GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the only semi-auto rifle I own is the M1 Garand... but something hit me this weekend, and now I have this insatiable urge to build my own 10/22. I am not sure if I want it for competition(?) or plinking(?) Maybe a little of both, so we will call it long range target shooting. I do not varmint shoot, but if needed it should be humanely accurate I would think... the rest would be on me to be accurate.

Show me your 10/22 builds if you would not mind; a laundry list of componentsvis helpful, seeing as I have zero 10/22 components on hand.

So the only semi-auto rifle I own is the M1 Garand... but something hit me this weekend, and now I have this insatiable urge to build my own 10/22. I am not sure if I want it for competition(?) or plinking(?) Maybe a little of both, so we will call it long range target shooting. I do not varmint shoot, but if needed it should be humanely accurate I would think... the rest would be on me to be accurate.

Show me your 10/22 builds if you would not mind; a laundry list of componentsvis helpful, seeing as I have zero 10/22 components on hand.
Build it for Silhouette shooting...best of both worlds.

this may be an rp or simply uneeded, but check out https://m.youtube.com/user/22plinkster , he has made numerous phenomenal 10/22 builds over the years. Dont discount volquartsen, yes its pricey, but they make an outstanding product. I don't have pics of mine, i gave it to my oldest brother, currently my only 22lrs are an mp15-22 (tack driver, true story), mark iv, and a walther p22 (too small, but fun supressed).

jm2c tho

I hope people post some builds! I’m very interested in it too. My paperwork has been started for the CA waiting period on all gun purchases, and I’ll get to pick up my first ever 10/22 on the 6th.

So I’m obviously no hands-on expert on 10/22s, but before I bought this gun, I did go through a lengthy decision process about what I wanted, goals for what I wanted the gun to be able to do, a budget, and whether I wanted to build from scratch, modify an existing model, or buy a gun already set up the way I want, etc. So here are some of my considerations:

• I’m in CA, so the more tactical chassis models with AR-style pistol grips and collapsible stocks are pretty much out. And that’s not exactly what I was after anyway. So I knew I wanted a traditional style rifle stock and needed to avoid any modifications that would make it a CA assault weapon.
  • I wanted the gun to be lightweight, which almost any 10/22 is likely to be, but some models are lighter than others. And that ruled out any of the heavier steel bull barrels. If you want long-range accuracy, then those heavy barrels might be good, but not for me — I’m not likely to do much long-range target shooting. I have backpacking buddies, including some who shoot, and maybe we’ll want to do a backpacking and shooting trip someday, so I wanted it to be very light.
  • I wanted it to be easily portable, like my PC Carbine. So I was leaning toward takedown models that can fit in a small case rather than a full-size rifle case. The takedown models are also good pack guns.
  • I have an idea that it might be fun to try steel challenge type shooting, so I wanted a shorter barrel for quicker handling. And a shorter barrel is consistent with a good pack gun. So I either wanted a factory model with a 16” barrel or budget to upgrade to one.
  • I like the red dot I’m using on my PC Carbine, so I wanted to be able to set up my 10/22 with one as well. That means I wanted the option for a higher comb for using optics. So either a factory model with that option, or budget for an after-market stock or cheek riser.
  • One goal for this gun is to be able to practice the same operations as I do with my PC Carbine, but with much cheaper ammo. So to set up the 10/22 to be more similar, I bought a few aftermarket items, even before receiving the gun. I got an automatic bolt release, so I will be able to release to bolt by pulling it back and letting go, instead of the unusual 2-handed process for a stock 10/22. And I got a left-handed charging handle with picatinny rail. I’ve set up my PC Carbine for left-handed charging, and I really prefer it. It’s not as simple to do that with a 10/22 as it is with the pcc, but I did find a part for it made by Tandemkross. Another option is to do a build from scratch starting with a non-Ruger receiver with left handed charging and a non-Ruger trigger assembly with an auto bolt release, but that’s more expensive.

Once I got my wish list prioritized, I started looking into options:

• Buy a gun already completely set up the way I would want, like the Tactical Solutions X-Ring VR Takedown Rifle, but that’s way over budget for me (over $1,300).
  • Do a complete build from scratch using exactly the parts you want. The nice thing is you get exactly what you want. It’s not as expensive as a premium rifle already built, but it’s still pretty expensive for a 22. I was finding most of the builds coming in around $800 when made with better than stock Ruger parts, but not necessarily ultra-premium parts.
  • Buy a stock Ruger carbine and modify it. The big advantage is that you start off with a rifle you can actually shoot for about $300 (or about $420 for a takedown). The first two options, you need to spend all the money up front before you have a shootable gun. After buying upgraded parts to make a stock gun into what I wanted, the modified builds usually looked like they would come in around $700 or $800, but I would not have to shell out all the money up front. On the downside, the $700 - $800 guns would still be built around the standard receiver and bolt as opposed to the other options where those would be upgraded as well for the same $700-$800.
  • The final option was to buy one of the specialty Ruger models that have almost everything on my wish list and work from there. For me, the two likely models were the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite or the Ruger 10/22 Magpul X-22 Backpacker. The Lite is lightweight, has a lightweight 16” aluminum sleeve bull barrel, has a stock with options to change length of pull and comp height. I was finding that model listed for about $620, but not in stock anywhere (they have it at GrabAGun now). The Backpacker is lightweight, comes with 16” barrel, includes both high and low comb, and as a bonus it includes 3 extra magazines (total of 4) that fit inside the stock. That one is usually around $520.

I decided I would go with the Backpacker. I found it on sale at GrabAGun for $499, and I used a $20 coupon code to get it down to $479, which is not much more than a stock takedown. In fact, with the included 3 extra magazines, it’s almost the same as a regular takedown if you buy 3 additional mags, but you get the Magpul stock, and shorter barrel, and in this case, it’s also a stainless barrel, which is nice. I think I’m really going to like it! And I feel like I got something that ticks most of my boxes, with room to modify it a bit more as I go if I want to. And I think I got a good deal.

After I’ve had it for awhile and put a few rounds through it, I might consider a few upgrades, like maybe an aluminum sleeve bull barrel or upgraded trigger. Or maybe I’ll decide I don’t need those things.

There are lots of videos out there about 10/22 builds. Here’s a pretty good one from Lucky Gunner Ammo on a 10/22 build by their Chris Baker. It might not be the exact build you want to do, but it does show a thought process that might be helpful.

Let me know if you want any links to any of the things I mentioned.

I hope people post some builds! I’m very interested in it too. My paperwork has been started for the CA waiting period on all gun purchases, and I’ll get to pick up my first ever 10/22 on the 6th.

So I’m obviously no hands-on expert on 10/22s, but before I bought this gun, I did go through a lengthy decision process about what I wanted, goals for what I wanted the gun to be able to do, a budget, and whether I wanted to build from scratch, modify an existing model, or buy a gun already set up the way I want, etc. So here are some of my considerations:

• I’m in CA, so the more tactical chassis models with AR-style pistol grips and collapsible stocks are pretty much out. And that’s not exactly what I was after anyway. So I knew I wanted a traditional style rifle stock and needed to avoid any modifications that would make it a CA assault weapon.
  • I wanted the gun to be lightweight, which almost any 10/22 is likely to be, but some models are lighter than others. And that ruled out any of the heavier steel bull barrels. If you want long-range accuracy, then those heavy barrels might be good, but not for me — I’m not likely to do much long-range target shooting. I have backpacking buddies, including some who shoot, and maybe we’ll want to do a backpacking and shooting trip someday, so I wanted it to be very light.
  • I wanted it to be easily portable, like my PC Carbine. So I was leaning toward takedown models that can fit in a small case rather than a full-size rifle case. The takedown models are also good pack guns.
  • I have an idea that it might be fun to try steel challenge type shooting, so I wanted a shorter barrel for quicker handling. And a shorter barrel is consistent with a good pack gun. So I either wanted a factory model with a 16” barrel or budget to upgrade to one.
  • I like the red dot I’m using on my PC Carbine, so I wanted to be able to set up my 10/22 with one as well. That means I wanted the option for a higher comb for using optics. So either a factory model with that option, or budget for an after-market stock or cheek riser.
  • One goal for this gun is to be able to practice the same operations as I do with my PC Carbine, but with much cheaper ammo. So to set up the 10/22 to be more similar, I bought a few aftermarket items, even before receiving the gun. I got an automatic bolt release, so I will be able to release to bolt by pulling it back and letting go, instead of the unusual 2-handed process for a stock 10/22. And I got a left-handed charging handle with picatinny rail. I’ve set up my PC Carbine for left-handed charging, and I really prefer it. It’s not as simple to do that with a 10/22 as it is with the pcc, but I did find a part for it made by Tandemkross. Another option is to do a build from scratch starting with a non-Ruger receiver with left handed charging and a non-Ruger trigger assembly with an auto bolt release, but that’s more expensive.

Once I got my wish list prioritized, I started looking into options:

• Buy a gun already completely set up the way I would want, like the Tactical Solutions X-Ring VR Takedown Rifle, but that’s way over budget for me (over $1,300).
  • Do a complete build from scratch using exactly the parts you want. The nice thing is you get exactly what you want. It’s not as expensive as a premium rifle already built, but it’s still pretty expensive for a 22. I was finding most of the builds coming in around $800 when made with better than stock Ruger parts, but not necessarily ultra-premium parts.
  • Buy a stock Ruger carbine and modify it. The big advantage is that you start off with a rifle you can actually shoot for about $300 (or about $420 for a takedown). The first two options, you need to spend all the money up front before you have a shootable gun. After buying upgraded parts to make a stock gun into what I wanted, the modified builds usually looked like they would come in around $700 or $800, but I would not have to shell out all the money up front. On the downside, the $700 - $800 guns would still be built around the standard receiver and bolt as opposed to the other options where those would be upgraded as well for the same $700-$800.
  • The final option was to buy one of the specialty Ruger models that have almost everything on my wish list and work from there. For me, the two likely models were the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite or the Ruger 10/22 Magpul X-22 Backpacker. The Lite is lightweight, has a lightweight 16” aluminum sleeve bull barrel, has a stock with options to change length of pull and comp height. I was finding that model listed for about $620, but not in stock anywhere (they have it at GrabAGun now). The Backpacker is lightweight, comes with 16” barrel, includes both high and low comb, and as a bonus it includes 3 extra magazines (total of 4) that fit inside the stock. That one is usually around $520.

I decided I would go with the Backpacker. I found it on sale at GrabAGun for $499, and I used a $20 coupon code to get it down to $479, which is not much more than a stock takedown. In fact, with the included 3 extra magazines, it’s almost the same as a regular takedown if you buy 3 additional mags, but you get the Magpul stock, and shorter barrel, and in this case, it’s also a stainless barrel, which is nice. I think I’m really going to like it! And I feel like I got something that ticks most of my boxes, with room to modify it a bit more as I go if I want to. And I think I got a good deal.

After I’ve had it for awhile and put a few rounds through it, I might consider a few upgrades, like maybe an aluminum sleeve bull barrel or upgraded trigger. Or maybe I’ll decide I don’t need those things.

There are lots of videos out there about 10/22 builds. Here’s a pretty good one from Lucky Gunner Ammo on a 10/22 build by their Chris Baker. It might not be the exact build you want to do, but it does show a thought process that might be helpful.

Let me know if you want any links to any of the things I mentioned.

Anything over 16" in a 22lr is a waste ballistically, or at least not a great tradeoff. Longer barrels are better for longer sight radius though.

Anything over 16" in a 22lr is a waste ballistically, or at least not a great tradeoff. Longer barrels are better for longer sight radius though.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard. I watched a demo by Paul Harrell where he fired different 22 lr ammo through different length barrels using a meter, and velocity started to drop off after 16” )or maybe even shorter) with pretty much all types of ammo. I prefer the shorter barrels anyway.

I built this one after a decade of owning a book on customizing a 10/22 😆 ... I wish I had done so MUCH earlier. One of my favorites!

5 bulk ammo bullets in one hole at 25 yards with front resting on a bag.

Screenshot_20230129_190559_Chrome.jpg
(Notice the triangular barrel. I also have a matching black and red Ruger bag for the rifle.)

This one I bought stock to make a custom blue/"ice" version to follow the red one, but it shot so well that I didn't want to mess with it (pouring more money into a good rifle doesn't always make it better).

Screenshot_20230129_185831_Photos.jpg

I built this one after a decade of owning a book on customizing a 10/22 😆 ... I wish I had done so MUCH earlier. One of my favorites!

5 bulk ammo bullets in one hole at 25 yards with front resting on a bag.

View attachment 560242
(Notice the triangular barrel. I also have a matching black and red Ruger bag for the rifle.)

This one I bought stock to make a custom blue/"ice" version to follow the red one, but it shot so well that I didn't want to mess with it (pouring more money into a good rifle doesn't always make it better).

View attachment 560243
I have a mostly stock 10/22 Target model (hammer forged bull barrel) with the laminated stock, only work done on it was bedding the barrel and free floating the action (counter intuitive I know), drilling and tapping the mag release to put a piece of brass rod in it as a mag release extension. Its a shooter every bit as good as what you have there, I do all my own gun work that doesn't involve a lathe or a mill.

I have a mostly stock 10/22 Target model (hammer forged bull barrel) with the laminated stock, only work done on it was bedding the barrel and free floating the action (counter intuitive I know), drilling and tapping the mag release to put a piece of brass rod in it as a mag release extension. Its a shooter every bit as good as what you have there, I do all my own gun work that doesn't involve a lathe or a mill.
Based on my experience, I think that the 10/22 stock can be more accurate than many owners. However, improved trigger would be one thing that may help the most imo.
(Biased opinion from someone with Kidd 10/22 triggers. 😆 )

Based on my experience, I think that the 10/22 stock can be more accurate than many owners. However, improved trigger would be one thing that may help the most imo.
There is a time and a place for custom triggers for sure, I have several Timneys, JP's and others on guns each has their place, some stock triggers just need adjusting/tuning.

There is a time and a place for custom triggers for sure, I have several Timneys, JP's and others on guns each has their place, some stock triggers just need adjusting/tuning.
I think I actually kept the stock trigger in that stock 10/22 that twice in a row got 4 of 5 shots in one hole (25yd indoor) since I really didn't want to mess with it. Pretty long travel and has creep, but if you've shot a lot you learn to compensate for it. :)

I do all my own gun work that doesn't involve a lathe or a mill.

i do as well. i think a lot of folks are hesitant because the perceived nature of the consequences of potentially doing something wrong. There wss a time when I couldn't imagine building an AR or bullpupping a 10/22. Of course when one realizes it's no different than doing a big brake upgrade (or other such technical thing) in that one shouldnt force things, tab a in slot b, check torque twice and so on, it's surpringly straight forward.

i do as well. i think a lot of folks are hesitant because the perceived nature of the consequences of potentially doing something wrong. There wss a time when I couldn't imagine building an AR or bullpupping a 10/22. Of course when one realizes it's no different than doing a big brake upgrade (or other such technical thing) in that one shouldnt force things, tab a in slot b, check torque twice and so on, it's surpringly straight forward.

One of the things that attracted me to the 10/22 is the huge number of aftermarket “drop in” parts that don’t require much skill or any specialized tools. It’s not gunsmithing, but it’s gunsmithing adjacent.

From what I’ve seen and ready anyway, many of the upgraded functional parts are no more difficult to install than just taking the receiver down for a cleaning, and reassembling it with the new parts. I’ve already purchased a few small things to drop in during the first cleaning when my gun arrives.

There are a lot more modifications that take more skill and plenty of things I’d hand over to a professional, but I like that there are some easy DIY modifications too.

I have no doubt the gun will be more accurate than me, as are probably most guns.

I rented an old 10/22 at my range before deciding to buy one, and I’m sure it was just a stock 10/22 with no modifications or upgrades. The trigger seemed ok. I’ll see what I think of mine after using it awhile.

From what I’ve read, a lot of people think the Ruger BX trigger is a decent upgrade for not a lot of money. It’s not a Kidd or Volquartsen, but it’s a fraction of the cost, and supposedly it’s noticeable better than the stock one. It makes you wonder why they don’t just sell the guns with that trigger installed. If I decide to upgrade, that’s likely to be the first stop for me.

I love 22s. I have a S&W 1522, SS 1022 and two Browning SA 22s. One of the Browning 22 is a Belgian made from the late 50s. I don't shoot it any more. Its worth $$$$$$. The newer of the two i shoot all the time. i like to shoot lefty and righty. with the bottom ejection it work for both. the barrel detaches with a 1/4 turn. on tools to field clean. when i go to the range other shooters have to look at it.
1675104558196.jpeg

I have no doubt the gun will be more accurate than me, as are probably most guns.

I rented an old 10/22 at my range before deciding to buy one, and I’m sure it was just a stock 10/22 with no modifications or upgrades. The trigger seemed ok. I’ll see what I think of mine after using it awhile.

From what I’ve read, a lot of people think the Ruger BX trigger is a decent upgrade for not a lot of money. It’s not a Kidd or Volquartsen, but it’s a fraction of the cost, and supposedly it’s noticeable better than the stock one. It makes you wonder why they don’t just sell the guns with that trigger installed. If I decide to upgrade, that’s likely to be the first stop for me.
They don't include the BX trigger except maybe for special editions because not everyone wants a lightened or modified trigger nor want to pay extra for it from the getgo.

I do/did have the BX trigger and feel that it was a good upgrade.

I love 22s. I have a S&W 1522, SS 1022 and two Browning SA 22s. One of the Browning 22 is a Belgian made from the late 50s. I don't shoot it any more. Its worth $$$$$$. The newer of the two i shoot all the time. i like to shoot lefty and righty. with the bottom ejection it work for both. the barrel detaches with a 1/4 turn. on tools to field clean. when i go to the range other shooters have to look at it.
I've got a Browning .22 Auto made by FN. One of the most accurate firearms Ive ever shot. I've also got a Norinco copy. The bottom eject can leave you with an unpleasant surprise if you don't know about it.

I also had a 10/22. I found it on sale at Walmart. I stuck it in the back of the closet, unopened. I ordered a Fajen unfinished drop-in thumbhole walnut stock. It was CNC routed but not sanded smooth. Scraped/sanded it and got it in good shape, followed by tung oil and water-based poly. I topped it all off with a nice, big scope (no soda straws for this gun!). It was capable of sub-one inch MOA with match ammo.

This is mine. It's about 25 years old. Was stock. I put a Green Mountain bull barrel on it. A hogue over molded stock. I put a 3 lb trigger in it. Don't remember who's. A inexpensive 4x16 scope. I can hit a flying rat { pigeon} on the power line from 100 yards. The suppressor is a Gemtech. With subsonic ammo it is virtually silent. Only hear the hammer fall.20230130_135347[1948].jpg20230130_135410[1949].jpg

i had a ejected case fall into my sneaker. i was not wearing socks, i have a brand on the top of my foot from the bottom ejection. are walmarts don't sell ammo or guns anymore. the BX trigger looks like a great update for my SS 1022.

I've got a Browning .22 Auto made by FN.

not to derail, I prefer FNs other ".22 cal".... wiiiiiiink. Pricey yes, but buy once, cry once. In reality my 2nd gen Five-seveN is hands down the pistol im most accurate with or baaaaarely second to my g19.

ok, back to 10/22s! on a serious note, Savage makes a lot of great cheap .22lr, but lets be real the 10/22 has likely one the largest/strongest aftermarket available along with the AR platform, AK platform, or glock (in general).

Back