Harbor Freight Primer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used it, it worked as expected. A good value for the price. I don't have any on my shelf right now but that's because lately I've been using other fillers and then sandable primer. If/when I want another can of filler/primer I'll go back to HF to get it.

I have a ton of painting coming up when the weather is warmer and drier. Now that I know about it I'll give it a try. Thanks!

If you live in the land of Menards, the Rusto filler primer is the same price as the Harbor Freight and you get one more ounce. But, usually you can find a coupon for HF...

Anything you buy at Harbor Freight is a rip off of a reputable brand. I'll stick with the name brand that's worked.

I just finished off a can of that stuff on my ESAM-58. I actually liked it better than the rusto sandable primer and filler because it seems less gummy when sanding, but ya the can didn't last very long.

Attachments

• 20240128_082445.jpg
    20240128_082445.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I just finished off a can of that stuff on my ESAM-58. I actually liked it better than the rusto sandable primer and filler because it seems less gummy when sanding, but ya the can didn't last very long.
I was watching a Youtube video online reviewing the sandable primer and the user said it sands better than Rusto Sandable primer. I do not use use filler primers, don't like sanding.

Rustoleum 249279 is the sandable filler primer usually sold in auto part stores. I think you can sometimes find it at Walmart too.

That is what I have usually been using - it costs 12 or 13 bucks a can. It comes in a couple different cans.

Rust-oleum primer type 4, 5 grey (same thing) a front.jpg

Rust-oleum primer type 4, 5 grey (same thing) b back.jpg

I got the one above on the left last night at our Walmart for $7.47...this is the one I was referring to that seemed gummy when sanding... although I may have put it in too thick. :p

Attachments

• 20240128_104032.jpg
    20240128_104032.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Fair question, it has been a while since I used it but if I remember correctly I did wait a day and then waited several more days when it was gumming up all my sandpaper and it did get a little better but was still gumming up. Like I said though it could have been due to me putting it on too heavy.

If dry sanding that primer, talc will help keep the paper from loading up quickly. If you're not sanding with a block, an occasional slap of the paper against a hard edge cleans it out pretty well.

I've given up on Rust-Oleum primers, I've had several cans that just wouldn't cure at all. As in it still felt tacky to the touch after four weeks, at which point I gave up waiting for it to cure. Happily, it wiped off easily with mineral spirits.

Tried again months later with a different can on a different rocket, same result.

I think the "2 in 1" is something different than what I posted as the automotive shop type. I only saw it at one Walmart and may have been cheaper than $12/can.

Rust-o-leum makes a bunch of different primer spray cans. The pics I posted are from another post, but those are the ones I have used. No problem when I use the Rusto Painters Touch 2x paint from Home Depot over that primer. Never dug into it to check compatibility or whatever - tried them in combo and they work fine.

Rusto Painters Touch 2x paint from Home Depot isn't that expensive its the primer that drains the wallet.

I would suspect that the Harbor Freight primer is really the same thing as the Rusto stuff they compare it to. That or very similar. I can't believe that Harbor Freight makes their own primer. Its got to be OEM/relabeled from another manufacturer.

Last edited:
I got the one above on the left last night at our Walmart for $7.47...this is the one I was referring to that seemed gummy when sanding... although I may have put it in too thick. :p
You're accurate. It's gummy when sanding off the top layer regardless of how lightly it is applied. Also tends to shrink and crack on some surfaces. I stopped using it on any types of plastics or fiberglass years ago. I switched to SEM high build a couple of years back. It's more expensive but the cans are larger (16oz) and the dry time is very quick so I can prime and paint in the same day a lot of times.

If you catch it on sale at the automotive paint distributors you can get it for under $17 per can and most places have free shipping over $100. I normally buy a full case of six cans.

I don't use filler primers, but I do use sandable primers. I gave up on Rusto and Duplicolor primers years ago. I really like the Bondo primer but they just stopped making it. I will try Upol and HF and see how I like it.

Back