Ham radio in rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That goes back to the days when the only license-free band was 27 MHz (R/C was 27 MHz too, outside CB), and Channel 14 was the only one approved for general purpose use but only up to 100 mW. I built a Ch14 transmitter when I was in Jr High, from a book that I found at the library, basically a 27 MHz LC oscillator with an output transistor. It was a bear to tune, but I flew it a couple of times in the nose of a Centuri Orion (which had a nice tube in the nose for payloads). At the time, just hearing a tone in flight was enough...

Errrr, ummmm, In a letter to the editor of Model Rocketry a reader posted a single transistor change/substitution on the final boosted the power output on the Foxmitter to 300mW. I did that and the Federal Cookie Cutters never did catch up to me. I was surprised that M.R. printed the letter as I bet plenty of people did the build that way or swap-out. Kurt

That goes back to the days when the only license-free band was 27 MHz (R/C was 27 MHz too, outside CB), and Channel 14 was the only one approved for general purpose use but only up to 100 mW. I built a Ch14 transmitter when I was in Jr High, from a book that I found at the library, basically a 27 MHz LC oscillator with an output transistor. It was a bear to tune, but I flew it a couple of times in the nose of a Centuri Orion (which had a nice tube in the nose for payloads). At the time, just hearing a tone in flight was enough...

Dang,

Were likely close to the same age.

Kurt Savegnago

Back