GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of my favorites Ruger Redhawk 45 long colt and Smith&Wesson 10mm. I picked up a lower yesterday for a AR15 build I'm anxious to get building.

IMG_20140831_133127_066.jpg

IMG_20140831_133551_610.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Layne
Nice to hear from you. Seems like recently Ive been wrestling more Squids than anything else:wink: Been such a long time ago but I still have my old wrestling partner. A Perazzi TM1.

Ya' gotta' watch them cephalopods and camelids, they will back jump you in a heart beat. However, I have finally gained control of mine and we are headed in the right direction.

Nice double you have there, never heard of the brand before but after a web search I was impressed.

Two of my favorites Ruger Redhawk 45 long colt and Smith&Wesson 10mm. I picked up a lower yesterday for a AR15 build I'm anxious to get building.

Love the Ruger but not too fond of the Smith. If it is the Model 1006 I had one many years ago, it is a high quality, well made pistol but it just didn't fit my hand. Love the 10mm but on a different platform. Are you doing the AR-15 build thread on any firearm forums?

Well this thread took a quick turn... I hope it doesn't get locked... Honestly I bought my supressor and it was in ATF prison for 8 months after I bought it and they milked me for $200 tax stamp... I don't want to do it every again... What do you guys think of magpul pulling the colored mags?

WHy did Magpul do that?

Lately I've been looking at air rifles. Here in the USA accurate medium power air rifles are hard to find as everyone wants something will do 1200 fps and higher at mass market prices. Therefore online shops for enthusiasts are pretty much the only way to go for RWS, Weihrauch, and Feinwerkbau.

As a jugend in Germany 50 years ago, we always had top notch air rifles to while away those loooong summer days (53.5 degrees N) plinking at plaster targets so we could strut our stuff at the Jahrmarkt in front of the other halbstarke.

Good times.

I have two CO2 pistols that get a fair amount of use these days given the reduced availability of .22LR. They are blowback semiautomatic models (the slides actually work) and are used by some law enforcement agencies for training purposes. Not cheap to buy the pistols ($100+) but the "ammo" is ridiculously affordable.

At work we are making barrels for an airgun manufacture in Tennessee or Kentucky. If all goes we will be making 200 a month. The guns must be expensive as our barrels are not cheap.

M

Love the Ruger but not too fond of the Smith. If it is the Model 1006 I had one many years ago, it is a high quality, well made pistol but it just didn't fit my hand. Love the 10mm but on a different platform. Are you doing the AR-15 build thread on any firearm forums?

If I do a build it will be over on ar15.com

We did a couple 50 cal barrels for Air Guns of Arizona, longer and heavier. The guns they went on we're stupid expensive.
I would like a air gun to shoot in the basement but am not spending as much as a 'real rifle' for it

M

We did a couple 50 cal barrels for Air Guns of Arizona, longer and heavier. The guns they went on we're stupid expensive.
I would like a air gun to shoot in the basement but am not spending as much as a 'real rifle' for it

M

Wait. You have a basement in Arizona? I thought the caliche/adobe soil made basements impractical.

Wait. You have a basement in Arizona? I thought the caliche/adobe soil made basements impractical.

There are older houses with basements, and now it's a new feature in recently built homes as well. "You can have a basement!"

Me no gots weapons.... ;) But lets say the world's gone plum damn crazy and everyone is super nice to everyone else... so everyone gives up all their weapons. (I said the world is plum nuts... you as well.)

Then they are allowed ONE weapon 'just in case.... ;)'

What would it be? Hand gun? Rifle? Which? Why?

Please be reasonable. No mortars and M60s... those are 'like'... NOT reasonable.
But beyond that any pistol, or rifle, or assault weapon is fair game. Money no object. But you'll only get a certain supply of ammo after which you have to buy your own at todays prices.

Ok you can have a one of each.
Now what?

What would it be? Hand gun? Rifle? Which? Why?

Ok you can have a one of each.
Now what?

Remington Model 97 trench gun. About the only weapon I think I could hit something with under the most varied circumstances. Especially on being woken up from a sound sleep. I'd just need to point it in the general direction and pull the trigger.

We have a finished basement, it stays cool most of the time without AC. About half the homes in the neighborhood have one. Houses about 8 to 10 years old. The ground is like concrete.

M

For the sake of being "prepared" a .22LR, say a Ruger 10-22 would be the cat's pajama's. Good for hunting, putting food on the table, and in a pinch self-defense.

For the sake of being able to defend oneself from "danger" an ARmalite-15 style rifle would be hard to beat although a case could be made for a 12 gauge shotgun. Either could also be used for hunting purposes.

For concealed carry purposes, a 9mm pistol would be handy as 9mm is the "world's caliber" and won't run out any time soon.

If you plan to treat your handgun like your lawnmower, my recommendation is a Glock pistol, a Remington 870 shotgun, or an AK style rifle. They will all run pretty much forever with minimal care.

We have a finished basement, it stays cool most of the time without AC. About half the homes in the neighborhood have one. Houses about 8 to 10 years old. The ground is like concrete.

M

Caliche IS concrete after a fashion.

Didn't know about the basement thing, tho. Pop has lived in the same subdivision house in Phoenix since the 1980s and has no basement.

Caliche IS concrete after a fashion.

Didn't know about the basement thing, tho. Pop has lived in the same subdivision house in Phoenix since the 1980s and has no basement.

Caliche is God's Concrete
There are not many basements in AZ

M

M

It's the "new" thing, since it's somewhat energy efficient. Fulton Homes offers a basement option, so does Shea Homes.

I grew up in the desert southwest (El Paso) and can attest to the structural stability of caliche. That stuff really is a PITA when putting in a fence or anything else where you need to dig a hole and are not allowed to use explosives.

Moved to New England 30+ years ago and still don't get the hole under my house thing. I'd much rather have the same square footage in an above ground shop.

Let say you've never owned a weapon. Lets say you have no convictions of anything worse than a parking ticket. Lets say you are in your 50's and have no known mental health issues etc.

How do you start the process of safely owning a decent handgun and keep proficient for fun and recreation?

Theoretically. Oh and lets say for the sake of argument you live in Los Angeles County, California. Theoretically.

Just askin...

Mine is a Fulton home.

I saw a new subdivision in San Tan a few years ago with a big sign that said "Homes with basements!" I would guess you have a home built before the basement option, or you chose no basement, since I did say it's a "new" thing in Arizona.

Let say you've never owned a weapon. Lets say you have no convictions of anything worse than a parking ticket. Lets say you are in your 50's and have no known mental health issues etc.

How do you start the process of safely owning a decent handgun and keep proficient for fun and recreation?

Theoretically. Oh and lets say for the sake of argument you live in Los Angeles County, California. Theoretically.

Just askin...
Check with your local Sheriff's office to find out..

I'm not a big fan of asking law enforcement about laws as they're not lawyers. At best, they're giving you their opinion and at worst bad information.

You would probably have better luck by contacting a local shooting range and ask for information about getting some training. There are also a lot of indoor ranges that cater to handgun shooters and have rentals you can try out before you buy.

In California, all handgun and rifle sales must be transacted through a licensed Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) so to make a purchase you pay for the gun and complete a set of documents (California and Federal) that will get you started through the 10 day waiting period and background check.

If you are buying a handgun, California requires you to obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) by passing a basic safety and legal requirements test. You can get a small study guide from the Department of Justice website. Basically everything you need to know is contained in the guide (locking and storage requirements, transporting your firearm, etc.)

Assuming all goes well (background check, HSC passed), you report to the FFL and demonstrate basic safe handgun manipulation (loading, unloading, safety on/off if applicable, etc.), they hand you your gun and off you go.

Most new purchases will include a lock and you will need a secure storage solution (safe, lock box, vault). StackOn makes very reasonable locking storage boxes and cabinets for less than $150.

Nothing in the above paragraphs should be construed as legal advice as IANAL nor do I play one on the internet. It's just a description of steps in the purchase process.

Get some good training before you buy or go shooting. It will make the process a lot less stressful. If you would like some suggestions for training providers, I may be able to help.

I prefer the long gun to the handgun, nevertheless I had to give the sport a go. My first handgun was a Remington R1... I owned this 45 cal for a week before I realized it was too much handgun for me. A year later I decide to give handgunning another go; I picked up this little gem from Academy Sports for $300: it is a CZ75 clone made in Turkey called the Tri-Star C-100:

IMG_7468_zpsc4d734d4.jpg

IMG_7470_zps6106d098.jpg

When the salesman put this in my hand, it was like shaking hands with a 'old friend' She is a 9mm, that is quite accurate, and fun to shoot. I have been using reloaded ammo that I picked up from a gun show, and so far no issues what so ever.

IMG_7471_zps6affdb8a.jpg

IMG_7475_zps18e83a38.jpg

To compliment the semi-auto pistol, I wanted a nice "wheel gun" I found this nice Taurus Model 82 in 38 Special. She is a security turn in, so I picked it up for less than $200. Save for a small blemish on the bluing, this revolver is like new!

IMG_7851_zps139d8a98.jpg

IMG_7853_zps78639ac2.jpg

IMG_7857_zpsa5707480.jpg

Although I originally considered concealed carry for any one of the two handguns I own... I decided to just shoot for fun... much less of a burden to bear (for me).

Last edited:
Back