Happy New Year! (Year of the Rabbit)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Celebrate New Year GIF by Simon Super Rabbit

The Chinese shut everything down for almost a month. wish we did the same.
Officially, its a 1-week holiday but unofficially most take 2-4 weeks off. Travelling to visit family and friends is a big deal, even overseas Chinese go back to visit. It's the only real holiday they get so they make the most of it.

Officially, its a 1-week holiday but unofficially most take 2-4 weeks off. Travelling to visit family and friends is a big deal, even overseas Chinese go back to visit. It's the only real holiday they get so they make the most of it.
Out of curiosity, how are you so familiar with Chinese/Cantonese?

I'm Cantonese! :D

...which is a dying language and group (due to China's push to standardize Mandarin as the only language taught in all schools). :(

So something else that can be related to Vulcan! 😆

Out of curiosity, how are you so familiar with Chinese/Cantonese?

I'm Cantonese! :D

...which is a dying language and group (due to China's push to standardize Mandarin as the only language taught in all schools). :(

So something else that can be related to Vulcan! 😆
Fraternal grandfather came over in 1908 from Guangdong province. He paid the $500 head tax but could not afford to bring his first family over. Then the doors were closed and not opened until the racist Chinese Immigration Act was repealed in 1947. He remarried in the meantime. Technically it was bigamy but since he also attended the local Bible college and was a respected businessman, it was overlooked. Plus, few were going to object since his hotel was the local source of beer after Prohibition was repealed. :clapping: He was, however, looked down on by Almeda Halderman who was head of the Temperance movement in town and also Canada's first chiropractor. You may also have heard of her as she was Elon Musk's great grandmother. :cool:

Year of the rabbit? Not for everyone. I work with a lot of great people and they are celebrating year of the cat. Monday starts off with egg rolls !
No disrespect intended - the Vietnamese honour the cat instead of the rabbit, and the buffalo instead of the ox.

Last edited:
Back