H13, Mini-Magnum, and a Micro-Rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This build is geared around the new, 29mm, Aerotech H13ST-Plugged DMS motor. 15 second burn! Whoot!

The rocket is the 1.6” LOC mini Magnum. I added a payload section to house a deployment altimeter (PerfectFlight MAWD) for an apogee event and also to house a tracker (Featherweight). Rough simulations indicate an altitude of about 8,000 ft!

Motor retention is the Estes 29mm screw-on retainer.

I plan on single-deploy only and a speedy descent back to earth, so I want a sturdy aft end of the rocket. I filled the narrow fin can volume with Gorilla Glue. This is like a poor mans expanding foam, but it is easier to pour and has a much longer working time. The Gorilla Glue foamed up more than I expected, and I had to Dremel away the hardened foam so that I could install the aft centering ring.

20210207_093957.jpg

20210204_074838.jpg

1010 buttons would be ridiculously large on this small tube. I thought about mini-buttons, and then dismissed that, too. I’ll go all in on micro-buttons!

The micro-buttons are merely attached with a #2-56 nylon screw, but seem plenty solid.

20210207_092839.jpg

The micro-rail will work nicely. I got a 2-pack of 10mm Maker Beam rails (1500mm long each) from Amazon. The beauty of these rails is that they slide perfectly into a slot on a standard 1010 rail, so it is easy to adapt a typical launch pad. The Maker Beam rails are also threaded on each end, allowing the two pieces to be joined with a short length of M3 threaded rod. That’s 10 feet of launch guide goodness, and this low thrust motor is gonna need it.

20210207_093215.jpg

20210207_093440.jpg

20210208_121254.jpg

Last edited:
The micro-rail will work nicely. I got a 2-pack of 10mm Maker Beam rails (5 ft each) from Amazon. The beauty of these rails is that they slide perfectly into a slot on a standard 1010 rail, so it is easy to adapt a typical launch pad. The Maker Beam rails are also threaded on each end, allowing the two pieces to be joined with a short length of M3 threaded rod. That’s 10 feet of launch guide goodness, and this low thrust motor is gonna need it.

View attachment 449953

View attachment 449954

View attachment 449955
Nice, what's your calculated speed at the end of the rail?

Nice, what's your calculated speed at the end of the rail?

63 ft/s with a 9 ft rail. 40 ft/s with a 4 ft rail. Mass is not final, yet. Also, some extra length needed for wind tip off. So, I think both lengths of Maker Beam will be prudent.

Very cool. I have 4 H13's and a few projects lined up for those. Trying to get my life back in order after a chaotic 2020 with a house reno and a baby arrival. Tomorrow my wife is headed out of town with baby for Galentine's day, so I have 2 days to work on the shop to get it cleaned back up and might do a little work on projects if time allows. :)

Back