Happy Independence Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
To my fellow Americans: On 4 July 1776, a nation was born. It has its flaws, but on that day, our founding father created a new nation that truly changed the world. Enjoy today and build some rockets, but remember what principle we are based on: the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit fo happiness.

To my fellow Americans: On 4 July 1776, a nation was born. It has its flaws, but on that day, our founding father created a new nation that truly changed the world. Enjoy today and build some rockets, but remember what principle we are based on: the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit fo happiness.
Thank you Chuck

And remember, 'Freedom is never free'.
IMG_20200704_112242.jpg

Thanks Chuck, same to you. Got to launch some rockets today so made for a fun day.

Read a good history book or see a good movie about the writing and passing of the Declaration of Independence (Ben Franklin stated that there must be a Divine Providence in order for so many different opinions to agree on the Declaration) or visit the history of the Revolutionary War and understand how George Washington was defeated again and again, but kept escaping to fight again. What the heck, George Washington was almost captured by the British on several occasions. During the French and Indian War the Indian chief Tecumseh said he shot George Washington several times, but he wasn't even scratched. There were so many close calls when this nation was being formed, it is amazing that we are here at all, let alone being the greatest country on the planet.

Last edited:
Please, everyone, remember the ten words that will reduce fireworks accidents by over 90%:
Do not hold in hand.
Light fuse, get away quickly.

Exactly, simple measure keep this holiday safe. Just add to that to not use fireworks if you have been using alcohol.

I actually had a 3" shell blow up near my face about 10 years ago during a show at a theme park in Georgia. Proper PPE and body positioning near the hand lit rack left me with a dime sized 2nd degree burn on my cheek from a single star that worked it's way under my face shield as I ducked. I also had a few dents on my hardhat and burn marks on a nomex coat. It was a learning lesson to reinforce PPE and distance to the crowd.

Exactly, simple measure keep this holiday safe. Just add to that to not use fireworks if you have been using alcohol.

I actually had a 3" shell blow up near my face about 10 years ago during a show at a theme park in Georgia. Proper PPE and body positioning near the hand lit rack left me with a dime sized 2nd degree burn on my cheek from a single star that worked it's way under my face shield as I ducked. I also had a few dents on my hardhat and burn marks on a nomex coat. It was a learning lesson to reinforce PPE and distance to the crowd.
Six Flags? Or Stone Mountain for the summertime laser show?

Not to be a buzz kill but I find that illegal fireworks have no place within a city or community. Certain states they are legal only if used outside of city limits. It's like rockets. Look at the safety codes we have in place for our hobby but a rocket in the wrong hands or inexperienced user can cause harm or even cause death to others and safety is the number one concern every year but yet so many refuse to follow simple guidelines and put others at risk. I live in California yet so many illegal fireworks find their way here. I understand the profits for safe and sane fireworks help our schools and other programs but the very acceptance of them tend to give other individuals reasons to bring in the illegal fireworks to shoot off. We've had so many issues with fires across the state that I feel the risks are greater than the reward. It also taxes our police departments and the number of calls they get. It ruins the quality of life. It's not just on the 4th that people shoot them off its from May to October. You'll hear one go off at 3 am during the week. What needs to be done is to ban all fireworks Within These communities and cities. Yes unfortunately everybody loses including the schools. But I would think someone's life or home or hillside it's more important than how much a school can raise during the sale of safe and sane fireworks during the 4th of July. Also I feel that the fines for shooting off the illegal fireworks is way too low. Basically first offenders second offenders and third offenders the fines are as follows $1,000 $2,000 and $3,000. The fines
should be as follows $3,000 $6,000 + $9,000 all charges also include either community service or jail time. And there is no warning if you're caught with illegal fireworks you are going to get fined or thrown in jail. I know this sounds really really harsh but sometimes you need laws like this and enforce them to get your point across. So you have my rant and on that note I hope everyone had a wonderful Fourth of July and that no one got hurt.

Six Flags? Or Stone Mountain for the summertime laser show?

This was at Wild Adventures in Valdosta. These were 4th of July only shows for 3 nights. I went down 2 years in a row but couldn't be gone that long for fireworks when I got my current job and off the 24/48 schedule.

This was at Wild Adventures in Valdosta. These were 4th of July only shows for 3 nights. I went down 2 years in a row but couldn't be gone that long for fireworks when I got my current job and off the 24/48 schedule.
My North Georgia/Atlanta Metro bias is showing. Wasn't aware of anything down in South Georgia in Binford territory.

Quiet day at my apartment with my family.

This has been the quietest and weirdest 4th of July in recent memory, if not ever.
No gatherings, no fire-works (not in my town, or nearby towns, nor NYC), no parades, no community events, no get-togethers with friends.

None of the usual activities associated with the 4th of July were on tap this year.
Our Club's pool was half-empty (baselined to CV19 occupancy restriction levels), despite the perfect weather. Usually, 4th of July is the busiest day, over-flowing with members grilling and partying for the occasion.
The roads where half-empty.
I figured everyone bolted to the beach, but no, beach cams showed half-empty shore.

Everyone had hunkered down at home.
We ran down our inventory of fireworks, and retreated inside to watch Hamilton. Even that was a slow-mo disappointment, that doesn't capture the atmosphere of the theater.

Lets hope the next year's 4th will be more fun!

a

Last edited:
Our city cancelled the show at the lake, so I guess everyone bought and shot way more personal fireworks this year. From about 8:00 to about 11:00, I don't think there were 5 uninterrupted minutes. It was pretty great, and we did our little bit from about a half hour before sundown.

This has been the quietest and weirdest 4th of July in recent memory, if not ever.
No gatherings, no fire-works (not in my town, or nearby towns, nor NYC), no parades, no community events, no get-togethers with friends.

Very surreal.

My North Georgia/Atlanta Metro bias is showing. Wasn't aware of anything down in South Georgia in Binford territory.
We did a small show for a local event at the Atlanta Speedway during my first trip there. I couldn't believe how steep the turns are banked when drive through the tunnel to the infield.
Lets hope the next year's 4th will be more fun!
Same! I work the weekend of the 4th again next year. Hopefully public displays are back on and the backyard shows get a little tamer. Night shift in the ER had a rough night.

Back