- Apr 15, 2020
- Reaction score
Can't wait to see it fly on Saturday!No photo updates today, not enough time, trying to get things polished up for Saturday.
I now have five of the six 29mm tubes all finished and ready for flying. I just need to make a retainer for the altimeter mount on the 6th one. I had been struggling to come up with an idea that was simple and effective... and I just figured it out mid-sentence while typing this update. So I should hopefully have that done tonight.
I've got everything finished for the shear pins now too. I'm going with three 2-56's. I'm only worried about drag separation in this case, otherwise I would have upsized them if I was doing a proper dual deploy. The nose IS pretty heavy after all. Since it's a heavy walled cardboard rocket I opted to stiffen the areas around the pins by soaking with CA. Given how thick the plastic walls of the nose cone are, I think it should create a good shear to break the pins easily.
Recovery gear only needs to be shifted around a bit which will take me about 5 minutes, I also have a swivel that needs to get installed.
The last big thing is that I need to calibrate the new Raven and work up a pre-flight checklist for this rocket. After a few dumb moments this year I've decided each of my high-power rockets will get a checklist to make sure I do silly things like turn on the altimeters. Oh yeah, and I need to make sure I'm properly venting the altimeter to the outside. A bit tricky with the MMAS setup but not terrible. Just means more holes in the right places.
Other than that I'm ready for my charge tests, and if those go well it's ready to fly in three days.