Hardening balsa, ply, and tubes.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinoAP

Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to share. I know we use CA to harden softer materials but I have something else for you to try. I use a product called "Wood Hardener" from Minwax to harden BT ends and to strengthen ply and balsa. Works great, drys super fast, and you don't need to use sanding sealer on your fins any more.

I use it on spiral wound tubes in fireworks making and it gives those tubes about 90% the strength of convolute wound tubes.

JB Weld WH is about $2 cheaper / pint.

I used several coats on my ultralight Dig Baddy after removing the glassine layer.

Thin CA is still the way to go for Balsa edges.

JB Weld WH is about $2 cheaper / pint.

I used several coats on my ultralight Dig Baddy after removing the glassine layer.

Thin CA is still the way to go for Balsa edges.

That's a new one on me. I'll have to figure out if its cheaper to ship vs picking up minwax at home depot.

That's a new one on me. I'll have to figure out if its cheaper to ship vs picking up minwax at home depot.

I suspect that these are the same stuff. I'll try the JB when I run out of the Minwax. It does work really well

Back