H128W Instructions Goof

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpower

Reaction score
So, I purchased an Aerotech H128W reload kit this last weekend from our on-site vendor. Took it out of the package, and looked for the little instruction note that indicates a medium (10s) delay is included. You know, just to double-check, before I drill it out. This is normally right below the check box indicating which reload is in the pack.

The text in this box says (I am not making this up!):

"Note: Propellant grains, ejection charge, and Aft delay spacer not included. This reload kit MUST be used with separately packaged H128W/H180W propellant grains...."

Well what IS included then? I thought maybe the heat was getting to me! Anyone seen this instruction goof? These are clearly a very old version of the instructions, there's a little "Oct 2002" stamped at the bottom of one page. But still...

I've attached a scan for disbelievers. The reload started hard, but flew fine.

View attachment H128W-1.pdf

I had a H165R that was like that, I don't know how old it was. The 4 H128's I have flown this year have been complete reloads with everything.
Matt

Obviously a misprint. Some (maybe even most) AeroTech-branded RMS motors (hardware) come packaged in the same type of bags as the reload kits, and often share package inserts with one or two reloads. IOW, the same insert sheet is used in packages that contain just the motor as well as in packages of some of that motor's reloads. The statement on your insert is presumably meant to apply to packages that contain just the motor, even though there is no other indication that this same insert is used in anything other than packages of H128W and H180W reloads.

Here is the current version of the instructions for that same reload that I downloaded from the AeroTech website. Navigate to page 2 of the .pdf to see the difference.

View attachment 29_120-240w_in_20051.pdf

Last edited:
That page is from when Aerotech had their fire. Propellant grains were made in Texas until they got up and running again. I don't remember for sure but it may have been Ellis that made them. I had a box of 29mm grains at one time.

Brent is right; this was post fire. Indeed, Bob Ellis made them....only White Lightning. This was the time when the J350's had issues due to soft propellant; the cores were enlarged as a result.

I remember the elation when a box of White Lightning showed up by Tim Lehr (who worked at Al's Hobby at the time...pre Wildman Hobbies). I was thrilled to pick up a K550 and see that our motor supply was beginning to increase again.

Like was said, reload kits were pretty much a liner, instructions, and o-rings. Propellant was packaged separately.

-Eric-

Huh, thanks guys, that answers it. Of course, this one was a complete kit; They must have been using up old instructions. Surprising that a 10 yr old reload was still in the pipeline, though...

It happens from time to time, especially when your vendor does barter and trade with people.

I have a bunch of pre and post fire loads and never paid much attention the details on the instructions. I've built many reloads before and usually just skim the instruction sheet just to be sure there isn't some obscure step for putting the motor together.

JD

Huh, thanks guys, that answers it. Of course, this one was a complete kit; They must have been using up old instructions. Surprising that a 10 yr old reload was still in the pipeline, though...

Back