Happy Pi Day / Einstein's Birthday

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
Happy Pi day to all of you 3.14159....
and it also happens to be Einstein's birthday!
a good day for geekdom!

Even as a self confessed geek, i find devoting a day to a number a tad sad.

Not if you consider it a day to increase math awareness for kids. And that is what a couple of science museums use it for. I remember it fell on Friday last year, and there was a special celebration going on at the NPR Science Fridays island on Second Life, at the same time a museum was having a party for kids - the curator was the guest on both Science Fridays and Second Life to promote it. A lot of fun!

okay, fair point - i guess its similiar to mole day for chemists

I should point out here that it isn't THAT serious - part of the celebration at one museum (at least) was serving pie to the celebrants and I think they had a pie fight with whipped cream pies (nothing but whipped cream in a pie tin). It's the math awareness that counts! :D

Whats next, root-two day? :p:rolleyes:

That gives me an idea for an oddrock- a flying pie-rocket!:D
Now the tough part- deciding what kind of pie- Boston cream, blueberry, or pumpkin? or the old standard, apple?:confused:

Hey! you're stealing my idea for this years imagination celebration at NARAM!

Now look what you've done!- i cant get this idea outta my head;).
Oh but i think i've come up with a great recipe idea for the rocket-pie:

2 recycled aluminum foil pie plates (preferably 3.14159 dm dia.)
1x 29mm motor mount tube ( or a cluster of 24mm's)
1 drinking straw (launch lug)
simulated cream pie filling ( spray insulation foam in a can)
gloss white and flat golden brown acrylic paint

That only leaves the recovery to sort out, i.e.:

-If a pie falls in the forest...
-Does anybody eat it?? :D:p

I knew about today being Einstein's birthday (and since my girlfriend's birthday is also today I'm very jealous) but I hadn't made the connection to it being pi day...that'll amuse her. :p

Oh and I think for the pie-shaped rocket a red hemi is the order of the day to simulate a cherry on top. ;)

Last edited:
Happy Pi day to all of you 3.14159....
and it also happens to be Einstein's birthday!
a good day for geekdom!
On Saturday, my daughter (14) and her Uncle got into an impromptu contest, seeing who knew more digits. She hasn't quite reached her uncle yet, but she has me beat (I think she knows 37 or so, I'm good for only 32). I'm so proud :D .

Whats next, root-two day? :

Actually we just had Square root day on 3-3-09, next one is not till 4-4-16.

I knew about today being Einstein's birthday (and since my girlfriend's birthday is also today I'm very jealous) but I hadn't made the connection to it being pi day...that'll amuse her.

My wife's B-day is on international talk like a pirate day, how she feels about it varies from year to year.

Back