GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my latest acquisition. It is a Savage Mark II SR. The scope is a Sight Mark 8.5 to 25 with an illuminated reticle. I already had the Spike's Tactical suppressor. I have only shot it once to start to sight in the scope. About 3am a day last week I put a sandbag on a step ladder, put a target at 50, 75 and 100 yards out in the desert. Lit the target up with one of my brighter flashlights and worked the hits into the 10 ring. Not the best of groups. But I'm on the paper. With the suppressor and subsonic ammo no one would have heard me outside of 20'. And as you can see in the picture, I just started building a Wilson Combat AR. It will have a 3lb Timney trigger. This one I'm building for myself.20221113_212602[1344].jpg

Just ordered 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 6.5x52R ammo from Gunbroker as a substitute for 25-35 WCF for my wife's Model 94. NOS 25-35 is running $6.50 to $8.00 a round and this worked out to $1.80 a round (not counting tax and shipping). Got some predator problems here and I don't really care for the pointy plastic tip on the Hornady "LEVERevolution" ammo for $3.00 a round (if you can find it).
We got her the Model 94 for sentimental reasons... it's what her mom hunted deer with in Washington until it was lost when their house burned down. Turns out that having grown up shooting a lever gun, I tend to shoot them the best, besides.

Just ordered 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 6.5x52R ammo from Gunbroker as a substitute for 25-35 WCF for my wife's Model 94. NOS 25-35 is running $6.50 to $8.00 a round and this worked out to $1.80 a round (not counting tax and shipping). Got some predator problems here and I don't really care for the pointy plastic tip on the Hornady "LEVERevolution" ammo for $3.00 a round (if you can find it).
We got her the Model 94 for sentimental reasons... it's what her mom hunted deer with in Washington until it was lost when their house burned down. Turns out that having grown up shooting a lever gun, I tend to shoot them the best, besides.
I used to have a Savage 1899 in 22 Savage Hi-Power, the only source of ammo for it besides case forming brass was Sellier and Bellots 5.6x52R (same round just European designation), the gun was a heck of a shooter.

23802291-2507-4F48-8C96-657F8B585599.jpeg

0DD35C39-0111-4F18-9016-AF263A4E2AB0.jpeg

I was able to pick up my new blaster a bit more than a week ago. It’s a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. All models since the redesign a few years ago are takedown models.

I’m in CA, so limited to 10-round magazines. The gun comes with one Ruger mag, and a Ruger mag well installed. But it also comes with a Glock mag well you can easily swap in, which I did, I bought a few Glock 10-round magazines for it.

I took it from the store where I bought it and went straight to a range in that area. It was kind of a mixed experience. I was excited about owning it, and it is fun to shoot, but I had some issues. The main issue was frequent malfunctions. There were failures to eject the spent cartridge and failures to feed. So I got some practice clearing jams (not exactly what I was hoping for). I shot a variety of ammunition through it, and none performed better than any other in terms of jams.

I asked the guys who run the range about it, and they all agreed that the problems were likely due to not properly lubing the gun before use. Like I said, I went straight to the range. I’m a new shooter, so they gave me some tips on cleaning the gun of the oil it was shipped with and applying some better products. I did that when I got home, and the action seems noticeably smoother, so hopefully that’s it. I also did the mag well swap when I got home, and can use the Glock mags now, so if there were reliability issues with the Ruger mag as well, those should be solved. I hope to get back to the range this week and try it again.

The charging handle comes installed on the right but can be swapped to the left. So I did that too. That feels more intuitive to me. I’ve ordered a tandemkross fiber optic front sight that I think will be easier to pick up through the ghost ring, and I’ll probably pop that on before I shoot it again.

Read up on the takedown mechanism. I still haven't heard of one that will stay locked up tight and not loosen when shooting enough rounds. If they made a non-takedown version, I'd have one for sure.

I'd go with G26 mags, as they are the original double-stack geometry with 10 rds, as opposed to the bastardized G19/G17 10 rounders that don't function reliably in Glocks.

View attachment 546363

View attachment 546364

I was able to pick up my new blaster a bit more than a week ago. It’s a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. All models since the redesign a few years ago are takedown models.

I’m in CA, so limited to 10-round magazines. The gun comes with one Ruger mag, and a Ruger mag well installed. But it also comes with a Glock mag well you can easily swap in, which I did, I bought a few Glock 10-round magazines for it.

I took it from the store where I bought it and went straight to a range in that area. It was kind of a mixed experience. I was excited about owning it, and it is fun to shoot, but I had some issues. The main issue was frequent malfunctions. There were failures to eject the spent cartridge and failures to feed. So I got some practice clearing jams (not exactly what I was hoping for). I shot a variety of ammunition through it, and none performed better than any other in terms of jams.

I asked the guys who run the range about it, and they all agreed that the problems were likely due to not properly lubing the gun before use. Like I said, I went straight to the range. I’m a new shooter, so they gave me some tips on cleaning the gun of the oil it was shipped with and applying some better products. I did that when I got home, and the action seems noticeably smoother, so hopefully that’s it. I also did the mag well swap when I got home, and can use the Glock mags now, so if there were reliability issues with the Ruger mag as well, those should be solved. I hope to get back to the range this week and try it again.

The charging handle comes installed on the right but can be swapped to the left. So I did that too. That feels more intuitive to me. I’ve ordered a tandemkross fiber optic front sight that I think will be easier to pick up through the ghost ring, and I’ll probably pop that on before I shoot it again.
I have a 9mm takedown variant in the red white and blue scheme. I've shot it a little with my 115 gr. reloads. Functioned fairly well with one stovepipe eject.. I live in a state that trusts it's citizens so all mags are available. I was using the generic magpul glock 15 round which generally function well. I also own a PSA AR 9 that uses Scorpion 35 round mags. That is a significantly pricier carbine but has been rock reliable with zero malfunctions to date. I would stay to FMJ ammo until you get all of the bugs worked out. Most new guns need to break in for a few boxes of ammo to get settled in.

Jim

Read up on the takedown mechanism. I still haven't heard of one that will stay locked up tight and not loosen when shooting enough rounds. If they made a non-takedown version, I'd have one for sure.

I'd go with G26 mags, as they are the original double-stack geometry with 10 rds, as opposed to the bastardized G19/G17 10 rounders that don't function reliably in Glocks.

Supposedly the takedown mechanism is pretty good. You can adjust it if needed by turning a wheel by hand.

I did go with the G26 mags. I didn’t see any need to go with a physically longer mag than necessary if they still only hold 10 rounds.

One odd thing on the issue of state compliance. There is the 10 round limit, and there are other rules too. In CA, there are rules about suppressors and flash hiders, but compensators are allowed. Some states don’t allow any muzzle accessories, apparently, but CA does allow compensators, so you can have a threaded barrel if you want.

I got the gun at Bass Pro, and they sell a few models, and they are usually in 2 classes. One is the 17+1 magazine capacity and has a threaded barrel — not available in their CA stores. The other is 10+1, without the threaded barrel. You can get that here and other states. That’s their “state compliant” model. Ruger sells another model that is 10+1, WITH a threaded barrel, which is legal here, but not carried by Bass Pro, at least it’s never shown on their website. I’ve seen it in other shops, but it’s usually $50 or $60 more expensive than the non-threaded.

So when I went to the store to start the process, the guy asked me if I wanted threaded or non. I told him I didn’t think they had them threaded. He said for some reason they had a few in stock and were selling the threaded version at a discount. So that’s what I got. It was $50 off. I paid $569, which is an awesome deal around here. They had the non-threaded for $619. The cheapest I’ve seen it anywhere else is $669, and it’s never in stock. And there are plenty of places selling them for over $700, right up to full MSRP.

I was happy with the deal!

Guns are great ... love em..... BUT WHAT I HATE ... is forums that wander all over the place... just be a rocket forum ... peace out

Guns are great ... love em..... BUT WHAT I HATE ... is forums that wander all over the place... just be a rocket forum ... peace out
Just ignore the thread and move on, then. The description of “The Watering Hole” says:
An area where general discussions can take place, that don't necessarily fit well into other categories. This can relate to rocketry, general chat, or any other topic not prohibited by TRF rules and guidelines.

Each user has the ability to ignore a thread or a user. If you ignore a thread you wouldn’t see it in your updates.

My newest purchase...NY compliant despite having a bipod and removable muzzle device.

20221115_171557.jpg

Funny story is that I was looking at a box of these at the dollar store when the woman at the counter filling balloons screamed as one popped. I held this up and said "Sorry! I didn't know it was loaded!" The store owner was nearby and laughed saying I should be more careful!
:p

Just ignore the thread and move on, then. The description of “The Watering Hole” says:
An area where general discussions can take place, that don't necessarily fit well into other categories. This can relate to rocketry, general chat, or any other topic not prohibited by TRF rules and guidelines.

Each user has the ability to ignore a thread or a user. If you ignore a thread you wouldn’t see it in your updates.
can we then move the coronavirus section to The Watering Hole too?

can we then move the coronavirus section to The Watering Hole too?
Better than that, the administrators created a completely separate coronavirus forum and they set it so the entire coronavirus forum (not just a thread at a time) can be added to your ignore list.

I’m happy to report that cleaning and lubing the PC Carbine made a HUGE improvement. It’s not perfect — I still had 2 malfunctions out of 150 rounds — but it’s far better than the dozen or so out of 150 I had previously.

Also, the front fiber optic sight made a big difference for me. It was much easier to pick up through the ghost ring.

So, I had a lot more fun on this trip to the range than the last one.

I also ordered this Holoson HS501c red dot optic on a pre-Black Friday deal.

93A52F91-E746-4D7B-BBA9-80FDF7015BDB.jpeg

This will be way more comfortable and easy to use than the iron sights that come with the PC Carbine or the fiber optic upgrade I installed.

I was able to check out something similar (different brand, more expensive) on my earlier trip to the range to try the gun for the first time, and it was so nice. There’s something about the combination of my eyesight and maybe stiff neck that make the ergonomics of sights mounted close to the bore very uncomfortable for me.

I really cannot wait to try it, but this is one of those things I’ll have to hand off to my wife and ask her to wrap it up for me for Christmas. It will arrive Sunday, but I won’t get to try it out for a month.

I finished my AR build. That is except for the dust cover door. The C clip slipped and headed for parts unknown. I ordered 4 more and some other parts from Midway. This one I built for myself. The AR is almost all Wilson Combat. The barrel is WC, Ranger profile, SS flutted match grade one. 1 in 8 twist. I like that twist because I think it the most versatile. The stock is Mission First Tactical. I put a 3 Lb Timney trigger in and KNS anti-walk pins. I swapped the WC buffer for a Spikes Tactical H3 heavy buffer. The scope is an Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2. It is a 2x12 power with a MOA reticle. I like the reticle because it is quick to get a good sight picture. There is a red semi circle in the center of the reticle. It is a first focal plane scope. It's the first scope I bought that is a FFP scope. I imagine there is a learning curve to using it for ranging. The muzzle device is a place holder. It will be replaced by a YHM QD compensator. I have a .30 cal YHM suppressor already and I bought a YHM Turbo T2 5.56 suppressor. It just landed at my gun shop. That makes three class 3 things I bought this year. A Benelli M3 SA SBS. It has a 14" barrel. A SilencerCo .45 suppressor and now the YHM. I think I'm just about all set. No wonder my wife told me to stop shopping. Yikes, I just added up this years buys. 5 guns and two suppressors. I gotta stay off gunbroker. I have enough parts to build two more AR's except for one rail. Another group of parts for another. That group still needs half a dozen more parts. Two more lowers and a box of parts. Trying not to take advantage of the sales this time of year is near impossible. I'll try to get out tomorrow and get on paper with the scope. Maybe take along some exploding targets.20221124_144214[1515].jpg20221124_144313[1516].jpg20221124_135935[1514].jpg

Customer- what do I need for a shot at 1000 yards on elk?
Me- Better hunting skills.
About 25 years ago, I worked part-time at the largest gun counter in Tulsa (jumbo sports). A customer was looking for a laser rangefinder to use while antelope hunting with his .270 Winchester. I told him he has one of the flatest shooting rounds for that type of hunting and to spend the $300 on ammo instead of the rangefinder, and get a good 3” high @ 100yd zero, and PRACTICE shooting at various ranges. I don’t think he liked my advice, but he did buy a couple of boxes of ammo.

That Holosun HS510c red dot I ordered earlier in the week — I placed the order because I got an email from Optics Planet promoting a special price as part of a pre-Black Friday sale.

Then I got an email yesterday showing a new price that was $10 less than what I paid.

And today ANOTHER email showing the price reduced another 5 bucks.

By the time my order arrives, they will probably be giving them away for free!

Hopefully some of you took advantage of the sale at SWFA this past week and got some new glass for your projects(?) I managed to pick up another 16X42 fixed SWFA Super Sniper loaded for $219. This will be used on my air rifle that I will be shooting Hunter Field Target with in the next shooting season. The Hunter division only allows a max of 16 power for scopes.

The SWFA Super Sniper line-up of scopes are by far my most favorite scope to own... no frills; rugged; and clear!! My favorite is the 3-15X42 FFP in mil/mil.

My Rem Long Range (30.06) w/ 3-15X42 mil/mil FFP

IMG_9586.JPG

Benjamin Akela with 16X42 fixed mil/mil

Akela_177_SWFA.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the new SWFA scope I just picked up on the Black Friday deal is going on this air rifle, a Rapid Air Weapons (RAW) TM1000 (.177 cal) set to 17 ftlbs: The scope shown mounted here, just does not have the clarity of the SWFA.IMG_2468.jpg

Latest posts

Back