Hank Aaron

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Total class act. I wish more professional athletes would emulate him.

I remember tuning into watch every game I could when he was approaching the record, and then watched as the crowd erupted as he slammed that ball out of the field.
RIP Aaron

I was there for Hank's 700th homer. My account below:

Me and a couple of my buddies were in the bleachers in old Atlanta Stadium when Hank hit Number 700, July, 1973.

I was looking through binoculars and saw the ball getting bigger and bigger and realized it was headed straight for me! I put down the binoculars---too late--to catch it but all of us ended up in a human pile fighting for it.

Once the dust cleared we all looked around to see who got it. Then the guys behind us noticed the seat directly behind mine was empty--one of their buddies was the one who ended up with it.

If I'd not been using those binoculars, I proably just could have reached out and grabbed it. Which would have been great 'cuz the Braves were offering $700 to the fan who returned it to them. Oh, well---I got a good ---and true---story out if it.

The kicker to the story is the guy behind me who ended upwith the ball and the $700 wasn't even watching the game. He was reading Aldous Huxley's Point Counterpoint according to the paperback he left behind!

True story--I swear!!

I was very sad to hear of this earlier today, Aaron was an incredible athelete and also so much more than a sports figure. Plus, I only heard that he was a very nice guy, modest and personable to everyone. I wish I could have met him.

I was there for Hank's 700th homer. My account below:

Me and a couple of my buddies were in the bleachers in old Atlanta Stadium when Hank hit Number 700, July, 1973.

I was looking through binoculars and saw the ball getting bigger and bigger and realized it was headed straight for me! I put down the binoculars---too late--to catch it but all of us ended up in a human pile fighting for it.

Once the dust cleared we all looked around to see who got it. Then the guys behind us noticed the seat directly behind mine was empty--one of their buddies was the one who ended up with it.

If I'd not been using those binoculars, I proably just could have reached out and grabbed it. Which would have been great 'cuz the Braves were offering $700 to the fan who returned it to them. Oh, well---I got a good ---and true---story out if it.

The kicker to the story is the guy behind me who ended upwith the ball and the $700 wasn't even watching the game. He was reading Aldous Huxley's Point Counterpoint according to the paperback he left behind!

True story--I swear!!
How many times did you kick yourself? And do you still to this day?

How many times did you kick yourself? And do you still to this day?

It would have been nice to get the ball---and the $700--being a starving college student in 1973. But being there, and the odds of such a historic ball coming right at me is still a priceless memory!

P.S. Also saw the late Phil Neikro's no-hitter that year in Atlanta---Quite my year for baseball games!!!

Back