Halloween, Pumpkins and Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillyK

Reaction score
Well it's Halloween and one of my sons wanted to carve a pumpkin, so I thought I'd give it a try myself.

Mine is the one on the left.

What can I say?

Rocket themed, with a touch of astronomy, in an activity shared with my son.

Priceless!!!!

... Bill

pumpkins-Oct2009.jpg

OK, been looking for a good thread to post this to. Jim Flis’ just was not quite suitable, but this one does also say “Rockets”. I have posted some of this before.

I have done “Pumpkin Chutes” for over 20 years. Using an orange plastic Jack-o-Lantern type of leaf bag that is sold around Halloween time. In order to get the face right side up, the normally open top has to be sealed up, and the normally closed bottom cut out. Plus adding shroud lines of course.

Makes for an interesting 3-dimensional chute. Of course, cutting them up for a “flat” chute is interesting too.

A couple of years ago, a whole Halloween model. Plastic Frankenstein cup, with Jack-O-Lantern “nose cone” added. Flies on D12-3 power.

And, a simple Waxed Paper Cup, flying on an A10-PT.

- George Gassaway

N34-PumpkinChute.jpg

IMG_5221-c.jpg

IMG_5224-c.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

Last edited:
Love the rocket pumpkin! And the Halloweeny rockets are too fun!

Usually I've spent this past week sewing like crazy to get costumes ready but this year I just have alterations on one to do. No barrel of toxic waste, no Jedi Knights, no wizards...this just seems all wrong.:dark:

Scott Clement has some great Halloween themed rockets. Here is one of them on launch and then during recovery. Wish I'd have gotten a picture of his "bones" rocket :)

DSC04838.JPG

DSC04839.JPG

Here is my Halloween rocket, we flew it at GHS-2009
last weekend on a D12-3. The fins are basswood and were made
by tracing around one of those plastic bats that you can buy right
now. The parachute is made from one of the orange plastic
pumpkin bags that George mentioned. It's a fun rocket.
I was also working on a flying witch's hat for the GHS launch
but ran out of time. Maybe they'll let me fly it next month... :D

jeff

IMG_0751_web.JPG

Here is my Halloween rocket, we flew it at GHS-2009
last weekend on a D12-3. The fins are basswood and were made
by tracing around one of those plastic bats that you can buy right
now. The parachute is made from one of the orange plastic
pumpkin bags that George mentioned. It's a fun rocket.
I was also working on a flying witch's hat for the GHS launch
but ran out of time. Maybe they'll let me fly it next month... :D

jeff
Hey Jeff! Here's another shot of your rocket! I couldn't figure out who's rocket that was. :)
4044365303_9e683694e2.jpg

No rockets, just pumpkins:

Click the picture to see some closeups in my wife's photo gallery.

I recall that you discussed this somewhere last year, but refresh my memory: what do you use to flame them again? Yours are the only examples of this type of display that I have ever seen. Every time you show them, I vow that I will create flaming pumpkin displays like that next year. And every November I promptly forget about doing it until I see your pumpkins again on the following Hallowe'en.

MarkII

Toilet paper rolls, soaked in kerosene, diesel, or lamp oil (this year, a mixture, as I had some of each around).

I can't take credit, though, as I first saw this on the Internet years ago.

Scott Clement has some great Halloween themed rockets. Here is one of them on launch and then during recovery. Wish I'd have gotten a picture of his "bones" rocket :)

Scott always has some creative designs.
Here are two more of his Halloween rockets.
1) Fright Flight (the bones rocket)
2,3) Heads Will Roll
He also has a Witch On A Broom that I don't have a picture of.

Scott's Fright Flight (sm).jpg

Scott&Heads Will Roll atp sm.jpg

Heads Will Roll lo sm.jpg

Did my Yotey thang in front of the house again this year, with a few big rockets as props. Didn't scare as many kids this year.
They must be catching on to that one. Then again, our TorT visits were way down too this year. I blame the swine flu.

MarkII

This year brings back an old CATO tradition.

Punkin Chunkin!

For some stupid reason (lost in the mists of antiquity) we like to get together and see who can keep a 4" pumpkin in the air the longest. The weighting factor is calculated thusly:

53571ce37e083d5fd5b37ad8563c899f.png

(bonus points if you recognize the math)

And the winner wins the unadulterated pleasure of being referred to as "the great pumpkin" behind their back.

This year the great punkin loft is on 11/21 and will be at our Salem field. All local nut cases with an axe to grind against gourds are invited to take part in the mayhem.

As club president my only goal is to fool the locals into believing that pumpkins do indeed grow in trees.

H.... pumpkins don't grow on trees? wow..:D

Awesome stuff guys! you should add some chemicals to the fuel on those flaming pumpkins.. change the colors of the flames

H.... pumpkins don't grow on trees? wow..:D

Awesome stuff guys! you should add some chemicals to the fuel on those flaming pumpkins.. change the colors of the flames
Solo's flaming pumpkins always look incredible!

What chemicals, for instance? (If this was still the '60's, that question would answer itself...)

MarkII

Missed the October "Halloween" Launch due to Rain:(
Didn't have anything new but I always like bringing out the Halloween Odd-Rocs just for the fun of it.
John, is that last one a picture of a bat boost glider? Please, please tell me that you have plans for that one. It's too cruel!

MarkII

Back