GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local sporting good store ammo score of the week:
(3) 20 round boxes of brass 5.56, $10.99 per box, limit 3
(2) 50 round boxes of good quality .22 LR, $5.99 per box, limit 3 (they only had two boxes)
(1) 100 round box of brass 9mm, $31.99 for the single box on the shelf they had

$81.17 out the door for all of the above. Not great, but seeing more available locally.... slowly...
WOW!!! Where are you getting ammo at???? 5.56 @ $10.99 a box is a steal!

WOW!!! Where are you getting ammo at???? 5.56 @ $10.99 a box is a steal!
There is a sporting good chain up in WI and MI called Dunhams... https://www.dunhamssports.com/about-us.html

One of the few places that have not adjusted their margins in line with current market value/demand surge.

I've also scored ammo at (2) Fleet Farm locations in WI as well. Luckily I'm still shooting though 5.56 and 9mm I stocked up on in early 2019 when Federal had some killer rebates in play.

Wow, love the picture. My dunhams haven't had 5.56 for weeks and definitely not a 10 bucks a box.

Hi all! Every couple of months I get an ad to join the NRA. Thoughts? I like guns, though, just as many around here are L1-L2_L3 in rockets and very good with guns, I'm LPR, and my vast arsenal consist of a cheap .22 revolver inherited from my aunt and a Marlin-Glenfield .22 bolt action I've had for about 47 years or so. But I keep kicking the idea around to join at least as a statement. Are there better/alternate organizations? I've heard they are having troubles organizationally, but they certainly are the lightning rod for those slightly less inclined toward gun ownership. And I know they offer good training.

More back story, my wife is thinking about a handgun/concealed carry permit for us both, and I said fine, as long as you commit to taking safety & tactics courses and us going to the range until you are proficient and about once a month afterwards.

Yes, Join the NRA. The problems they are having is the Attorney General of NY. She is an anti-gunner. They had to declare bankruptcy and are moving out of NY and going to Texas. If you buy a gun get training and practice. I worked at a gun store that had a range. I was an instructor. If you bought a gun from us we would show the customer how to take it apart. How to clean and oil it. And then we went to the range for familiarization, safety and marksmanship. Try to find a store that just won't say here is you gun, goodbye, next.

NRA has a lot of safety and shooting classes available. You can be a non member and still take classes at local ranges, normally there is one a week at my local indoor range. If the wife is interested in shooting, get her in a class. Get a babysitter and call it 'date night' or something, try to make it fun.

Bought my girl, just under 5 feet, a new M&P Shield 9 EZ for the holidays. Her first firearm. She has a CCL/concealed license. Teaching her to shoot would be as productive as teaching her how to drive (if she didn't know how), or her "teaching" me how to drive. Bad scenarios. Neither would probably go over very well. So she had her first pro training session 1:1 last week. The grin on her face as she entered the front door holding her two targets still makes me laugh. Tomorrow morning she has a training session with a State Trooper/Gun shop owner, also 1:1. Training and practice, practice, practice. Even though generic ammo in my parts is in somewhat short supply and double (or even more, bandits!) usual prices...

Then we're going shooting outside together so she can show me what she learned. And so I can demonstrate why she might want shorty shells instead of all 00 buckshot loads (8 or 9 x 1/3" round lead projectiles leaving together at >1000 f/s, for the uninitiated) for the household 12g...

Maybe I'll bring along a few rockets and/or some fireworking shells that need testing--not all states are complete nanny states, thank goodness, and there's not really any extreme fire danger around here with so much freshly-fallen snow, ooph!

Last edited:
@teepot, yes, I heard about the NY thing and it figures... But I'd heard about some discontent as well with LaPierre's leadership. Still, as you and others have said, they have the training and all. And again, I'm all on board with training, understanding the legal aspects, practice, and training, and practice, and understanding the legal aspects. :)

There is nothing more dangerous than someone who buys a gun, puts it in their pocket or purse, and thinks they are safe now. Criminee, there's no guarantee you're safe even if you're a crack shot! And I'm pretty sure there are some situations where you just hand over your wallet and hope they leave... though I would be tempted to put 5 or 6 warning shots into their back...:rolleyes:

Shorty Shells "Cabelas Herters" Mini Shells work fine in a pump and side by-side but will not work in a Semi-Auto Shot Gun. They are much more safe for home DEFENSE use as penetration outside the home is reduced by at least half.

Last edited:
That's a Concept III, which is really a Premier II with a blued upper and stainless lower. I also have a Baer Monolith heavyweight, I have both set up with brown extended mag buttons, flatwire wilson 13# recoil springs and guide, and ed brown magwell funnel for PPC matches and practice. Otherwise they are stock. I practice a lot with the Concept III since the stainless holds up better to sweat etc. Below I have a representative group at 25 yards with the monolith at 1.1 in center to center for five shots. They're both set up with nearly identical pull weights of just under 3 lb, and I shot nearly identical scores to almost the same x count with both.

IMG_20190215_123917320~2.jpgWP_20170417_12_29_43_Pro.jpg

Noice Les Baer! 1911, Boss, correct?
https://www.lesbaer.com/boss45.html

Last edited:
The area has an infestation of 55 drums and junk cars, need to keep them under control.
View attachment trim.1CE6A1E0-DE67-48FE-B7FE-20B1FDCE5468.MOV
Not sure of brand of suppressor, was not my rifle.
My friend said to come and see the new hangar, while there he said "Want to go flying and shooting?" I said, "Yes I do." Good decision.

Hi all! Every couple of months I get an ad to join the NRA. Thoughts? I like guns, though, just as many around here are L1-L2_L3 in rockets and very good with guns, I'm LPR, and my vast arsenal consist of a cheap .22 revolver inherited from my aunt and a Marlin-Glenfield .22 bolt action I've had for about 47 years or so. But I keep kicking the idea around to join at least as a statement. Are there better/alternate organizations? I've heard they are having troubles organizationally, but they certainly are the lightning rod for those slightly less inclined toward gun ownership. And I know they offer good training.

More back story, my wife is thinking about a handgun/concealed carry permit for us both, and I said fine, as long as you commit to taking safety & tactics courses and us going to the range until you are proficient and about once a month afterwards.
Gun Owners of America is a good group to look into.

Latest posts

Back