Happy tale of an RRC2 (original)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
Like most clubs, we have a lost and found bucket. Most of the time there are a few items that are in there, and since we mostly fly in high desert, the 'found' stuff is usually in rather bad shape.

Earlier this year I found a dead rocket under a sage brush about 1/2 mile from our range head (and that doesn't mean the portapots). I dropped the remains in the 'found' bucket and thought no more of it until the second to last launch of the year. During that launch it rained.. and rained and rained and.... the bucket got a little water in it and the remains of the rocket dissolved and spewed out an old RRC2. Wet electronics? with battery still attached? We agreed to throw it away.

I was looking at the upcoming Missile Works sale and remembered it. I went to the RV and it was still sat there on the table, now dry.

Hmm methinks.... Hmmmmm

Lets try a new battery in this..

Now.. check out the photos. The battery that was attached to this altimeter is marked Use By 2008, so I am guessing that the rocket has been out there in the desert at least that long (we wouldnt use an out of date battery in our altimeter would we?)

That right there is a quality altimeter!!

[video=youtube;M-cJXo-135M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cJXo-135M[/video]

20161128_004050_resize.jpg

20161128_004106_resize.jpg

Oh believe me, that little beastie deserves at least one more flight before it gets retired (or framed).

I will put it on a sled next to a new RRC3, you can imagine the 'chat' on the flight.

RRC2 - You young 'uns have it easy, why back in my day Rockets were made out of toiletpaper tubes and spit.
RRC3 - Quiet down there gramps, there's work to be done!

Awesome doesn't quite cover it. If you just discount that, at the Silverton launch, it was underwater (I think you were there when i tipped the water out). Now, going on the 2008, that is at LEAST 8 years of rain, snow, etc, and temperatures from seriously below freezing up to 100+ whilst it was in the desert. You can see the corrosion on it, water damage, etc.
I am utterly amazed that it works.

Don't fly it as the backup, but rather fly it with a backup. Make it earn its pay one last time.

Don't fly it as the backup, but rather fly it with a backup. Make it earn its pay one last time.

Test it with a couple matches or led with 470 ohm resistor. My money is on it working. Fly it as the main alt. Why retire it- fly it! Or, send it to me and I will fly it...😀

I still have one myself. It's been sent back to Jim for a tune up and still works great. It was my first so I'll never sell er'!

Yep, I was there when you poured out the bucket. I think I grabbed a crusty old NC for myself. That truly is a testament to some robust hardware - years in the desert is rough, but the time spent in the wet bucket was probably worse!

Awesome doesn't quite cover it. If you just discount that, at the Silverton launch, it was underwater (I think you were there when i tipped the water out). Now, going on the 2008, that is at LEAST 8 years of rain, snow, etc, and temperatures from seriously below freezing up to 100+ whilst it was in the desert. You can see the corrosion on it, water damage, etc.
I am utterly amazed that it works.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

IMO the OG RRC2 was the most robust altimeter ever made. One time I flew a Kosdon K1000 (that's a full house 54mm K) in a 4 inch PML airframe and shredded it spectacularly. As I was picking up the wreckage that lay strewn across the lakebed I found the RRC on it's sled still making noise.

I think I flew it 10 or 12 more times before it met it's fate in a nosedive.

Heck, fly it as a backup and see what happens!

No fly it as primary and see if the RRC3 has to be utilized to save the flight.
Also the risk would be if there were some anomaly that would cause a CATO as far a
spurious altimeter behavior is concerned. If it were under water or the baro chip was underwater for
any length of time I'd be a bit more worried.

Nonetheless, it would be something if it performed properly. I'd use a beater glass rocket that can
take two devices. Kurt

Makes me love my three even more now! I hope Jim sees this. Talk about a product testament-wow! Thanks for posting

Back