting the right size and shape for the fins would be the tricky part.I could probably get the nose custom made.

The only photo I've seen of it was the one in the Handbook, if I can guesstimate I would say it was around 36 to 40 in. long.Getting the right size and shape for the fins would be the tricky part.I could probably get the nose custom made.
There are a couple of photos in Model Rocketry magazine that would help. I could get the proportions established pretty well using those photos in autocad.
The best photo from "Handbook..." isn't very clear about what is happening at the back end of the rocket. That photo appears that the main airframe stops short of the end of the rocket and the motor mount tubes continue, with the fins attached to the motor mount tubes.

Back