"Handy" tool...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
Screwing on the aft closures can be a struggle when you want/need to get them snugged down tight. Here's something I made to make the job a little bit easier. Material is 2024 T3 aluminum.

COOL!! I want one. Any chance you would make one for someone else?

Wow, didn't really think there'd be interest but, tell ya what. Let me check into the shipping process and my time and I'll see what I can do. Fair enough?

Oh yeah....this would definately be a handy dandy tool!

Ditto what those guys said!

Jason

*shakes head*

There goes Stones with his tinkering again.... ;)

I've got a little info for those of you who are interested in the closure tool I posted. You may just want to save those hard earned dollars. Wha???...huh???.... :confused:
Not hold on for a sec...
Hows about a tool that most of you can make yourselves, for about $0.020. That's right...20 cents.
I can't take full credit for this as I read something about it from an old rmr thread. However, this particular design, I think, is the best functioning.
Here's a quick pic just to give you an idea. I'll post more about it soon.

Originally posted by Stones
I've got a little info for those of you who are interested in the closure tool I posted. You may just want to save those hard earned dollars. Wha???...huh???.... :confused:
Not hold on for a sec...
Hows about a tool that most of you can make yourselves, for about $0.020. That's right...20 cents.
I can't take full credit for this as I read something about it from an old rmr thread. However, this particular design, I think, is the best functioning.
Here's a quick pic just to give you an idea. I'll post more about it soon.

Outstanding engineering solution! Easy, effective, cheap.

Brilliant, sir. Take a bow!!!

Mark...
Tnx for the cudos. It's words like yours that give a "tinkerer" enthusiasm. ;)
I'll go ahead here and post some pics showing the dimensions of the tool for those that would like to try their hand at it.
Keep in mind, how each individual goes about the building process is at their own risk. You can do this with a bandsaw, possibly a hacksaw, or what I used was a mill (Bridgeport). Use safety at all times, please!
What' you'll need is a 1/2" pvc "t", a small length of 1/2" pvc tubing, some pvc type cleaner (the purple stuff), and pvc cement.
What you use to do the cutting is of your own accord.
The following pics will show each part, up close, with a dial caliper showing the sizes. These dimensions shown are "optimal", but need only to be fairly close to work.
Here we go...

On the "T" again, the width of the tabs. .3125 (5/16")

This is the "inner" short tube. Showing the tab height. .075 (5/64")
The width on the tabs is the same as on the "T" .3125 (5/16")

Showing the total length of the inner tube. .850 (55/64")

Showing the inner tube minimum length. .775 (25/32")

The inner tube is glued into the outer tube with pvc cleaner and cement. Using the cleaner will really help the parts bond securely so, it's best to use it along with the cement.
The inner tube needs to be "bottomed" in the "t" so, use the cement sparingly so that this "bottoming" can be achieved.
In this pic , I have coated the inside of the "t" and the bottom half of the inner sleeve with cleaner. Apply cement to these same areas and position the inner tube tabs so they are 90* to the tabs on the "t". When you have it lined up push the inner tube into the "t" by placing it on a hrad surface and give 'er all you got to get it "bottomed". That's it. You've got very little $$ invested here so, if for some reason it doesn't go as planned with your 1st try, let's just say you can afford to try again. ;)

The last pics are showing the tool in place on a 29/40/120...

Originally, I was going to cut just the tabs on the "t" and use it as is. This is what I read about on rmr. The poster stated that it could be used for 24 and 29 closures. After toying with it a bit, I found that when appling force to the tool when turning, it was possible for it to slip out of the slots on the 29 and the tabs were barely catching the slots on the 24. By using the "inner" tube, it keeps the tabs on the "t" from moving out of the slots on the 29 and gives more tab in the slots on the 24.
You can see in this pic how the inner tube fits rather nicely into the 29 closure.

I'd like to emphasize that the dimensions I show are "optimal". Experiment with the pieces before gluing and you'll find that those numbers don't need to be that exact. A file will clean up anything that seems to tight.

Thanks for posting this, it will make things a lot easier at teh launch site :) I plan on buying some PVC tomorrow...

Just wondering if any of you have tried to make the pvc style tool. I'm not big on "exact" instructions on how to go about things but, I feel the pics and dimensions should get you in the right direction. Those of you who wanted an alumnium tool as originally posted, is there still interest? I'm hoping the pvc tool will suffice as, I don't need the extra work. ;)

I wouldn't mind buying an aluminum tool for 10 bucks or so...

Jason

Well I wanted to make the PVC tool today but forgot the glue... I'll probably do it tomorrow.

That tool looks very professional, the engraving is nice. Need a blister card for the store rack designed?

shrox

Originally posted by narprez
Outstanding engineering solution! Easy, effective, cheap.

Brilliant, sir. Take a bow!!!

Hey Mark! Welcome to the forum!

Stones is pretty good at working creatively. CHAD rocketry at it's best, and a fun guy to fly with to boot!

Nice to see you here in the forum!

Say HI to the NIRA folks for me!

David J. Miller

One question Stones....

I really cannot visualize since I do not have one right in front of me at the moment, but when using the PVC tool on a 29mm, (Ingenious how you use the 24mm to center it BTW), is there enough clearance with the 24mm extension to still clear the nozzle assembly of a loaded motor when using it? I only ask because one is not right in front of me, and I am sure you already took that into account. Ingenious and brillianly simple tool!

Dave
PS... With the extra rain again, how is your backyard looking? My sump pump is going nuts! I tell ya, I am really sick of this! I have started designing my ark, with room for a wife, a child, two ferrets a rabbit, 55 gallons of tropical fish, and about 200 pounds of rockets! And a little propulsion to make it go fast to the other side of Lake Winnabago to the higher ground at High Cliff! Wonder if I can do a level three cert when I strap on those P motors! LOL!

That tool looks very professional, the engraving is nice. Need a blister card for the store rack designed?
Tnx Shrox. The "engraving" is simple number stampings, no big deal. I'm hoping to get more interested in the pvc tool as I'm a bit concerned about damaging the threads in the closures and cases from something as unforgiving as the thick aluminum can be. I would rather the tool failed from over forcing than the motor case.
But, if it comes down to there is still interest for the aluminum tool and it goes as far as store shelves, you'll be the 1st to know. ;)

How much to make a local boy one?
Well Dave, I figure a Sat V kit should be about even up.
I'll take care of ya...not to worry. ;)

...is there enough clearance with the 24mm extension to still clear the nozzle assembly of a loaded motor when using it?
It is up to a G64 nozzle... no problem. With the H size 29's, I'm not sure as I have no info on that particular nozzle size.

PS... With the extra rain again, how is your backyard looking? I've 2 pumps running in tandem, which have been running since 6:30 a.m. Friday and I'm hoping to shut them off by late tonight (that'll be about 60 continuous hours). I'm actually pumping the intersection of 3 yards which is a heck of alot of water. Just about had it licked when that last flood came through. That last 10 minutes brought the water level back to where it was 6 hours ago as far as the pumps could handle. I've never seen rain like this. Too much would sum it up.

Here is a drawing I made of Stones' PVC wrench, based on his picture and text:

Back