GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mossberg 500 is often looked down upon by gun shops...mostly because they almost never break.

Birdshot is great for defensive use inside a house. Close range, no over-penetration through exterior walls.

Now get some training on using it.

Thanks, Kit.

It seems like a nice gun, and from what I’ve heard, it’s very reliable, like you said.

I’m looking forward to getting some training as soon as the classes open up again. The Livermore Gun Club, which is very nearby, offers training, but classes are canceled for now. The Guns Fishing store here in Dublin also has classes on their schedule that are canceled, but it’s an indoor range, so I can’t really imagine what they are doing. The range I’m most interested in checking out is out toward Snow Ranch in Linden. But they are very restricted right now.

You will need to shoot left handed. the "band-aids" people try for cross dominate more than often don't work.
but don't sweat it much. takes time. low cost classes are OK. high dollar personal one on one, not so much IMHO
there is such a whole world out there about shotgun fit, etc. and while it is 99% of the time very true, it's more important in the first few outings to just get used to it. However the sooner you can adapt, and learn a good "mount" the results may make a remarkable improvment. it is very specific to the individual, much like a golf swing in that respect. and just like Golf there is a lot of "instructors' and experts..most are in fact correct, but the minor to medium details are up your liking.
**says the guy who one day discovered how to never hit a Slice, and even be able to hit a Hook on demand at times**
*** I am mostly left handed, "play" all sports right handed, and left eye dominate, shoot left handed***

oooh Livermore... just looked at a Sat pic. very Trap oriented. very good. The Elite of the Elistists. No doubt you will get some to scoff at your Mossy 500!
and insist you get a "lifetime" Kolar or Perazzi or at least a Beretta. LOL!!! But funny how the same people are always buyng and selling these "lifetime 500,000 round shotguns" HAHAH. anyway, one of the very best ever Trap shooters (mnay years deceased) used a Remington 870 pump.
I do like the Japan SKB's. in good condition they are an excellent value, well made and durable. Parts and service still available. It's cool to have something with history. For many Years Ithaca imported them. So you have Japan made Ithaca/SKB and SKB "new" Japan. The SKB site has the history.
can you tell I am a fan boy lol!!
look : it was $1200 with a case and 7 Seminole hi-dollar chokes:
IMG_6755.JPGIMG_6757.JPG

I have a new Browning BT-99 that is a POS compared to this old 1980+ shotgun.'
And my Mossberg 930 (walnut, 28" hunting) is better IMHO than the 2x cost Browning.

I kinda hope you get addicted to it LOLOLOL! although 1 or 5 is plenty enough.

oooh Livermore... just looked at a Sat pic. very Trap oriented. very good. The Elite of the Elistists. No doubt you will get some to scoff at your Mossy 500!
and insist you get a "lifetime" Kolar or Perazzi or at least a Beretta. LOL!!! But funny how the same people are always buyng and selling these "lifetime 500,000 round shotguns" HAHAH. anyway, one of the very best ever Trap shooters (mnay years deceased) used a Remington 870 pump.
I do like the Japan SKB's. in good condition they are an excellent value, well made and durable. Parts and service still available. It's cool to have something with history. For many Years Ithaca imported them. So you have Japan made Ithaca/SKB and SKB "new" Japan. The SKB site has the history.
can you tell I am a fan boy lol!!
look : it was $1200 with a case and 7 Seminole hi-dollar chokes:
View attachment 435597View attachment 435598

That’s definitely a beautiful shotgun. As a guy who just shelled out a few hundred for a basic shotgun, mostly to not be defenseless if the poo hits the fan, and hasn’t even had an opportunity to shoot it yet, I’m probably not going to step up to that level just yet, but I can understand the appeal. It looks nice. Congratulations on your purchase!

I’ve been to the Livermore range once before with some friends and relatives to shoot pistols, and I did not get an elitist vibe off the place. Hopefully they pick up the basic shotgun classes again soon, but it looks like everything is canceled for the foreseeable future.

The Mossberg 500 is often looked down upon by gun shops...mostly because they almost never break.

Birdshot is great for defensive use inside a house. Close range, no over-penetration through exterior walls.

Now get some training on using it.
I have a Mosssie as well. I load a 'less than lethal' as my first round, followed by birdshot and then 00 buck. In the house it has the shortest barrel allowed by law. It's a 28" for skeet. I figure it will play well in the court room if someone decides I'm a stone cold killer. :)

I don’t actually expect to be very good at it because my eyesight is not good, and I am strongly cross eye dominant (right handed, but a very dominant left eye).
I too am left eye dominant. I am generally ambidextrous or right-handed, but I can only shoot left-handed. Doesn't work the other way. There is nothing like hot shell casings brushing past your cheeks when shooting a semi-auto. Makes bolt-actions a PITA as well.

Thirsty: If you‘re left eye dominant, you CAN learn to shoot left handed. You can also try mounting red dot sight on the shotty and aim with BOTH eyes open. At “Social distances” (under 20 feet or so) that will work. Wing, trap, skeet is a different matter as lead (“LEED“ not “LED”) enters into it.

Pat: So I guess Ma Deuce is out of the question then?

Edit: Cross eye dominant over here as well.

Slightly amusing anecdote: I got my 22 semi-auto for my 12th birthday. I had been shooting an air-rifle since I was 8. We lived about ten houses from the primary school so I took the rifle, scope and 15-shot clip (no ammo) in for show-and-tell to give the whole class a look. Brought it back home at morning break. Didin't get into any trouble or anything. You couldn't do that these days.

Last edited:
similar here to OTP back in those days.
7th grade though, was a model rocket demo for science class. Battery was pooched, it didn't ignite, and so of course there was a lot of laughter, and I probably got frog punched on the Arm. LOL

P.S. pretty sure it was an Estes X-ray :)

Inside 30 feet bird shot is devastating to soft tissue. The coroner calls it a rat hole wound. I have couple of Mossberg 590's. Never had a problem. Try Gunbroker for what you need. There are no shortages of ammo or guns on Gunbrooker. Just be prepared to pay more for almost everything. Good luck.

I spent a couple weeks checking Big Five, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Dicks, Sportsman’s Warehouse, and a local shop called Guns Fishing and Other Stuff.

As you consider future purchases - of guns, or other sporting gear - please consider taking your business someplace other than Dick's. Dick's, despite selling some guns, has come out as anti-second-amendment. It uses a portion of its profits to lobby for taking away your constitutional rights. Don't give money to people who want to take away your rights.
And, congratulations on your purchase - hope it gives you much service and enjoyment!

As you consider future purchases - of guns, or other sporting gear - please consider taking your business someplace other than Dick's. Dick's, despite selling some guns, has come out as anti-second-amendment. It uses a portion of its profits to lobby for taking away your constitutional rights. Don't give money to people who want to take away your rights.
And, congratulations on your purchase - hope it gives you much service and enjoyment!

There are a few reasons that Dick’s is my last choice for sporting goods of any kind.

I have a Mosssie as well. I load a 'less than lethal' as my first round, followed by birdshot and then 00 buck. In the house it has the shortest barrel allowed by law. It's a 28" for skeet. I figure it will play well in the court room if someone decides I'm a stone cold killer. :)
Don’t forget the Biden shotgun legal defense...

Went back in time this time. 1830's vintage repro Underhammer Black Powder Cap and Ball Muzzleloader (44 Cal.) Will blow your head clean off, now go ahead, make my day... Now when I need black powder for my ejection charges, I can tell the bastards at Cabellas it's "For a black powder gun"
According to federal regulations, this is NOT a firearm...

20201021_114348_HDR.jpg

Here’s a question about chokes.

The shotgun came with a 28” barrel with a set of 3 chokes — improved cylinder, modified, and full. And I bought an accessory 20” barrel which was supposed to come with the same 3 chokes. But instead of improved cylinder, the accessory barrel actually had a skeet choke screwed into it and a modified and full in the package. I’m not sure if it was shipped with the wrong thing or if the marketing materials are wrong, but I’m actually happy to have 4 to choose from now.

I understand how IC, M, and F are for progressively tighter patterNs. Where does skeet fall in? Is it for more open patterns than the others, less open, or in the middle somewhere? And if you were setting up the gun with the 20” barrel for home defense, which one would you use?

I understand you should pattern the gun to see how it works with different chokes and different ammo, and I look forward to doing that. But for now I don’t have any good opportunities to do it. Until I can, what would you use?

Thanks.

I tried looking it up, but mostly found info like the bottom graphic that doesn’t include the skeet choke. Or it would be vague, like, “The skeet choke is used for skeet.” And one video about chokes did not talk specifically about the skeet choke, but flashed a graphic that implied it wasn’t narrowed at all and actually was wider than the straight cylinder. They didn’t actually say it, but that’s what the graphic looked like.

The top graphic answers my question. Thanks!

Im waiting on my sot2 paper still, and starting with what I can. I have a tarus G3c and a heritage rough rider on hand, sold the sig P365sas I had. Other things on order- some stuff from eaa.

Latest posts

Back