Happy Birthday Linux, you hit the big Three-Oh

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
from https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/25/linux_kernel_30_years_old/

"On August 25, 1991, Linus Torvalds, then a student at the University of Helsinki in Finland, sent a message to the comp.os.minix newsgroup soliciting feature suggestions for a free Unix-like operating system he was developing as a hobby.

Thirty years later, that software, now known as Linux, is everywhere."

In about '92 or so, my next-door neighbor, Tom, was a grad student in Physics at OU. He introduced me to linux, and held my hand while going through *many* .config files and kernel compiles. In a box ontop of a bookcase in my office, is a box of Slackware install disks, plus the needed "boot" and "root" disks (3.5" floppies!). Nowdays, you download one of many flavors (including Slackware!) and stuff "just works". It's truely amazing how Linus Torvold's "child" has spread throughout the world, and into our lives (the server this forum is running on is probably running linux - the Android phone operating system is derived from linux). AND IT'S STILL FREE!

I downloaded it to a flashdrive this week. Still trying to figure out how to get a MS Win XP machine to boot from the USB to install it. I have some ideas, but no time until tomorrow or Friday to try them.

A little disappointed that they're dropping support for 32 bit machines in a year or two.

Yeah, but other than changing modern civilization entirely what has UNIX ever done for us?

/me shouts at thermostat to order a burrito delivered by drone

Back