GWIZ MC???? Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
Have any of you guys used this unit? Is it worth the price? I am thinking of getting one to record flight data rather than a MAWD to just deploy chutes. What do you guys think?

the GWIZ MC is sort of similar to the RDAS flight computer as well as Ozark Aerospace's ARTS flight computer. All use an accelerometer for apogee, and a baro sensor for main deployment.

In my personal opinion, the MC has better hardware specs: more pyro outputs, arming seems better, etc. But I feel that the ARTS has a better software package: it can tell you the CD as well as motor data from your flight! Plus, the ARTS is expandable, so you can have a telemetry system, GPS board (mucho expenso). I don't really have any experience with the RDAS, so I will decline to comment about that. All boards seem to be within +-$20 of eachother.

All will deploy your chute's when you want them to, and all give you some extra goodies after launch. OT: has anyone tried taking the GWIZ MC flight data and tried to import it into DataAnalyzer for the ARTS? You would need to get the values in specific spots, but that would not be too hard if you automated it....

I have a G-Wiz MC and a LC Delux

I LOVE them! NEVER had a failure on either -

They are SO easy to prep and the choice of pyro outputs made me build new rockets just to try them out!

Not tried importing the MC data. I just use it to see if I can improve height and speed by minute adjustments to fins and weight. Looking at the data really makes you think "what if I..."

Here's a pic of my Thunder-N-Lightning launching. It used the MC for staging, drogue at apogee and 400' deployment of the main chute. (I've also used the LC delux in the 1st stage to fire the staging and deploy the 1st stage chute at 400').

Next project is parallel staging and airstarting:eek:

The MC also survived trampling by a herd of cows - which destroyed the main body of the rocket...

Go for it! You won't be disappointed!

Damage...

wow thanks alot damage, I definantly think I am going for the MC, I love all the data that can be recorded as well as the ability to hook it to the computer to see if the charges have too much resistance etc. It looks great.

Thanks for your response

I got both an MC (Aerocon, great service as usual from Bob) and an Accel Techtronics ARB-3D on Monday. Today I started playing with them and I found the ARB-3D to be a really neat unit.

https://accelorocket.tripod.com/

Same features of the MC (dual or single battery, super safe, 3 pyro outputs,...), more compact, better priced (USD 174.00) with a better software that lets you configure it deeply in 1 feet and 0.1 sec increments (while the MC lets you choose between 400' and 800' only for main deployment and is *configurable* by removing/adding jumpers on the PCB). The interface is great and works without further mods while for the MC you gotta get a null modem cable...

Plus the ARB-3D has a dedicated Yahoo! group where the subscribed customers receive updated software and firmware in real-time from the developer team. A useful tool to get the most out of the device. The only I know of BTW.

Unfortunately I haven't flight-tested them yet, they'll take care of my Talon4 in the near future.

Didn't want to confuse you Ryan, just let you know of something that still needs to get the attention it deserves.

thanks, I did order the MC however, because I liked the fact that it would work with my mac. We will see what happens after next weekend

Originally posted by Ryan S.
thanks, I did order the MC however, because I liked the fact that it would work with my mac. We will see what happens after next weekend

Ryan,

You'll like the MC, on my larger projects it is my primary alt, backed up by an ARTS. The third channel on the MC is great for clusters and air-starts.

Originally posted by Justin Horne
Whoo hoo! Mac user.:D

the best brand, my 15" G4 powerbook is unstoppable....unfreezable too.

Glad to hear it Thom, the arts has some capatibility issues, it will work, I am just to lazy to set it up with my mac right now, maybe when the GPS thing is worked out for it.

I plan on using the third channel to light the second stage of my Terrer-Sandhawk and do some airstarts in my Mission IMpossible

Originally posted by g_boxwood
Plus the ARB-3D has a dedicated Yahoo! group where the subscribed customers receive updated software and firmware in real-time from the developer team. A useful tool to get the most out of the device. The only I know of BTW.

Ozark Aerospace has a mail list for ARTS owner/users, and firmware updates have been announced in the past with directions on where/how to DL. Not to knock the ARB-3D since I've never used it, but ARTS also lets us communicate with the developer etc., etc.

I bought a couple GWiz MC last Friday. test-flew them in a Quest Superbird.

bottom line is: I can't get them to talk to my computers! the flightview software just puts up a window titled "connect error" and then halts completely. doesn't work on any computer I've tried: win2k, winxp, real serial port, USB serial port, with or without null modem, tried the pin-1 trick ... everything. maybe someone here has gotten the GWiz MC to talk to their WinXP computer??

(flying them in the superbird was interesting. first launched with C6-3, which didn't accellerate the MC enough for it to detect launch! next launches were with D21-4s which had enough kick to get them to record the flights.)

I had some troubles myself early on, tried more different gender-bender and null modem adaptors than you can shake a stick at, the solution was the old serial laplink cable hiding in the closet. Once I used that, and set everything the way they tell you to everything just plain old worked.

thanks Thomas. I tried all that too, and got some help from GWiz (quick reply by email!). nothing worked. the trick turned out to be: reinstall and use the JVM that comes with the flightview software.

(now I just gotta figure out a way to mount the GWiz on the plate in the electronics bay, and have the arming wires run to the airframe.)

I got my Gwiz and flew it twice this weekend, it worked amazingly both times and I also was able to download the data to my computer. It was awesome to see all the data from the flights.

I had a little problem getting it hooked up to my computer. I reloaded the program and pushed the wires together a little harder and it worked fine. This is a great unit.

Ryan, how did you mount the GWiz? is the arming pin externally accessible? want to post a picture?

recently I saw a blacksky altacc and they make a really nifty aluminum enclosure which fits their unit perfectly, holes in all the right places, a nice decal, mounting screws, a real class act. I wish we had something like that available for the GWiz.

Can you connect more than one igniter to the pyro units with the G-Wiz LC Deluze like you can with the perfectflite mini timer?

Thanks,

-Chris

Originally posted by cls
Ryan, how did you mount the GWiz? is the arming pin externally accessible? want to post a picture?

recently I saw a blacksky altacc and they make a really nifty aluminum enclosure which fits their unit perfectly, holes in all the right places, a nice decal, mounting screws, a real class act. I wish we had something like that available for the GWiz.

I used an altitutube setup. Made sure the altimeter was ready to go with the pin in, turned the altimeter off, took out the pin, installed the rocket, then turned it on on the pad.

I would imagine you could stick more ignitors in the terminal, there is no reason you shouldnt, you could always hook it up to your computer, put two ignitors in, and test it.

i dont have any pictures right now, I am at school and my MC is at home, if you are willing to wait until SAT night i can get some then as I will be heading home this weekend

Back