Happy Memorial Day!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Memorial Day is not just another day off to BBQ. Memorial Day is very sacred and we should all take the time to remember those that have given their lives as a sacrifice for this country. Even this old Veteran learns a little about service and how to better honor those who came before me.

MEMORIAL DAY IS DIFFERENT FROM VETERAN'S DAY.

Both holidays are there to honor those that have served. You may have noticed that Veterans are a little uncomfortable with being talked for their service on Memorial Day. Although it is customary to gather and honor veterans who have served the United States throughout the country’s history during these holidays, there is a difference between the holidays:

• Memorial Day is a day marked for the living to honor the men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice by dying while in the military service of their country. It focuses but is not completely isolated from those who died in combat as a result of wounds sustained in battle.
  • Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALL who served in the military. It is not tied to combat service and applies to both those who have died or survived their service. Veterans Day always occurs on November 11.
On Memorial Day, I ask you to think about those you know that have served and died. This day has a special meaning to me because I, as a physician, have treated many of those that have survived and died from combat wounds. There is nothing as touching to a tender heart like the sound of Taps being played or the flag-draped coffins being loaded on a plane or vehicle.

If you have the time, go to a Veteran’s Cemetery and put flowers or a flag on the graves. Nothing creates more tears as a child or family adding a flag to a Solider’s grave.

Thank you again for taking the time to think about those that have sacrificed so much for this country and the world.

I am also sadden by folks that do not know the difference between the two holidays :(

I took these pictures while on my uncles' Honor Flight tour of Washington DC. He was a WWII vet but we toured all the memorials plus Arlington Cemetery. Remembering the Price of Freedom....

Attachments

• DSC_7581.JPG
    DSC_7581.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_7582.JPG
    DSC_7582.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_7661.JPG
    DSC_7661.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_7662.JPG
    DSC_7662.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_7639.JPG
    DSC_7639.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_7642.JPG
    DSC_7642.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_7693.JPG
    DSC_7693.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_7708.JPG
    DSC_7708.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_7712.JPG
    DSC_7712.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 12
I am fortunate that my family members who have all served, have made it home. Sadly, one of my first rocket mentors battled complications from exposure to Agent Orange and lost his life about 10 years ago.

Freedom is never free. Thomas Jefferson said it best: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A13E417F-4937-4764-83B8-B0F5E2AE2A20.jpeg

440EEF76-A69E-4271-B26C-F2645E75E4C5.png

James Tylee, 41 years old, New Yorker by birth, Texan by choice.

My maternal grandmother’s ancestor.

Rest easy, sir.

I have one for you Chuck.

In an essay in the American Daily Advertiser, Alexander Hamilton succinctly summed up how best to preserve our liberty. He wrote, "If it be asked, 'What is the most sacred duty and the greatest source of our security in a Republic?' The answer would be, an inviolable respect for the Constitution and Laws — the first growing out of the last. ...A sacred respect for the constitutional law is the vital principle, the sustaining energy of a free government."

In an essay in the American Daily Advertiser, Alexander Hamilton succinctly summed up how best to preserve our liberty. He wrote, "If it be asked, 'What is the most sacred duty and the greatest source of our security in a Republic?' The answer would be, an inviolable respect for the Constitution and Laws — the first growing out of the last. ...A sacred respect for the constitutional law is the vital principle, the sustaining energy of a free government."

Great quote!

10:00 Quote:

Harry S. Truman
"Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices."

All of the most absolutely wonderful quotes ring with such truth and everlasting relevance...

I never read that one before..

Teddy

11 am quote:

Adlai Stevenson II
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

1300: a little late:

Gen. Douglas MacArthur
“No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation.”

1500 Quote:

Eleanor Roosevelt
“Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility.”

Memorial Day is not just another day off to BBQ. Memorial Day is very sacred and we should all take the time to remember those that have given their lives as a sacrifice for this country. Even this old Veteran learns a little about service and how to better honor those who came before me.

MEMORIAL DAY IS DIFFERENT FROM VETERAN'S DAY.

Both holidays are there to honor those that have served. You may have noticed that Veterans are a little uncomfortable with being talked for their service on Memorial Day. Although it is customary to gather and honor veterans who have served the United States throughout the country’s history during these holidays, there is a difference between the holidays:

• Memorial Day is a day marked for the living to honor the men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice by dying while in the military service of their country. It focuses but is not completely isolated from those who died in combat as a result of wounds sustained in battle.
  • Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALL who served in the military. It is not tied to combat service and applies to both those who have died or survived their service. Veterans Day always occurs on November 11.
On Memorial Day, I ask you to think about those you know that have served and died. This day has a special meaning to me because I, as a physician, have treated many of those that have survived and died from combat wounds. There is nothing as touching to a tender heart like the sound of Taps being played or the flag-draped coffins being loaded on a plane or vehicle.

If you have the time, go to a Veteran’s Cemetery and put flowers or a flag on the graves. Nothing creates more tears as a child or family adding a flag to a Solider’s grave.

Thank you again for taking the time to think about those that have sacrificed so much for this country and the world.
Thank you Sir. That is exactly what Mrs and I did this morning with nearly 6 YO son. Veterans Cemetery and placed flags on grave sites. I felt it important for the son to know and understand what today is about.

Thank you Sir. That is exactly what Mrs and I did this morning with nearly 6 YO son. Veterans Cemetery and placed flags on grave sites. I felt it important for the son to know and understand what today is about.

Thank you for passing on the knowledge. So few honor the sacrifice today. Mine efforts started as a schoolchild marching in white to the National Cemetary to put flags and flowers on the graves. Grafton (WV) does it very Memorial Day. I have continued it until this year. I could nto travel this year because of COVID. I had several provate moments think of fallen comrades instead.

Our scout troop puts flags on the graves of veterans before Memorial Day each year. This year, however, because of COVID-19, the Scout council directed troops not to gather. So, *unofficially*, one of our troop leaders asked if any of the scout *families* would be interested in volunteering in plain clothes and not in uniform. So they still went, as families, safely, and got the job done.

I truly wish the troops in PDX did the same at Willamette National Cemetery.
I really wanted the son to see the 1000’s of flags, not realizing because of C19 they did not do so.
So as an alternative we placed several flags ourselves.
Perhaps next year.

Back