GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored (2) boxes of 9mm brass case for 18.99 each and (2) boxed of 200 grain 300 BLK for 15.99 each at a local Blain's Farm & Fleet. Not great, but not bad, and happy to see some on the shelves locally.

Lab Radars are nice units - I like mine - too bad they only really read the first 100 yards.
This is plenty for many.
Must-have tool for reloaders and precision shooters.

Last edited:
From a different forum...

View attachment 485794

Very cool vapor trail on that shot. I spent 10 years shooting with the Navy shooting team (Atlantic Fleet, All Navy, Nationals)....and I always marveled how 'just the right conditions' and you could see the swirling vapor trails. 30 cal more so than the 5.56, but even the small bullets will do it given the right conditions.

Another cool phenomenon from the 600yd line, if conditions are P.E.R.F.E.C.T on the angle of the sun, you can see a flash of copper off of the bullet at the top of it's trajectory on the way to the target! It's quite the thing when you get a hundred shooters all blasting at the same time!

Another cool phenomenon from the 600yd line, if conditions are P.E.R.F.E.C.T on the angle of the sun, you can see a flash of copper off of the bullet at the top of it's trajectory on the way to the target! It's quite the thing when you get a hundred shooters all blasting at the same time!

Not sure if you are referring to rifles with or without optics. The reason I bring this up is that I am a FAL guy, the AR-15 platform is okay, I have one, but give me a battle rifle any day. (Not trying to start an argument.) There are numerous articles and videos of shooting the FAL out to 600 yards with iron sights. Iron sights! How the bloody heck can you do that? My FAL carries a Leopold 3.5x10 but it throws off the balance of the weapon and adds weight. Without the glass I couldn't hit squat. Will go to something smaller and lighter once the funds are available.
Anyway, the most amazing video I've seen is a young man shooting irons at a metal silhouette at 600 yards. Gun shot, pause and gong, over and over again.
I can barely keep shots on paper at over 100 yards without optics. Of course, my eyes are 6 decades old and I was never formally trained. Way back in my younger years I thought I was hot shite shooting 3" groups at 400 yards with a Remington 700, 7mm Mag mounted with a high end Leopold scope.
If there is a magic spell, special pill or a seasoned chicken foot that could help me hit anything at 600 with irons, I'd do it.

Not sure if you are referring to rifles with or without optics. The reason I bring this up is that I am a FAL guy, the AR-15 platform is okay, I have one, but give me a battle rifle any day. (Not trying to start an argument.) There are numerous articles and videos of shooting the FAL out to 600 yards with iron sights. Iron sights! How the bloody heck can you do that? My FAL carries a Leopold 3.5x10 but it throws off the balance of the weapon and adds weight. Without the glass I couldn't hit squat. Will go to something smaller and lighter once the funds are available.
Anyway, the most amazing video I've seen is a young man shooting irons at a metal silhouette at 600 yards. Gun shot, pause and gong, over and over again.
I can barely keep shots on paper at over 100 yards without optics. Of course, my eyes are 6 decades old and I was never formally trained. Way back in my younger years I thought I was hot shite shooting 3" groups at 400 yards with a Remington 700, 7mm Mag mounted with a high end Leopold scope.
If there is a magic spell, special pill or a seasoned chicken foot that could help me hit anything at 600 with irons, I'd do it.

The Military match shooting that I did was in line with CMP rules, that is to say iron sights. My first year I shot with an M1A and went to an AR15 from there. The trick is in realizing that the center black of the target at each range line (200,300,600) is the width of a "National Match" front sight post. A NM rear peep helps, too, as does a nice trigger.

Pistol shooting was done at 25 for rapid fire and 50yds for slow fire! Now that was challenging...with those "old, crappy rattle trap .45s" orders of magnitude easier to shoot to a higher standard than any of the new fangled 9mm M9 Berettas.

I got one of these way back when I was shooting black powder. Helps the front & rear sights and target stay in focus (or at least better). Same principle as cranking down your camera's aperture to increase depth-of-field.
You can go "cheap & dirty" with a black electrical tape disc with a pinhole (1/16 - 1/8 inch) stuck on your shooting glasses in the right spot so you're looking through the pinhole at the sights and target.
https://www.eabco.com/merit_apertures.html
I should add, these are not allowed in competition in many events and clubs.

Back