Happy Friday & TRF 1.0 News!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Well, Happy Friday everyone. I hope everyone is safe and has some great plans lined up.

There are times that running a message board has it ups and downs. This is definitely one of the ups in TRF.

Thanks to our own Troj (Kevin), the TRF 1.0 database has been recovered! That's right it's been recovered and fixed. Let's hear it - Woohoo, Woohoo!!!

There are several steps that need to occur before we put it back on-line though, so please-please-please be patient. Some of those steps are direct and some indirect. So again, I'd ask you to please be patient and not keep inquiring of the date when it'll be back on-line. If I did have to give a swag I'd estimate one month.

While, to some, this could seem like an eternity we simply need to accomplish some things in the background both with backups, upgrades to our user panel & server, establishing a new URL for the TRF 1.0 archive, upgrading the forum software and applying a new skin. At the end of this is putting TRF 1.0 back up for archive purposes (meaning we won't be able to add to it).

Also, I'd like to add a special, sincere, and heartfelt THANK YOU to the moderation & admin staff here on TRF. Without their hard-charging, volunteer, efforts we would not be where we're at past and present. If these were paid positions, I'd be giving each one of them a significant mid-year bonus in their next paychecks.

So, let's look forward to seeing an archived copy of TRF 1.0 coming back up, along with some additional improvements within the next month or so.

Have a great weekend!

A sincere THANX for everybody's hard work on this project!
At times I'm sure it felt like a long roadtrip with the kids- "are we there yet?"

Thanx everybody!

Evil Ed

That's great news! But, don't you have it up, yet? :D:rolleyes::cool:

Actually....

We do.

But it's not in its permanent home yet, so a link isn't being provided.

Just so folks understand, when the data is made available, it will be for reference purposes, only. No posting, no logging in -- everyone's password has been clobbered to something that won't work. This also means that PMs are not going to be accessible.

-Kevin

The logic behind it is this...

If we let people at PMs, they have to be able to log in. Which means we may run into "My old account uses [email protected] but my new account uses [email protected], can you switch my email address, so I can recover my password?" Now, do we know that they're really the same people?

Not to mention that if people can read PMs, they can send PMs, possibly post messages, etc. It's meant to be read only, and that's all. No logins, no PMs, no new posts, nada.

-Kevin

Okay, you asked for it...

Woohoo, Woohoo!!!

:D

First thing I'm going to do after I get access is to back up my Level 3 build thread I had going.

I just hope that all the nay-sayers and malcontents that groused and grumbled and threw stones (while not lifting a finger to help) when TRF 1.0 crashed have the good graces to apologize now.

Thank you Troy and Kevin (and all the volunteers who go unnamed).

Not to mention that if people can read PMs, they can send PMs, possibly post messages, etc. It's meant to be read only, and that's all. No logins, no PMs, no new posts, nada.

I'll just be happy to have the archive available to us again. I lead a very dull PM life so no loss to me there... ;)

Thanks for all the efforts, Kevin.

I'm assuming TRF 1.0 is the old board?

I wasn't a part of it but I'm sure it's full of great resources for a noob like myself. Look forward to seeing it!

I'll kiss a little butt right now and throw in a thanks to those of you running this place and anyone who has helped or humored me. This board has made it easy and entertaining to get back into the hobby.

Thanks! :)

Excellent :D

Thanks to all who helped get it back up and running - there is a tremendous amount of knowledge available there, and it would have been a shame if it were lost forever.

woohoo!!!!! I know what a royal pain data recovery is. Thanks for all the hard work

The logic behind it is this...
Not to mention that if people can read PMs, they can send PMs, possibly post messages, etc. It's meant to be read only, and that's all. No logins, no PMs, no new posts, nada....
I understand the logic.

Would it be possible to have the folder just emailed to the last known email address? Formatting is not important, just the information.

I know it takes a while to do these things, but any idea on an ETA for getting it accessible to us? Their is a thread on it I really am wanting to get to.

ETA: My bad, I re read the post. One month is good with me :D Thanks for doing this guys.

Congrats on the data recovery. And a big thanks to Kevin.

Also, thanks for letting us know now, that it has been recovered, and will be available in a month or so. Rather than perhaps waiting another month or so for it to go “live” on-line first and then announce it. I know as impatient as some folks can be, that may at least have been considered.

For example, now I know that certain message I wrote almost 3 years ago will be back, so I do not have to bother with rewriting it (it was about some Aero Aces R/C planes). I can wait....

- George Gassaway

Thank you to anyone and everyone that made this possible.

I wish I could have volunteered to help in this effort, but believe me, with my computer skills, I would have done more harm than good.

Whenever it gets here will be fine with me, if that's a week or several months. And it would be nice to have a chance to download old PMs, but if we can't, then we can't.

Here's one more odd thought: Since TRF1 is now effectively limited to a finite number of posts, and represents a library of data that includes build advice, tips, build threads, and lots of other goodies...would it be possible (at some point in the future) to offer TRF1 for sale on a CD? This could be a chance to also do a little fund-raising to support TRF2 operations.

Here's one more odd thought: Since TRF1 is now effectively limited to a finite number of posts, and represents a library of data that includes build advice, tips, build threads, and lots of other goodies...would it be possible (at some point in the future) to offer TRF1 for sale on a CD? This could be a chance to also do a little fund-raising to support TRF2 operations.

An interesting idea, but it's not likely -- not only is the data in the range of gigabytes, something new would have to be rewritten to navigate the data, as it would be a license violation to include a copy of vBulletin with the data.

-Kevin

(I promise I'm not gonna chase this one down to the ground, but I did have one more idea-)

If a buzillion bytes is too much at once, what about doing a "series" of library entries. Each one would be as many forum sections as would fit on one 700 MB data CD. I'm purely guessing here how many it would take, but I still think a 5 or 10 CD set would be sellable. Or, the CDs might be offered individually.

I wouldn't mind if the data was in purely bulk form as long as it was readable. I am hoping it could be made compatible with some fairly common sort of "reader" application (like MsWord, or .pdf format, or whatever).

Just a thought.

I'll be quiet now.

I'll work with Kevin on this but, here's my thoughts.

I agree that making these available would be a huge asset to everyone, as well as TRF. Having said, that I fully respect Kevin and his concerns. The biggest one, at the moment, being the vBulletin software.

Let me talk to Kevin today or tomorrow, and then let me place a call into vBulletin to see what their thoughts are if we burn & lock the historical data on DVD - if it's possible.

We'll go from there . . .

Fair enough?

Troy:
That's Great news!
There was a Ton of wonderful, useful and cutting edge info on the old TRF.

I Big Hat's Off to everyone who worked so hard to recovery all this almost lost data:)

Thank you all so much!

Congrats to the data recovery team!

Personally, if the data is restored (and subsequently backed up) and
made available via the 'Net, then I wouldn't worry too much about
making CDs or DVDs... Spend that time, effort and money on
proper system backups and testing.

One more thing- since the v1.0 site will be read-only, I suggest
allowing Goggle and other search engines index the content.

Wow.

Simply. Wow.

I honestly never expected this and I am thrilled at the news.

Incredible job, one an all of those involved. Kevin... ...THANK YOU.

:)

It's because he gets his ten buzillion post count reinstated.

Just kidding, Jim

It's because he gets his ten buzillion post count reinstated.

jflis...

jflis...

Nope, I don't see a jflis anywhere in the user data for the old forum.

There are, however, quite a few posts attributed to "anonymous". :p

-Kevin

Back