Happy to join the community!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroAbaqus

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, I think is more than 5 years since I do not write on a forum, probably even more and I am so happy to finally have returned to this much effective way of communication (rather than social media ).

I am writing and launching from Scotland UK, however, I am an adopted Scotsman since I am from Italy. I came to Scotland nearly 7 years ago and was love for the places and the people. I am a mechanical and aerospace engineer and I am currently working at the University of Glasgow as a researcher and recently I decided to re-ignite my passion for rocketry and I started to build a Klima kit, the Solar Flare a 1500 mm long and 5 cm wide rocket. It is my first cluster, 4 D9 engines. I used such a "big" LPR to get practice with handling large models. This allowed me to learn more building techniques and practising with electronics. I build and tested in flight an Arduino based altimeter and now I am preparing for the next leap, with an accelerometer, a GPS and a radio for transmitting my position and telemetry in the case I go too far during descent.

I am also designing my first HPR scratch build, and I have to thank all the community since this forum is full of ideas, lessons learned and inspiring people. Thank you very much for accepting me in the community and sorry if it took me so long to make this first post.

Attachments

• IMG_7215.jpg
    IMG_7215.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7222.jpg
    IMG_7222.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7221.jpg
    IMG_7221.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7220.jpg
    IMG_7220.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7219.jpg
    IMG_7219.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7217.jpg
    IMG_7217.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7216.jpg
    IMG_7216.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 12
Welcome AstroAbacus! I see the UK are looking at setting up some major launch sites and Scotland is on the list for that as well. Could be exciting times ahead.

Scotland was also home to my ancestors :).

Yes, in Scotland now there are 2 companies looking for putting into orbit their orbital small launcher, so also work wise it has been quite refreshing :) it was so bad that Black Arrow after flying well in Womera was cancelled.

Welcome to the forum. Both sets of my grandparents are from Scotland. One set from Glasgow and Greenoch. I lived in England for 4 years and got up to Scotland twice.

Back