GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any movement on your Octane 45?

I just received word from my LGS last week that my BOGO Octane 45 arrived, paid the tax stamp on it over the weekend to get it in the hopper. Took SilencerCo longer for to deliver the BOGO unit that my first e-file took! :rolleyes:
Octane 45 now approved, 9 months, almost to the day... :)

Yesterday I bought a Ruger Mark IV in .22lr. FDE with a top rail and another rail under the barrel. Has a threaded barrel too. Should be here in a couple of days. The gun store has a competition. They use a dart board target. High score wins. Runs for 5 weeks. Now I have a gun that I can compete with. The Walther P22 is just not that accurate at 12 yards.

And here we were told such things were all destroyed in OZ ? Apparently not , it must have been fake news ?
It is a straight-pull rifle, not semi-auto. Strait pulls are still allowed, although some states have "appearance" laws that make that particular rifle banned due to its appearance being similar to the ARs. It is still only a category B firearm, so not terribly difficult to get permits for or for storage. I can convert it to a pump to suit my left-handed shooting, without affecting the category. Incidentally, pump-action shotguns are a higher category and it is more difficult to get permits for and for storage requirements.

Sweet! Does that have a full steel barrel, or does it have a polymer outer shell?
Steel bull barrel. I just finished getting the sights set. Ran 100 rounds through it. With the suppressor on nobody could hear what I was doing. When I had the sights set I started shooting soda cans full of water. Even subsonic the bullets do a number on the can. Good clean fun.

I looked up the Mark IV on the Ruger site, and it looks like none of them are available in California. I wonder what particular California law it breaks. I was not expecting that.
Threaded barrel probably. Here it is with a Gemtech Outback suppressor.20230611_182354[2902].jpg

Last edited:
...its a gun......

LOL. Sometimes it seems that way. But I’ve bought guns legally here from dealers over the past few years with no problem, and with long guns, I know most of the restrictions.

I don’t know the rules about handguns as well. I was surprised that you can’t buy a Mark IV, according to the Ruger website, while plenty of other semiautomatic pistols are available. This is the first I’ve heard of “The Roster”, so I’m glad I asked, and someone had the answer.

Saw some 20-60 x 60 spotting scopes in Aldi last weekend. Ended up going back today on the way home from work and buying one. Will be interesting to see how well it does, as it was $50. Should work reasonably well, based on their other special buys I have bought in the past. Will try it on the weekend.

What say we make a new entry in the pink book? We can combine rockets and gun s in a new way. High speed trap and skeet shooting!
There may be something in the safety code about trying to shoot down clays with rockets.

I thought he meant he was going to try to shoot the rocket w/ a shotgun!

Anyway, I like guns too!

What say we make a new entry in the pink book? We can combine rockets and gun s in a new way. High speed trap and skeet shooting!

5-4-3-2-1-Pull!

‼️

Many years ago this was done at LTR.
So I have heard, I would NEVER have been associated such an activity.

Went to an outdoor shooting range today with my son and a small group of friends. Pretty good time. Except that the Garand safe M2 ball I bought wasn’t. Ended up destroying my stock. Cracked it in 4 places. Dropped off the mechanical parts at the local gunsmith on the way home to see if everything else is ok. Very bummed.

Went to an outdoor shooting range today with my son and a small group of friends. Pretty good time. Except that the Garand safe M2 ball I bought wasn’t. Ended up destroying my stock. Cracked it in 4 places. Dropped off the mechanical parts at the local gunsmith on the way home to see if everything else is ok. Very bummed.
The gun was damaged by GI ball ammo?? That's stranger than fiction. Please follow up on that if you can. I've fed my M1 mostly reloads, and some old LC National Match without incident. Was there any other symptomology? Brass Failure? As a gunsmith and M1 owner, you had me at stock failure.

Jim

The gun was damaged by GI ball ammo?? That's stranger than fiction. Please follow up on that if you can. I've fed my M1 mostly reloads, and some old LC National Match without incident. Was there any other symptomology? Brass Failure? As a gunsmith and M1 owner, you had me at stock failure.

Jim
Article below talksxa bit about ammo and the Garands needs. They are more fragile than people think...only because of newer tech and chemistry.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunition/m1-garand-ammo/amp

Friends,

do we have somewhere in the Watering Hole or another subforum on Guns and Rockets? I love to build, launch and talk about rockets..but I also love to exchange views with other sport shooters... I do believe my Contrail Hybrid motors are in good company with my guns & rifles... This is obviously not about moral perceptions but simply sharing another hobby in common...

Thx for pointing me on the right subforum...
Denis
9 yearold with an uzi? i know of one incident a few years back, it was a micro uzi and it was at an expo.... there was a big fallout and the guy responsible was also LE, and got put in jail I think.
while i dont own an uzi, nor the want, one of the common overlooked problems with semi-automatic firearms, is that they can fail and become fully automatic, if the firing pin is dirty or damaged. this can kill a person if they cannot control the recoil.(unexpectedly even.)

It's hard to comprehend that one day i could kill my child by giving him a car. but, one day he will be of age and it will happen. It's my job to get him to the level to be responsible for those actions. People say children shouldn't do High-power rockets, I think they are wrong. As you say, the highest level and quality of supervision is imperative, and directly impacts the level of safety.

I can't go to Vegas, as it is against my personal moral compass... :)
Good write up Clay.. Your points are valid. Like many others, i love rockets and guns, and both require safety and knowledge. I am just getting back into rocketry now after 45 years. did 20 in the Navy and now 24 years after retiring from that and 45 years later, I’m going to have to hide my guns as my wife is going to kill me when she see what I just bought last night (9 OOP kits on ebay) 🫣

I grew up around rockets and guns with my dad having them. He was adamant on “don’t think about it” with the guns until we were 16 and went to a safety course. Rockets he flew a couple in late 60s and that got me into the hobby.

And spite all safety procedures in place, mistakes whether intentional or not happen, much less , people will do “stupid things”

I recall the article on the young kid with the uzi and personally, good age for BB gun or intro to a 22, but not a firearm like that. (I can’t count the # of stupid things i did as a kid and even an adult)., much less add the craziness of the world today.

Learning to be responsible starts in the home. and sometimes, the homes lack “responsible adults” … need i say more.

I never been to Vegas. Lot of my Navy buddies woild make the 7 hr drive from SOCAL to Vegas on 3-4 day weekends- but with intents that wasn’t my nature.

I wanna go for the shows and hopefully not overeat at buffets and am too old to be getting “wild” 🤣

I’m still a newbie on this site but guns and rockets and fishing i can chat about (and computers and networks and construction, etc. l

Cheers
Alan

Jim
That really sucks. No one getting hurt is good, I recently helped my widowed neighbor sell two of her M1 Garrands and learned a lot about them. (my nephew who is my age) wanted them. I was going to buy one of the M1s myself, but don’t have time right now to enjoy much. maybe after full retirement next year 😉

There was a site I went to where you could get parts for them if you haven’t been able to repair. Will try to dig up if needed.

I liked the balance of the M1 when i was cleaning them for my neighbor and it seemed like it would be a great firearm of choice. My military days had me start in an M14, and I loved it but heavy to carry around (thankfully, only had to use it for training and quals).

Alan

On Gun Broker there is ammo for sale that says it's for Garands. Garand safe.
The little girl and the Uzi happened a few miles from the Dam in Arizona. I was working as an instructor at a range in Vegas. When we all saw the video we were in agreement that the instructor who was helping the girl did just about everything wrong. He was on the left side of her when he should have been just off her right shoulder or behind her. The girl was cradling the forearm in her open left hand. When the gun fired it came off her hand and up to the left. Right where the instructor was bent over. That was where the video ended. Sad occurrence.

Back