GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The area has an infestation of 55 drums and junk cars, need to keep them under control.
View attachment 450193
Not sure of brand of suppressor, was not my rifle.
My friend said to come and see the new hangar, while there he said "Want to go flying and shooting?" I said, "Yes I do." Good decision.

Neat, I always wondered why the pilot in a heli was on the right side whereas in fixed wing they sit in the left seat. I suspect it might have something to do with a right handed pilot can hold the cyclic stick in their right hand and the collective/throttle on the left.
Does that mean a left handed helicopter pilot has the option to fly from the left seat? Just ask'in. If I had the training I think I could do it from either side though right handed. Heck with instruction, the instructor would be on the left side and they sure would have to know how to fly from that position.
Took a flight in the back seat of a Jet Ranger one time and once the heli was at cruise, pilot hardly touched the collective. Must of had a friction lock like the throttle of a full sized airplane. I flew a few of those (planes) way back in the day.
Did nothing but R/C helis in my time (Concept 30) but had the controls of a full sized heli so I was able to get a taste. I suspect flying a real one is easier as one is in the pilot seat and orientation is not as hard as flying a model from the outside.

Have a pile of micro helis now I fly in the basement when the spirit strikes or fly outside when there is no wind. Most have collective pitch too except for a couple that are fixed pitch.

Kurt

Helicopter controls, So Pilot sits on right because it feels more like an airplane, collective in left hand has the throttle and up/down, pitch and roll on cyclic in right hand. In the helicopter we were in it would be difficult to reach the right seat controls from left seat.
Or so I have been told.
The left seat the collective is still on left by the door, much care is required when climbing over it getting in with the engine running.

and another thing....
Cabela’s near me, AZ, got ammunition in.
There is a line all the way to camping, one guy said three hours!

I was in Vegas today and stopped at Bass Pro Shop. They have completely removed the ammo shelves. I guess you have to ask for it so they can laugh at you. I didn't see any behind the counter and they have maybe a third of the guns the usually have. And an upper receiver from Spikes showed up today. It was ordered in July.

We had a guy who frequented the store that made a cartridge and rifle in .600 Overkill. It was bigger than a .50 cal. It was also a class three because of the size of the cartridge. I shot it at a gallon jug of water sitting on a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood. The jug just disappeared and the plywood split in two. I was only 25 feet so I couldn't miss. Kicked like a 3" 12 gauge slug.

Entertained some offers on my Ruger 5.56 carbine, 5.56 pistol, and 300 blackout carbine. Also got rid of 1 pistol I just don't shoot at all. Put all that $ toward Daniel Defense number 2 and 3 currently in the stable.

DDM4V7 in 300 Blackout, and DDM4V9 in 5.56. Both received Geissele SSAE triggers out of the gate. The 4X32 ACOG's that were on the Ruger's migrated on over nicely.

Sold off 4 buy 2. :)
Resized_20210222_131751_900.jpegResized_20210222_131735_7582.jpeg

If you want to have some fun, go to the KNOB CREEK MACHINE GUN SHOOT. It happens twice a year just outside Louisville Kentucky in October and April. I've been going for the last 7 years and it just keeps getting better. People from all over the country come as well as people from numerous foreign countries. You'd have to see it to believe it to believe it!! Large machine guns, tanks, 20, 37mm guns. Explosives of all sorts. Name it. It's truly amazing to see AND hear!!

If you want to have some fun, go to the KNOB CREEK MACHINE GUN SHOOT. It happens twice a year just outside Louisville Kentucky in October and April. I've been going for the last 7 years and it just keeps getting better. People from all over the country come as well as people from numerous foreign countries. You'd have to see it to believe it to believe it!! Large machine guns, tanks, 20, 37mm guns. Explosives of all sorts. Name it. It's truly amazing to see AND hear!!
I could not agree more, it's quite the experience! Only been down there once, but it was memorable. :)

Shot a Glock 17 gen 5 recently.... first Glock I have ever shot. SCARY how well I shoot/like it considering I'm such an HK fanboy. Stock sights are garbage IMO, but damn that platform is a shooter!

It is a drop in part, takes maybe 10-15 minutes. It will take a pound and a half off the trigger pull. I put one in my wife's model 19. And it came with night sites. I wish lightening my 1911 was that easy.
Then no, it was brand new out of the box, right to the range, no mods. My buddy wants to use it in stock GSSF shoots.

As an aside, here's something new to consider. Last March (2020) Natchez had a sale on cases of CCI Blazer Aluminum cased .45 ACP ammo. $230 per case, too good a deal to pass up. This was right before things really got crazy. I've never shot it before so I ordered a single case and thought I would try it out and maybe order more depending. It seemed folks either loved it or hated it. Well Covid hit and things went south and I have plenty of other .45 so I just now am getting around to trying it out. The first box I pull out a lot of the rounds have significant setback, like a scary Kaboom amount. I called CCI and to their credit they got back to me right away and asked for some photos. After they reviewed them, they told me the ammo had been made in 2015 and of the 100,000 rounds made in that lot, there were no other reported problems. Based on the photos of the plastic trays the rounds are packed in, they surmised the entire case had either been dropped or something very heavy had been dropped on it, causing the setback. They told me to take it up with the seller or the shipper, it was not a warranty issue. Of course I no longer had the original box and it's been a year, so I'm not hopeful.

So really just a cautionary tale. Inspect anything you get promptly and never assume just because the box looks ok that the contents are ok. I've seen setback in brass .45 ACP (one of the shortcomings of straight-walled cases) but nothing on this scale before. I suspect brass cases would not show nearly as much setback, but of course I can't be sure.

Just FYI.

Tony

This is the worst box, others don't have have nearly as many rounds or with as much setback as this box. All I did was flip the box upside down with a piece of cardboard over it and remove the plastic case:
short-rounds.jpg

bottom of the plastic case deformed by whatever caused the bullet setback (top row goes with the row of extremely setback rounds):
case-bottom.jpg

You can probably fix that, with a lot of work. You'll need a kinetic bullet puller (hammer), and reloading gear. At least you wouldn't have to re-prime all the cases. Not good that the mfgr wouldn't help out.

You can probably fix that, with a lot of work. You'll need a kinetic bullet puller (hammer), and reloading gear. At least you wouldn't have to re-prime all the cases. Not good that the mfgr wouldn't help out.
I had an issue with Blazer Aluminum 9mm ammunition. Apparently they received some aluminum cases that had the wrong material properties and primers were ejected when shooting. No an over pressure problem. Customer service could not have been better. They paid for the return and shipped me a whole new case.
I’m not saying that this is the same problem, but I’ve had excellent support from them.

I had an issue with Blazer Aluminum 9mm ammunition. Apparently they received some aluminum cases that had the wrong material properties and primers were ejected when shooting. No an over pressure problem. Customer service could not have been better. They paid for the return and shipped me a whole new case.
I’m not saying that this is the same problem, but I’ve had excellent support from them.
In this case they feel the problem occurred after the rounds left the factory so it's not on them. That seems like a reasonable assumption after looking at the plastic cases. I was surprised to hear the ammo was made in 2015 and I did not buy it until last March (2020). So that means it rattled around somewhere for 5 years. Who knows what could have happened in that time.

Aluminum cases can't be reloaded, so the ones that are too short I will pull the bullets and pass them on.

The rep did say that the rounds that have the right OAL should be fine to shoot. I need to print a go/no go gauge and get to work. Fortunately I have no shortage of ammo so it's not a huge deal, but it was still pretty disappointing to find those rounds. If I had paid what the current prices are I would likely feel a lot different.

Tony

Just checked today on my latest Form 1 and a pending Form 4.

Form 1 e-file individual approved in 11 days!
Form 4 individual approved in 4 months!

In 30 years of owning NFA items, that's hands down the FASTEST approvals on either form that I've EVER had. Mirrors what seems to be happening a lot lately!

The down side is that it used to take 10 calendar days or less to get stamp/paperwork in hand, but it seems like they're batch sending stamps out once or twice a month, with 30-45 days delivery being common. :( (e-file stamp/paperwork is returned via email, so no delays there!)

In this case they feel the problem occurred after the rounds left the factory so it's not on them. That seems like a reasonable assumption after looking at the plastic cases. I was surprised to hear the ammo was made in 2015 and I did not buy it until last March (2020). So that means it rattled around somewhere for 5 years. Who knows what could have happened in that time.

Aluminum cases can't be reloaded, so the ones that are too short I will pull the bullets and pass them on.

The rep did say that the rounds that have the right OAL should be fine to shoot. I need to print a go/no go gauge and get to work. Fortunately I have no shortage of ammo so it's not a huge deal, but it was still pretty disappointing to find those rounds. If I had paid what the current prices are I would likely feel a lot different.

Tony
I would be disappointed also. The ammo I had that had a problem with too soft aluminum was from 2016. When they replaced it they sent me a full case of brass Blazer to make up for the 800 rounds I returned of aluminum. I’m very satisfied.
Good luck. Maybe you could make a spacer to fit into an intertial bullet puller and just pull them back out to spec. 😁

I found Federal Aluminum 9mm has the primers eject and hit you in the face when using a Suppressor on a Walther P99. No issue with the Federal Brass and no issues without the suppressor.

I learned Blazer was junk when it came out in '81.
Will not use in my guns.
I've shot thousands of rounds of Blazer Brass with zero issues. This was my first ever case of the aluminum. For $230/case for .45, it seemed too good a deal to be true.

I guess it was!!

Tony

I know someone that is reloading them.
In the photo below, you'll note the cases are stamped 'N R', for 'Non Reloadable'. The personal liability in reloading cases against the manufacturers recommendation and the physical marking on the case is not something I would want to experience if a cartridge went sideways and personal injury resulted.

As the saying goes: just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Tony

45-alum.jpg

Last edited:
Back