Happy St Patrick’s Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

Today is a big day locally, because I live in Dublin.

No, not THAT Dublin, the one in California. The town had Irish founders, and the city puts on a few events. I usually don’t participate much, but this year my wife and I are going to several Saint Patrick’s Day celebrations, and it should be pretty fun.

If it wasn't for social media, I would've completely missed. Absolutely a non-event in our house. I hope those who celebrate do so wisely. Your dog will never understand why you didn't come home. Be safe out there folks.

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

Today is a big day locally, because I live in Dublin.

No, not THAT Dublin, the one in California. The town had Irish founders, and the city puts on a few events. I usually don’t participate much, but this year my wife and I are going to several Saint Patrick’s Day celebrations, and it should be pretty fun.

...my name is Patrick - it's my day!

I picked the wrong day for my orange t-shirt. Oops. Considering my significant Irish heritage...

Play loud. Be proud.

Remember - if you're Irish, you're Irish 24/7, not one day a year.

For those interested, a Wikipedia quote:

"The Foggy Dew" is a product of the political situation in Ireland in the aftermath of the Easter Rising and World War I.

Approximately 210,000 Irishmen joined up and served in the British forces during the war.[7] This created mixed feelings for many Irish people, particularly for those with nationalist sympathies. While they broadly supported the British war effort, they also felt that one of the moral justifications for the war, "the freedom of small nations" like Belgium and Serbia, should also be applied to Ireland, which at that time was under British rule.[8] The 1915 Gallipoli slaughter of the young and mainly middle-class Irishmen who had joined up in response to John Redmond's call turned many people against the war.

In 1916, Irish patriots led by James Connolly and Patrick Pearse, taking advantage of Britain being preoccupied by World War I, seized some of the major buildings in Dublin including the General Post Office, while others came out in Ashbourne and Galway in the Easter Rising.

The brutal response to the Rising, and the execution of its leaders that followed, marked a turning point for many Irish people. The public revulsion at the executions added to the growing sense of alienation from the British Government.[8]

Canon O'Neill reflected this alienation when he wrote The Foggy Dew commemorating the few hundred brave men who had risen out against what was then the most powerful empire in the world. In 1919, he attended the first sitting of the new Irish Parliament, Dáil.[9] The names of the elected members were called out, but many were absent. Their names were answered by the reply faoi ghlas ag na Gaill – "locked up by the foreigner".[9]"

Back