Gus Grissom's Space Suit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
Anybody seen the article about the high school kid trying to intervene in the dispute between the Grissom family and the government?

Read it here.

I've seen the same story several places but, unfortunately, the reporting is a bit weak.

Grissom's family claims Gus rescued his suit from a dumpster, which is pretty amazing since NASA never threw away any of the flight suits and even kept most of the practice and spare suits. To my knowledge no other American astronaut has ever claimed to own their flown suit (although a fair amount of Russian stuff has made it's way to auction).

You can even find out where most of the flight suits, and a number of the backups, are currently on display at the Field Guide to American Spacecraft's Space Suit page.

The article says NASA states Gus took the suit home, but NASA's position is actually a bit more concrete than that. NASA maintains Grissom signed the suit out to take to a Show-and-tell at his children's school and then never brought the suit back. Bureaucratic oversite allowed the suit to remain in his possesion until years later when it showed up at the Astronaut Hall of Fame.

The article is cute but, unfortunately, the real facts make it less so.

But...but...what if Betty Grissom NEEDS that space suit...say...to go on a mission or something?:confused:

She'd have to go and buy another suit!:eek:

I just saw some show on the History channel that showed the Saturn 5 space suits in a temperature & humidity regulated locker where they were well preserved.

Back