• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

GWIZ MC altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm

Reaction score
Hi all --

I'm looking for a Gwiz MC altimeter. Let me know if you have one you'd like to sell.

Thanks!

I had one till it crashed :( Imho I would look for a different altimeter. Dual Deploy only works in dual battery mode, altitude readings are always off by a lot. I returned my first one and the second had the same issues. And from what I hear from vendors, there is no support from them. Currently I like Pico Altimeters, but I know Robert DeHate, so my opinion is biased on his altimeters :p

Hi Doug --

I've owned 3 over the years and found them to be completely reliable. Perhaps you are talking about the MC2.0 (which had some initial firmware issues) and not the older MC that I'm looking for.

In any case, let's not debate it here. I'm still looking for a Gwiz MC! (To replace the one I crashed - I found for best results you gotta remember to turn them on:y:)

Regards,
kjm

Why do you want an MC...? They've been out of production for a couple of years now.

The HCX is their replacement for the MC series... all the same capabilities, plus an extra pyro channel and more programability.

I've got one that was sent back to the factory to be checked out before I sell it. has the everything A- OK tag signed by Larry on it. I got it back and put it in a drawer for over a year now.

I have all cables and null modems I'll throw in also.

It's the original MC and like you I had good luck with it. Had fantastic data....Just a bear to get the computer to hook up to it. But after upgrading to the new one's and being treated like I was refuse to fly anything labeled G-whiz. I can see why you would want one since you've had good luck.

50.00 and it's yours. I'm on my way back from LDRS and won't be home for a while. Let me know if you want it and we'll set up contact info.

I'll even guarantee it...which is more than G- wiz ever did!!!!

The guys are correct however I had 4 of the MC2's all were bad cost me 2 rockets and personally know of 9 other such cases. G-wiz left us and many many more hung out to dry. But that's another whole story. A vendor friend of mine was stuck with 32 of them that came back and could not get any calls or e-mails answered in a year.

G-wiz MC2 was just a bad design. it was retired in less than a year.The the new version HCX ,HXC whatever the darn thing is called came out to start over.

But none of us that had the defective MC2's [and ALL of them were under warrenty] were ever compensated in any way for our troubles.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim. PM sent.

Hope you had a great LDRS and a safe return.

Regards,
kjm

That's not a good way to be customer friendly.
I bought the high G model & had allot of trouble just ground testing the thing.
I did update the software for it & seems to be communicating with the MC2 now....
I have yet to fly it & know at least one person who lost his L3 attempt due to the G-Wiz MC. I liked the features, but don't want to lose a good rocket due to faulty electronics. I might fly it in my Bruiser as data logging only....

JD

I've got one that was sent back to the factory to be checked out before I sell it. has the everything A- OK tag signed by Larry on it. I got it back and put it in a drawer for over a year now.

I have all cables and null modems I'll throw in also.

It's the original MC and like you I had good luck with it. Had fantastic data....Just a bear to get the computer to hook up to it. But after upgrading to the new one's and being treated like I was refuse to fly anything labeled G-whiz. I can see why you would want one since you've had good luck.

50.00 and it's yours. I'm on my way back from LDRS and won't be home for a while. Let me know if you want it and we'll set up contact info.

I'll even guarantee it...which is more than G- wiz ever did!!!!

The guys are correct however I had 4 of the MC2's all were bad cost me 2 rockets and personally know of 9 other such cases. G-wiz left us and many many more hung out to dry. But that's another whole story. A vendor friend of mine was stuck with 32 of them that came back and could not get any calls or e-mails answered in a year.

G-wiz MC2 was just a bad design. it was retired in less than a year.The the new version HCX ,HXC whatever the darn thing is called came out to start over.

But none of us that had the defective MC2's [and ALL of them were under warrenty] were ever compensated in any way for our troubles.

Back